U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,421,795 times

Advertisements

Oinkster in Eagle Rock has horrid food. My pastrami was a tasteless glop of gray gristle on a stale roll. Should have known to stick with Langer's if I want a REAL pastrami sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,982,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Mort's was really, really awful. Perhaps because the Palisades' Jewish population is smaller than Santa Monica's or Brentwood's. But the only good Jewish deli west of the 405 is Fromin's. I read about a Montreal style deli that existed in Brentwood for awhile, but never was there. By the time I heard about it, it was out of business.

The only Jerry's I've ever been to is the one in the Valley. I've never been to the Westwood, West Hollywood, or MDR Jerry's locations. Jerry's is pretty bad.
Plenty of Jews in the Palisades, but I agree that Mort's is probably the worst deli in the Westside.

Fromins is pretty good, Izzy's is OKAY (though open 24 hours). I do think Fromins has the best traditional Ashkenazi Jewish food of the westside, and maybe the best pastrami this side of Langer's.

Of the Jewish delis, I've always said Junior's is the best, but pretty overpriced (even by deli standards).

Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Plenty of Jews in the Palisades, but I agree that Mort's is probably the worst deli in the Westside.

Fromins is pretty good, Izzy's is OKAY (though open 24 hours). I do think Fromins has the best traditional Ashkenazi Jewish food of the westside, and maybe the best pastrami this side of Langer's.

Of the Jewish delis, I've always said Junior's is the best, but pretty overpriced (even by deli standards).
Junior's is definitely westside

I didn't say the Palisades didn't have a Jewish population ; I said its Jewish population is smaller than the Jewish populations of Santa Monica and Brentwood. As you know, SM and Brentwood both have pretty big Jewish populations. I'm aware there are Jews there, just not as many as the neighboring areas.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 PM

^Do you have actual proof of that? I think we both only have anecdotal evidence. I've met plenty of Jews and non-Jews in all three areas.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,813,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Oinkster in Eagle Rock has horrid food. My pastrami was a tasteless glop of gray gristle on a stale roll. Should have known to stick with Langer's if I want a REAL pastrami sandwich.
Indeed. With all due respect, how can a place called Oinkster hope to rival real Kosher deli fare?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
^Do you have actual proof of that? I think we both only have anecdotal evidence. I've met plenty of Jews and non-Jews in all three areas.
There are sizeable numbers of Jews in all three, but fewer in the Palisades than in SM or Brentwood. The Palisades is the "waspiest" part of the westside, and, within a westside context, is the least liberal and most Republican area of the westside

That said, none of those 3 is Jewish dominated the way that other areas are.

Since the Palisades and Brentwood are not cities I don't think there are any statistics for them. There would be statistics for Santa Monica but not for its neighbors. SM has more Jewish restaurants and more synagogues.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Agreed. I'm a sucker for the halibut and rice, not to mention the funky vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can't agree with Clifton's. It's a cafeteria, and serves about what one should expect. My last meal there was excellent for that type of food, especially the burrito-sized enchilada. The only surprise was the price. A bit on the high side for a cafeteria.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are sizeable numbers of Jews in all three, but fewer in the Palisades than in SM or Brentwood. The Palisades is the "waspiest" part of the westside, and, within a westside context, is the least liberal and most Republican area of the westside

That said, none of those 3 is Jewish dominated the way that other areas are.

Since the Palisades and Brentwood are not cities I don't think there are any statistics for them. There would be statistics for Santa Monica but not for its neighbors. SM has more Jewish restaurants and more synagogues.
There's plenty of WASPs in Santa Monica and Brentwood too. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think there's any conclusive evidence on how Jewish each area is. However, all 3 neighborhoods have a large Jewish population. If anything, I've met more Jews in the palisades than SM.

Palisades Republican? That's a good one! Maybe when you were growing up. Now it's a super liberal stronghold much like SM.

SM has more Jewish restaurants and synagogues but it's also much bigger.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
There's plenty of WASPs in Santa Monica and Brentwood too.
Many of those in Santa Monica are more "Anglo-Saxon" than those in Pasadena for example due to actually being born in the UK.

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think there's any conclusive evidence on how Jewish each area is. However, all 3 neighborhoods have a large Jewish population. If anything, I've met more Jews in the palisades than SM.

Palisades Republican? That's a good one! Maybe when you were growing up. Now it's a super liberal stronghold much like SM.

SM has more Jewish restaurants and synagogues but it's also much bigger.
I can remember when SM and the Palisades were both Republican. When the GOP became southernized and the Religious Right got more influence many affluent areas, especially in California, that had previously been Republican became Democratic. That's a major part of the decline of the California GOP - but that's a topic for another thread.

Note I said "within a westside context" - thus it's like saying the most Republican area in San Francisco. As for Jews: I've met some who live in the Palisades, but many more who live in SM and Brentwood. It's hard to get a figure for places that aren't cities. I've met some Jews who grew up in the Palisades but not as many as its neighbors.

Now, to change the subject:

Best Mexican Restaurant On The Westside - Mi Ranchito, Washington between Grand View and Centinela.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM

940 posts, read 1,778,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Of course Langer's is a zillion times better than any other pastrami out there.

...IT'S FOURTEEN DOLLARS.

Thus I will always appreciate oinkster, the hat, and busy bee. Which, by the way, are totally different (if of course inferior) experiences.

Canter's and Jerry's are the real offenders here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles