Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times

Advertisements

Your temp concerns place you on the coast(within 2 miles). Because of the moisture, the temps don't drop too low, and because of the onshore flow, the temps never get too high.

There are many of these areas in So Cal that will fit what you're asking for. The one I know is Seal Beach. The only concerns would be square footage. Many of the houses in Old Town are small, but many have also been remodeled. Houses on the Hill a more traditional 50s and later style homes though and have plenty of square footage. That said, prices are higher, but not as high as Rolling Hills or Rancho PV. It has a small town feel despite being in the LA area(very few small town areas around here) because of the small city, quaint Old Town area, and rather strong community.

In regards to PV, you will find what you like there, but the problem with PV is the remoteness. It is far from the freeway and the traffic at the bottom of the hill to the freeway is always bad. The area itself is fine, but limited in all it provides comparatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAOcean View Post
Great responses! Is anywhere in Conejo Valley green, or is the area pretty dry in terms of nature? I love the lakes.

Is Conejo Valley particularly fire prone?

Besides the higher cost, is there anything else not fitting the criteria in respect to Palos Verdes or San Marino. I was told they have the small town feel.

Any possibly negatives to the Conejo Valley I make be overlooking?

Thanks again, really appreciate all this great input.
No, it's not more fire-prone than anywhere else. It's pretty green for Southern California.
I think Palos Verdes and San Marino are both very pretty places. I don't know anything about the people.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM

15 posts, read 48,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Your temp concerns place you on the coast(within 2 miles). Because of the moisture, the temps don't drop too low, and because of the onshore flow, the temps never get too high.

There are many of these areas in So Cal that will fit what you're asking for. The one I know is Seal Beach. The only concerns would be square footage. Many of the houses in Old Town are small, but many have also been remodeled. Houses on the Hill a more traditional 50s and later style homes though and have plenty of square footage. That said, prices are higher, but not as high as Rolling Hills or Rancho PV. It has a small town feel despite being in the LA area(very few small town areas around here) because of the small city, quaint Old Town area, and rather strong community.

In regards to PV, you will find what you like there, but the problem with PV is the remoteness. It is far from the freeway and the traffic at the bottom of the hill to the freeway is always bad. The area itself is fine, but limited in all it provides comparatively.
Thanks for the great reply, I think we would not mind the remoteness of Palos Verdes, but cost may be an issue.

We have seen San Marino before, and loved how it looked but temperature, cost, and lack of diversity may be an issue.

Conejo Valley still seem like a great option to look more into, besides a possible temperature concern, anyone have more facts about the area, especially related to:

-Very safe area
-Great school system
-Relatively good temperature (not over 100 in the summer, or below 40 in the winter, for example)
-Reasonably low local traffic
-Relatively good bang for the buck in square footage for the house
-Relatively good diversity
-Small town/friendly feel (not urban)

We are also okay with Orange County if the criteria can be met, but it sounds like Orange County is also pretty expensive for square feet.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Thanks for the great reply, I think we would not mind the remoteness of Palos Verdes, but cost may be an issue.

We have seen San Marino before, and loved how it looked but temperature, cost, and lack of diversity may be an issue.

Conejo Valley still seem like a great option to look more into, besides a possible temperature concern, anyone have more facts about the area, especially related to:

-Very safe area
-Great school system
-Relatively good temperature (not over 100 in the summer, or below 40 in the winter, for example)
-Small town/friendly feel (not urban)

We are also okay with Orange County if the criteria can be met, but it sounds like Orange County is also pretty expensive for square feet.
I don't think safe areas with good schools and temperate climates also give you bang for your buck in houses. I think it's usually one or the other. Otherwise, everyone would be there.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 48,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I don't think safe areas with good schools and temperate climates also give you bang for your buck in houses. I think it's usually one or the other. Otherwise, everyone would be there.
That's true, but some areas seem to be especially inflated in terms of price because of the "brand name" - for example Beverley Hills. We don't care for any brand, but are looking for quality. Another example is Westwood, which has high prices in part due to it's vicinity to the university, which is not needed for someone not attending UCLA. You can't find a place under 1 million in Westwood, no matter how small and old, near UCLA.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:

The Conejo Valley is about the same as a lot of South OC as far as $/sqft unless you're really close to the ocean in OC. TO is about the same as Irvine in $/sqft. Further south is cheaper like Mission Viejo and RSM - probably because they are farther from jobs.

You can perform all sorts of fun analysis using redfin data.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
I am planning to move to LA with the family (small kids included), and looking for a neighborhood that meets the following criteria:

-Very safe area
-Great school system
-Small town feel (not urban)
Check-out Aliso Viejo in Orange County ( next to Laguna Beach). It’s safe, very small (about 7.5 sq. miles), quiet, and hilly with flowers everywhere, atrue Town Center, with mild temperatures, easy-going without political friction, with a green initiative, relative diversity for OC (for example, a Buddhist inspired University and OC‘s largest Synagogue), low traffic except for the main arteries, a bargain in comparison to LA and Irvine, and with good schools, 23 parks and a soon-to-be 25 acre (memorial and teaching) organic ranch (Savannah's Organic Ranch) on leased city park land.

TOWN CENTER
YouTube - ‪Aliso Viejo Town Center‬‏

38 REMINGTON Ln, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S656260

57 SANTA BARBARA, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S660197

26 ALISAL, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S660509

FWIW, Aliso Viejo (as did Tustin) made Forbes' List of America's 25 Best Towns

In Depth: America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well - 16. Aliso Viejo, Calif. - Forbes.com

Regarding one of Forbes’ listed drawbacks, the Soka University Performing Arts Center opens this fall:
YouTube - ‪Interview w David Palmer, General Manager, Soka Performing Arts Center‬‏

Aliso Viejo is a young city, so we're working on the rest.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-03-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Check-out Aliso Viejo in Orange County ( next to Laguna Beach). It’s safe, very small (about 7.5 sq. miles), quiet, and hilly with flowers everywhere, atrue Town Center, with mild temperatures, easy-going without political friction, with a green initiative, relative diversity for OC (for example, a Buddhist inspired University and OC‘s largest Synagogue), low traffic except for the main arteries, a bargain in comparison to LA and Irvine, and with good schools, 23 parks and a soon-to-be 25 acre organic ranch (Savannah's Organic Ranch) on leased city park land.

38 REMINGTON Ln, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S656260

57 SANTA BARBARA, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S660197

26 ALISAL, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S660509

FWIW, Aliso Viejo (as did Tustin) made Forbes' List of America's 25 Best Towns

In Depth: America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well - 16. Aliso Viejo, Calif. - Forbes.com

Regarding one of Forbes’ listed drawbacks, the Soka University Performing Arts Center opens this fall:
YouTube - ‪Interview w David Palmer, General Manager, Soka Performing Arts Center‬‏

Aliso Viejo is a young city, so we're working on the rest.
I dunno about mild temps. Always hotter there than on the beach.. Played a damn football game on the turf field(why not use grass?!?) and it was 120 on the field(about 105 ambient off the melting rubber)

Old 07-03-2011, 11:43 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I dunno about mild temps. Always hotter there than on the beach.. Played a damn football game on the turf field(why not use grass?!?) and it was 120 on the field(about 105 ambient off the melting rubber)
Check the chart:
Average Weather for Aliso Viejo, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Contact AVCA if you have a beef about a turf field. BTW, where was that??? You should also contact Ripley's Believe It Or Not about that, um, 120 degree temperature in Aliso Viejo.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Check the chart:
Average Weather for Aliso Viejo, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Contact AVCA if you have a beef about a turf field. BTW, where was that??? You should also contact Ripley's Believe It Or Not about that, um, 120 degree temperature in Aliso Viejo.
Like I said, wasn't the ambient temp, was the temp on the field at Aliso Niguel High School. The stated temp by the weather service was over 100, but turf, like asphalt, heats up the air over it hotter than the weather service temp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles