U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:15 PM

940 posts, read 1,778,926 times

Advertisements

anybody ever had the torta cubana at el flamin?

Al Pastor, Monterrey Jack Cheese, Milanesa, Egg, Ham, a hot dog and 1/2 an Avocado and Sour Cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 PM

62 posts, read 126,488 times
Favorites: Animal, Hatfields, Lazy Ox, Langers, Iroha Sushi

Least Favorite: not sure I have one. Jerry's maybe. Dodger dogs if that counts.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,982,497 times
The food at Jerry's isnt so bad per se (though it's nothing special), but the extremely high price and terrible service indeed make it one of the worst restaurants in LA. I would compare the quality and taste to Norms, which is half the price.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:17 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
My least favorite is Pink's. I flat refuse to go there, line or no line.

My favorite "dress nicely" restaurant isn't in L.A. proper, it's in Pico Rivera. I'm all about the fifties.

My favorite Mexican food, especially the birria and the various organ meats, is El Parian, 1528 W. Pico.

My favorite coffee shop is Pann's.

My favorite chickin 'n waffles is Roscoe's. I prefer the store on W. Manchester, leaving the store at Sunset & Gower for the tourists.

Favorite place for a hot dog is Skooby's on H'wood Blvd. near Musso & Frank.

Favorite place for a life-threatening gut bomb is Oki Dog.

My favorite BBQ is Bludsoe's in Compton.

Last edited by Fontucky; 07-08-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 AM

559 posts, read 1,159,104 times
Fontucky: I'm kinda surprised at how well versed you are with L.A. restaurants - it's a long drive from Fontana to be eating at Bludso's. What is it about Pink's that turns you off so violently?

I don't get out enough and I'm not critical enough to be picking favorite restaurants, but I just have to comment on the thumbs down that The Original Pantry and Clifton's have been getting. These places are time machines. I'd be disappointed if they clambered onto the molecular gastronomy bandwagon, no matter how tasty it was. I guess Clifton's has a big enough menu to accommodate newer dishes in addition to the classics. Shouldn't every major city have at least a few places serving relatively bland but classic American comfort food?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Because you've never been there, never read about it or heard about it from friends and had no clue what the level of quality is until you tried it? That's the way I discover the places with crappy food. Be adventurous!
That was going to be my answer. We went to a Chinese restaurant in Pasa a couple of years ago. It had been recommended, we thought it was one we used to frequent 30 years ago and were really excited. Well, it wasn't the place we thought, it was on the pricey side for Asian food and though, not the worst we ever had we were really disappointed. There were 8 of us, all of us felt like we had been riped off.

Nita

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,314,280 times
More Than Waffles - Encino. Great place for early Sat or Sun breakfast.
Jinkys - Sherman Oaks. Another GREAT place for breakfast and hanging out.
Jumpin Java - Studio City. Crowded and always great.
Cant remember the name, but the deli at the top of Beverly Glen in the Pets Of Bel Air complex.
Carousel - Glendale. Best middle eastern food in Los Angeles. Great shows as well.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Fontucky: I'm kinda surprised at how well versed you are with L.A. restaurants - it's a long drive from Fontana to be eating at Bludso's. What is it about Pink's that turns you off so violently?
Just because I live in Fontana now doesn't mean I always have. I worked in L.A. for 25 years, not to mention being born there. I've been around.

The chili dogs were the worst I've ever had. 2 bites and they went in the bin.

Edit to add: To put my L.A. restaurant experience in perspective, we used to get the pink boxes of donuts from Randy's when I was a kid, but it wasn't called Randy's back then, it was The Big Donut.

Last edited by Fontucky; 07-08-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,813,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Jinkys - Sherman Oaks. Another GREAT place for breakfast and hanging out.
Jumpin Java - Studio City. Crowded and always great.
Yes.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

I don't get out enough and I'm not critical enough to be picking favorite restaurants, but I just have to comment on the thumbs down that The Original Pantry and Clifton's have been getting. These places are time machines. I'd be disappointed if they clambered onto the molecular gastronomy bandwagon, no matter how tasty it was. I guess Clifton's has a big enough menu to accommodate newer dishes in addition to the classics. Shouldn't every major city have at least a few places serving relatively bland but classic American comfort food?
Nobody's bashed the Pacific Dining Car yet (which I've never been to) nor Musso and Frank's (only drank there, never ate there), and nobody's bashed Langer's, Philippe's, or Taix (all of which I have been to and love) so not all old time places are getting slagged.

I get the picture that pre-WW2 L.A. was not the greatest city to eat in. Vintage restaurant guides and books on food suggest this as well ; for example, late 1940s/1950s books on American food and restaurants mention how Los Angeles was beginning to overcome its bad reputation as a place to eat which it had prior to the war to the point that it could be considered as worthy of mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles