U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 15,809 times

Advertisements

What about travelling SM to WH? Is the time any better going in the opposite direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
If you are working in Santa Monica, I would avoid Woodland Hills and Valencia. Woodland Hills in rush hour traffic to Santa Monica is pushing 90 minutes each way. Valencia may actually be close to the 2 hour mark. To get an idea of the traffic, google los angeles traffic and the maps displayed will show real time traffic.

Torrance is the opposite direction but traffic wise, is still apparently bad. I am unfamiliar with traffic patterns in the South Bay, but I know that once you get between LAX and Santa Monica/Century City, the 405 is always jammed.

If you can swing living in Santa Monica, definitely do that. If not, check out Culver City. If you absolutely have to, the neighborhood of West Los Angeles which is very safe and covenient (though schools are LAUSD here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM

5,998 posts, read 12,924,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctola2012 View Post
What about travelling SM to WH? Is the time any better going in the opposite direction?
Consider traffic going into and out of the valley during rush hour to be very bad. The thing is they both have economic centers with jobs. So hundreds of thousands of ppl are driving both ways at that time.

I would stick with being as close to work as possible. Rent a place, then get the lay of the land. If not you are going to have plenty of time sitting in bumper to bumper traffic daily wondering why you made the decsions you did vs. spending time with your kids.

Ask yourself this question? Why am I really doing this anyway? And it is really worth more than spending two+ hours with my family per day? Maybe you get a bigger place in suburbia somewhere. So what, is that really that important compared to spending time with you kids? Remember millions of ppl in LA are making that same (sometimes poor) decision and they are all on those same freeways at the same time. Misery loves company, especially when it comes to LA freeways.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-13-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 02:33 PM

60 posts, read 61,971 times
Default Similar Question... South Bay vs. Tarzana area

Hello -

We are looking at something similar. Husbands job in Santa Monica, will rent first hoping around 2500 which I realize from looking is a challenge. 2 kids, ages 3 and 5. I still stay at home, but only another year or so before I will look for work. Someone in the office suggested Tarzana / Encino. My research makes North Redondo Beach/ North/West Torrance look great. We did live in LA for a few years but rented a one bedroom in West LA with no kids, totally different life. Never explored Valley or South Bay.
Any advice is appreciated on commute or difference of quality of life/ things to do with kids.

Thank you!!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 AM

626 posts, read 644,432 times
If you work in SM, you can apply for an interdistrict permit from LAUSD to SMMUSD. There's no guarantee of entry, but in the last several years my understanding is that virtually all elementary school applicants have been successful (although perhaps not necessarily to their first choice of the five elementary schools in the district). Look at the info on smmusd.org.

When do you move? Will your ten year old still be in elementary school at the time you move? There are two middle schools in SM, John Adams and Lincoln. John Adams unexpectedly turned away some permit applicants last year because of space issues, but once your child is accepted into the district, they are there for the duration, i.e. you don't have to reapply for middle and high school (but you do have to file an intention to continue enrolment each year). If you apply now and he/she is accepted into the district while still in elementary, they'll automatically go through to middle school.

This could mean that you could then look in some of the adjacent areas which are less pricey than SM, such as Culver City, Mar Vista and West LA. $2000 might be a stretch, but maybe you could apply the money you would have spent on gas to an increased rent budget. And spend the extra 2-3 hours a day you would gain from not commuting riding along the beach with your kids, going to the park, etc.

I work with someone who lives in Santa Clarita. She gets to work around 6am and leaves by 2.30pm, otherwise it takes her 2 hours each way. On a good day, with no accidents or rain.

El Segundo and Torrance both are good school districts and are a better commute than Woodland Hills or Valencia. Maybe Westchester? Don't know much about rent in the area though.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM

60 posts, read 61,971 times
Default What is nice about Torrance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
No, google maps is not accurate at all in LA during rush hour. In LA its not the distance that gets you but the gridlocked traffic.

That said I would pick Torrance 100x over Valencia and 10x over Woodland Hills. But that is my preference.

Derek
Hello -

I am reading this answer because we are also in the midst of planning a move to LA, and will have a Santa Monica commute. Torrance is high on my list, as I read it is safe and near some pretty beaches. My only experience in LA is 3 years living in West LA, which was super fun and convenient, although not very "neighborhood-ish" very transient, keep to yourself. I'm just curious if there is any type of feeling of community, small town vibe in Torrance. It is so scary to think about moving your family when it's so hard to pound the pavement and LOOK for yourself... nice, friendly, educated, outdoor loving, kid-friendly all kind of what I'd be grateful for.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 PM

927 posts, read 851,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
90 minutes may be towards the high end, but all the places you mentioned are at least an hour away from santa monica during normal commuting hours.
The thing is, if your job is in Santa Monica, then most of the rest of greater L.A. is on the other side of the 405. Just getting past the 405 during weekday rush can be hellish because the lines of cars waiting to enter the freeway backs up onto the surface streets.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM

571 posts, read 1,751,450 times
Yes it takes about 30 minutes on weekdays just to cross over to the other side of the 405. And rush hour is pretty much from 3pm-8pm around here.

The commutes to either South Bay or Sherman Oaks/Encino - either one is going to be around an hour long each way. Street shortcuts can help but not by much. Santa Monica has some of the worst commuting traffic in the country. It's only going to get worse as Google moves into Mar Vista and other tech companies just keep coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or