U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 PM

397 posts, read 824,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Fridges are standard in apartments in much of the country.
I probably wouldn't trust a place that didn't have a fridge. If the landlord is being cheap with a fridge what else are they being cheap with?

The biggest issue I found, I was looking for a place where utilities were included, was the lack of Air Conditioning and the ban of it in many buildings. Needless to say those places were crossed off my list as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,784,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
WHAT? lol. Are all renters that bad? What do you do to "trash" a fridge as opposed to any other amenity in an apartment such as a stove, dishwasher, etc?? They seriously expect me to bring my own fridge???? I guess so...??
A stove and a dishwasher are much easier to clean and take care of than a fridge. Fridges are used very frequently and more prone to problems than either the stove or dishwasher because of it. Landlords don't put fridges in apartments in this area, they also put carpet as a rule generally(unless you're in an industry loft type place) where more of the country will have hardwood or tile otherwise. Apartments are a very limited resource in the LA area. If you want something nice, you need to rent a condo. People pay here for a bedroom what you can get in many other metro areas for a studio/1bd

Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 PM

397 posts, read 824,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Landlords don't put fridges in apartments in this area, they also put carpet as a rule generally(unless you're in an industry loft type place) where more of the country will have hardwood or tile otherwise. Apartments are a very limited resource in the LA area. If you want something nice, you need to rent a condo. People pay here for a bedroom what you can get in many other metro areas for a studio/1bd
I've lived in apartments in 4 states and all of them had carpet. I've never been in an apartment that didn't have carpet, my own or my friends.

In fact, it'd be very odd for an apartment to NOT have carpet!

There are plenty of nice apartments in Los Angeles. Ones with fridges even!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM

1,327 posts, read 4,765,998 times
I have lived in different states and I agree, it is a CA phenomenon, it is probably due to a combination of problems that CA renters have created. One has to do with liability, fridge smelling, food going bad, fridge making noise, the list goes on. If the landlords had a way, they would not provide the range or the water heater for that matter. Most places have someone that would rent you a fridge for ~$50/month. But then again, buying an average fridge from Home depot is cheaper in the long run. You will have to haul it with you but chances are you will need it for your next place.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,667,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
You will have to haul it with you but chances are you will need it for your next place.
That's the part that sucks though. I can move everything else I own but that fridge is a beast so I have to spend money on movers.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:07 AM

2,487 posts, read 4,626,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Is it strange that a place doesn't come with a fridge? Is that not the case elsewhere?
I was baffled when I started apartment hunting in Orange County and didn't see anything with a fridge. I'd always lived on the east coast and had never heard of a unit without a refridgerator.

I don't even see how they'd get trashed. Worst case scenario the tenant leaves a big mess in there that needs to be cleaned out, but that's not that big of a deal. It should still function fine mechanically. In my whole life I don't think I've ever had an issue with a refridgerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
I've lived in apartments in 4 states and all of them had carpet. I've never been in an apartment that didn't have carpet, my own or my friends.

In fact, it'd be very odd for an apartment to NOT have carpet!

There are plenty of nice apartments in Los Angeles. Ones with fridges even!
My ghetto apartment here in Manhattan has all hardwood floors, as did a majority of others that we looked at.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,465,529 times
In LA, everything is hit or miss. Bottom line.

My apartment has central ac, central heat, dishwasher. It did not come with a fridge.

Some of my friends have all. Some do not have central ac. It's all a tradeoff here.

To be honest, I'm not sure why there is a no fridge policy by many landlords. I never understood it.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM

6,663 posts, read 27,024,412 times
With the high cost of electricity many land lords are afraid the tenant will sue for excessive energy cost on a older fridge. I know many land lords that will not install garbage disposals.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM

106 posts, read 413,448 times
I've rented for over a quarter century throughout Texas and never found an apartment that didn't have all the basic appliances. The only place where I've heard appliances aren't standard is Europe.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,915,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Fridges are standard in apartments in much of the country.
True. I've lived in six different states and not one apartment I looked at didn't have a fridge. Even when I lived in San Jose, all apartments I looked at had a fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles