U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,714,981 times

Advertisements

I guess some of you are unaware that ignoring those summons is a crime. It plainly states that in the letter, but some of you didn't open the letter. I am doing jury duty now and believe me I hate it too but you know what, you got to do things in life that you don't like to do. There's like 300 of us and they only pick 12 out of that number, so your chances of even having to serve on a trial is low. You get $12.50 a day here, even if you're not picked. That means they are paying $3,750 a day to jurors that for the most part, do nothing but show up and end up not getting picked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 AM

6,663 posts, read 27,024,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I guess some of you are unaware that ignoring those summons is a crime. It plainly states that in the letter, but some of you didn't open the letter. I am doing jury duty now and believe me I hate it too but you know what, you got to do things in life that you don't like to do. There's like 300 of us and they only pick 12 out of that number, so your chances of even having to serve on a trial is low. You get $12.50 a day here, even if you're not picked. That means they are paying $3,750 a day to jurors that for the most part, do nothing but show up and end up not getting picked.
So, you affirm my very early post. Jury duty is for people too stupid to avoid jury duty.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:27 AM

38,984 posts, read 20,678,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
It is always a cousin, a friend, a friends friend, but never does anyone ever say they got dinged.

I have never received anything other than the summons that seems to always get thrown out. I have never seen any sort of fine or threat. This is 40 years of summons never received. My lawyer told me in the 70's they need a receipt to even try to fine you. Your appearance, phone call is the receipt.

There are people who love to be on jury duty. I have dated nurses who loved it, their employers have set aside sick leave, personal leave and jury duty leave. Many people receive full pay if they go.

I refuse to be the lowest denominator in the court room. The Judge makes some serious income, the attorneys make major money, the wronged person is hoping their case will bring them millions.
"Larry Parker got me 4 million dollars!"

I refuse to enter those doors for $5 a day.

That said here is a link for a small CA county of Tuolumne

Jury duty dodgers get day in court (http://www.uniondemocrat.com/20110712104126/News/Local-News/Jury-duty-dodgers-get-day-in-court - broken link)
Good way of putting it ... I think it is unfair for those in charge of our court system to even EXPECT folks to just uproot their lives, take off from work (many at no pay) and only get compensated peanuts for their troubles. That just doesn't cut it for me!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
So, you affirm my very early post. Jury duty is for people too stupid to avoid jury duty.
Name calling? There's no way all 300 of us can get out of it smarty. Unlike you, I am not going to make up some excuse. You pretty much have to have a doctor's excuse anyway, unless you're elderly, or if it's a "hardship" such as your employer doesn't pay you while serving jury duty.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 532,842 times
It's too bad that people try and think of ways to get out of jury duty just because they think it is such a pain. You better hope that if you ever need the assistance of a jury that they don't have the same outlook and just try and take the easy way out. When I served on a jury, one of the guys was making so many excuses that the judge told him he wasn't getting out of serving and if he made one more peep he would be arrested and fined.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
It's too bad that people try and think of ways to get out of jury duty just because they think it is such a pain. You better hope that if you ever need the assistance of a jury that they don't have the same outlook and just try and take the easy way out. When I served on a jury, one of the guys was making so many excuses that the judge told him he wasn't getting out of serving and if he made one more peep he would be arrested and fined.
Sorry but most folks don't have the luxury of taking time off from work ... Expenses don't magically get paid on $5 per day and not all employers offer pay or benefits for jury duty

Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 532,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sorry but most folks don't have the luxury of taking time off from work ... Expenses don't magically get paid on $5 per day and not all employers offer pay or benefits for jury duty
I completely understand not getting paid for serving on a jury and the reason why people should save for a rainy day. In reality, most people get excused from serving on a jury... the case I actually got picked for only last 3 days and the other times I was excused the first day and was able to return to work the same day. If one has legitimate excuse to not serve, that is one thing. Our country isn't perfect but we are still better off than those who don't have the freedoms we have here in the U.S.

As I previously posted, I sure hope that people who don't want to serve on a jury don't have the same people sitting on their case should they ever need one.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM

14,527 posts, read 16,120,015 times
Well I hope they don't come after me now since I don't live in California anymore, although I don't really live anywhere now so I still have a California drivers license and CA mailing address. I don't see how this can keep working for me but just hope it'll work long enough to let me decide where my new home will be.

I wouldn't have been so negative about jury duty if they'd ever let me actually sit on a jury rather than cooling my heels in the jury room, bored out of my mind and not earning any income. (I was a consultant and got paid only when I was actually on the job.) I hate it when people waste my time but I really hate it when they also cost me money.

The present jury system is alienating lots of people like me.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I completely understand not getting paid for serving on a jury and the reason why people should save for a rainy day. In reality, most people get excused from serving on a jury... the case I actually got picked for only last 3 days and the other times I was excused the first day and was able to return to work the same day. If one has legitimate excuse to not serve, that is one thing. Our country isn't perfect but we are still better off than those who don't have the freedoms we have here in the U.S.

As I previously posted, I sure hope that people who don't want to serve on a jury don't have the same people sitting on their case should they ever need one.
I agree about saving for a rainy day but some folks are barely making ends meet ... There was a time when I started out in the workforce and could not afford to save. I'm fortunate that I have savings but due to the volatile nature of my industry, I cannot afford to eat away those savings as my hours could be cut at any time.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Well I hope they don't come after me now since I don't live in California anymore, although I don't really live anywhere now so I still have a California drivers license and CA mailing address. I don't see how this can keep working for me but just hope it'll work long enough to let me decide where my new home will be.

I wouldn't have been so negative about jury duty if they'd ever let me actually sit on a jury rather than cooling my heels in the jury room, bored out of my mind and not earning any income. (I was a consultant and got paid only when I was actually on the job.) I hate it when people waste my time but I really hate it when they also cost me money.

The present jury system is alienating lots of people like me.
Ditto ... Anytime I'm away from my job, I am not earning an income. I'm a part-time employee trying to scramble enough hours to support myself and have no health insurance due to lack of affordability. There's no way I can afford to waste my time sitting around doing nothing productive. Fortunately, I can get a legitimate medical reason but others in my shoes aren't as fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles