U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post

Least Favorite: I have no idea. Why would I go anywhere bad?
Because you've never been there, never read about it or heard about it from friends and had no clue what the level of quality is until you tried it? That's the way I discover the places with crappy food. Be adventurous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Three of the most historic restaurants in L.A. have amongst the worst food in L.A.: the Pantry, Clifton's, and El Coyote.The Campos' chain is particularly wretched.
I can't agree with Clifton's. It's a cafeteria, and serves about what one should expect. My last meal there was excellent for that type of food, especially the burrito-sized enchilada. The only surprise was the price. A bit on the high side for a cafeteria.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,982,497 times
Broadway Deli on the 3rd Street Promenade, now closed, was widely considered by most locals to be the worst restaurant in the Westside.

Personally I've always despised Border Grill.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Border Grill is pretty bad. Probably the worst chain mexican food I've had.....fast food mexican can be worse(J&S in Montebello).

I also despise Macaroni Grill. Saltiest food I've ever had and thats saying a LOT.

Pantry is awful. I have no idea why people line up there. I walk a couple blocks to the Farm of Beverly Hills at LA Live for a much healthier and better tasting breakfast. More expensive, but more than worth it.

Places I love.....Theres a small Korean BBQ place on 2nd st in Little Toyko that never disappoints...simply called "Korean BBQ". Nothing over $10, tastes good, and you get the whole 6 different sides with it or whatever.

I also love Fishermans Outlet on 5th/Central. Limited hours, very long lunchtime lines(go before 11:30, or after 1:30), expensive, but some of the very best, freshest grilled fish you can get. Also delicious shrimp cocktails and lobster bisque. The fried plates are actually well priced, but I don't eat fried stuff anymore.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 AM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I agree Clifton's is awful too. Dolores is pretty darn bad though. Pantry and El Coyote aren't good, but I definitely wouldn't consider them among the worst.
I haven't eaten at any of those for years, but it is hard for me to think of Pantry as awful. It was always just the standard meal especially for breakfast and of course is a landmark just like Cliftons. Even as a kid I wasn't a huge fan of Cliftons but lots of my friends had their first jobs working there.
I really don't think it was ever awful and probably isn't now; it is a cafeteria, like most cafeterias, it isn't gourmet or even meant to be 3 star quality.

I think it would be almost impossible to list the best, remember food is so subjective.

Nita

Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Clifton's is a throwback. It's like eating a LAUSD lunch.

My favorite restaurant is probably the Pacific Dining Car. Downtown is the best, but Santa Monica is a close second. It's about as old LA as it gets and never disappoints.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Broadway Deli on the 3rd Street Promenade, now closed, was widely considered by most locals to be the worst restaurant in the Westside.
You don't remember Mort's, I take it? Which is funny because you said you actually lived in the Palisades at one point. In general the Palisades was a wasteland for eating. The lack of competition and the restrictions on liquor sales made it restaurant hell. (As if people who could afford to live there needed yet another reason why not to move there....) Mort's sticks out in my mind as particularly awful.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Of course I know Mort's, I'm not particularly fond of it either, but it doesn't jump out as one of the worst.

Maybe Jerry's Deli is.

And yes, I would never go out to eat in the Palisades.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,287,423 times
LOL about Cliftons being like an LAUSD lunch. It reminded me of eating at a hospital.

What about best restaurants with an ocean view, like in malibu or marina del rey?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Of course I know Mort's, I'm not particularly fond of it either, but it doesn't jump out as one of the worst.

Maybe Jerry's Deli is.

And yes, I would never go out to eat in the Palisades.
Mort's was really, really awful. Perhaps because the Palisades' Jewish population is smaller than Santa Monica's or Brentwood's. But the only good Jewish deli west of the 405 is Fromin's. I read about a Montreal style deli that existed in Brentwood for awhile, but never was there. By the time I heard about it, it was out of business.

The only Jerry's I've ever been to is the one in the Valley. I've never been to the Westwood, West Hollywood, or MDR Jerry's locations. Jerry's is pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles