U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,297,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Nope. The judge will simply reassign you to the Civil Court.
Okay, tell the judge you have ADD then start staring at the ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM

21,909 posts, read 23,081,138 times
demand to be the foreman so you will be able to influence the other idiots they assign you to.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 PM

90 posts, read 192,993 times
I find that if you're not trying to completely get out of jury duty, the people at the court are pretty helpful. Technically, you can postpone up to a year from the original date they sent you. I was once able to put it off for two years, a few months at a time. I just kept explaining that I was an hourly employee, and I couldn't afford the loss of income, but that I'd be glad to do my part once it was financially feasible for me to do so.

A note from your doctor might help, too. Ask the court what information they need first.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,297,667 times
Jury selections come from two sources - DMV records and voter registration. If you don't want to be selected, here's one thing you can do.

Get a mail box from a small, private company, not the Post Office. Use that as your address on your license or ID and close it shortly after you receive it.

The courts won't have any way to locate you.

I don't think there's very much you can do for voters registration. I don't think you can use private mail boxes.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

I don't think there's very much you can do for voters registration. I don't think you can use private mail boxes.
Sure there's something you can do - don't register.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,122,955 times
It's all simpler than everybody here makes it out to be, and I know this from personal experience.

Just throw the letter away. I'm sorry to admit that I'm a jury duty deadbeat, but several years ago I got really annoyed with my jury duty summons, mainly because whenever I report for duty they always dismiss me during vor dire, probably because I'm an engineer and they don't want anybody on a jury if they have the ability to reason.

Anyway I got my notice and I knew what it was from the printing on the outside. I filed it away. A year or two later I got another summons and I filed that too away, right next to the other notice. I moved out of LA earlier this year and I still had those unopened notices. I threw them in the trash when I moved. I never heard anything more about it.

So there you have it, the ideal solution. Just ignore the notices. As far as I can tell they just send out more notices to other people instead of following up on somebody who ignores the summons.

Regards,

Deadbeat Greg

Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 AM

38,985 posts, read 20,683,761 times
I'm hearing impaired and it's best if I not serve as I would likely miss a lot of the proceedings ... Fortunately, I can get my doctor to get me off.

Honestly, I cannot afford jury duty as an hourly employee and grateful that I've gotten off twice.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM

497 posts, read 1,333,117 times
I have friends who ignored the mail and it kept coming...then the fine notices started and the threats not to renew driver license etc...

Old 07-15-2011, 05:33 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,026,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
I have friends who ignored the mail and it kept coming...then the fine notices started and the threats not to renew driver license etc...
It is always a cousin, a friend, a friends friend, but never does anyone ever say they got dinged.

I have never received anything other than the summons that seems to always get thrown out. I have never seen any sort of fine or threat. This is 40 years of summons never received. My lawyer told me in the 70's they need a receipt to even try to fine you. Your appearance, phone call is the receipt.

There are people who love to be on jury duty. I have dated nurses who loved it, their employers have set aside sick leave, personal leave and jury duty leave. Many people receive full pay if they go.

I refuse to be the lowest denominator in the court room. The Judge makes some serious income, the attorneys make major money, the wronged person is hoping their case will bring them millions.
"Larry Parker got me 4 million dollars!"

I refuse to enter those doors for $5 a day.

That said here is a link for a small CA county of Tuolumne

Jury duty dodgers get day in court (http://www.uniondemocrat.com/20110712104126/News/Local-News/Jury-duty-dodgers-get-day-in-court - broken link)

Old 07-15-2011, 06:13 PM

497 posts, read 1,333,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
It is always a cousin, a friend, a friends friend, but never does anyone ever say they got dinged.

I have never received anything other than the summons that seems to always get thrown out. I have never seen any sort of fine or threat. This is 40 years of summons never received. My lawyer told me in the 70's they need a receipt to even try to fine you. Your appearance, phone call is the receipt.

There are people who love to be on jury duty. I have dated nurses who loved it, their employers have set aside sick leave, personal leave and jury duty leave. Many people receive full pay if they go.

I refuse to be the lowest denominator in the court room. The Judge makes some serious income, the attorneys make major money, the wronged person is hoping their case will bring them millions.
"Larry Parker got me 4 million dollars!"

I refuse to enter those doors for $5 a day.

That said here is a link for a small CA county of Tuolumne

Jury duty dodgers get day in court (http://www.uniondemocrat.com/20110712104126/News/Local-News/Jury-duty-dodgers-get-day-in-court - broken link)
I dont blame You.

The last summons I received was about 4 years ago. I did the phone in and went to the courthouse, then 1/2 hour later they let us all go.
This was Malibu Courthouse so it was pretty simple for me.

My girlfriend, about 3 months ago, ignored letters etc., then she received a fine notice and letter indicating her DL would not be renewed. I was right there so I know what was happening. She ended up reporting in person to the airport and they made her sit there all day. total waste of time and cost her a lot of money in lost wages & commissions.

The next time I receive one, unless it is in malibu again, I will ignore them and report on my findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles