Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,353 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile.

I got a new job in Pasadena and will be moving from OC, however the issue is that most of my friends up there live near Santa Monica. I've gone through the forums and have often seen the mantra 'live close to work' but I feel like Pasadena to SM would be a tough drive every time I go visit.

Would downtown be the best compromise? I'm pretty sure that the drive to work won't be that bad from DT, although I've heard the resurgence in DT has upped the rent prices. Any thoughts or insight from people who have had similar scenarios?

Some extra details: Male, mid-20's, semi-active, rent budget ~$1500 (less is better - wanna save for a house someday!), Scorpio, and likes long walks on the beach

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I can tell you my daughter used to "live in the middle" and commuting left her too tired to go out often. She now lives close to work and is making new freinds in that area and often goes out with people after work, something she didn't usually do before. She still sees her more distant friends by taking turns going to visit each other but they often end up spending the night when they do. I don't know what the LA to Pasadena at rush hour drive is like but some people have more patience with that sort of thing.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Unless you hang out with your friends as often as you go to work, then living in the middle is not worth it. Live close to work.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Downtown to Pasadena is an easy commute by car. Or you can take the Gold Line if your office is close by the train.

Downtown to SM on the weekends isn't that bad. Now with Downtown experiencing a resurgance, it is worth it to live there.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
The problem with the "live in the middle" thing is you have to drive to both your social life and your job. Plus if you end up making new friends at your job they will likely live in the Pasadena area.

Although DT->Pasadena is an easy commute, it doesn't really put you that much closer to Santa Monica. Also keep in mind that when driving from Pasadena to Santa Monica on the weekends if you live close to the 110 there is only 10 extra minutes there...a drive you won't be doing that often anyway compared to your commute. The worst part of that drive is the part between DT and Santa Monica (mostly close to Santa Monica).

If you want to live in DT it's a nice neighborhood though, but keep in mind you are giving yourself a commute to work AND you are still quite far from your social life, anyway.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
I used to live in downtown and getting to Santa Monica in the evenings (after rush hour) was pretty easy. A straight shot down the 10 Freeway.....as quick as 15 minutes (with no traffic).

However, I think you should choose to live where you WANT to live. Downtown is great but it's not for everyone.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,353 times
Appreciate everyone's feedback. Right now I'm probably leaning towards Downtown, as it's seems to have a bit more activities. But if I find I don't like it, I'll just head up to Pasadena when the lease it up. I'll be visiting both areas next week for the hunt

Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Pasadena has a cool downtown too, but downtown LA is way better for a single person. The commute to Pasadena isn't that bad. Besides on weekends, why drive the extra 30 minutes to see your friends if you live in Pasadena?

Plus a lot of people go out Downtown now who live on the Westside.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM

95 posts, read 275,036 times
Depending on where exactly you'll be working in Pasadena, you should consider living downtown and taking the Gold Line to work. My husband makes that commute everyday, and it's super easy. Driving is also a breeze -- you'd be going against most of the traffic, and it's a short drive. But the Metro is even better, because instead of focusing on the highway, you can read the paper, etc.

Whether you should live downtown or in Pasadena depends on the kind of person you are and what you're looking for in a neighborhood. When my husband and I moved to LA from the east coast, it took us all of two hours to see that Downtown was the place for us, even though it requires a short daily commute to Pasadena. We love it here. But for someone else, Pasadena might be the right choice. If you've visited both places, the differences should be obvious.

You can definitely find a nice place under $1500 downtown. There are several new properties that have opened recently (the Medallion at 4th/Main, the Metropolitain at 5th/Hill, the Arcade lofts on Spring) and that's keeping prices under control.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,434 times
Downtown does put you in a nice middle ground. In fact, if you have a decent place downtown, it's likely that, on some occasions, your friends would want to go out in downtown instead of SM (they come to you, instead of you going to them).

Downtown has a lot of nightlife options, as does Pasadena.

If moving downtown though, do yourself a favor and live near Ralphs (the only major supermarket downtown). It's at 9th/Hope in the South Park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles