U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM

133 posts, read 200,408 times

Advertisements

I recently got my MBA with a focus in Healthcare Administration. I currently live in Ohio, but would like to relocate to southern California. How is the Healthcare job market? What advice would you give me on how to job hunt and relocate? I do not want to move without having a job. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Just wanted to repost in case people didn't see the orginal post.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM

219 posts, read 570,272 times
I tried getting some feedback about the Healthcare market and didn't get anything, either. I even reposted on mine like you did, lol. I'm in the same boat, well, sort of. Coming out with a Certified Med Aide license.. hoping to make at least 15 bucks an hour and to not have too much trouble finding a decent job.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Anyone?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM

62 posts, read 126,488 times
I suppose it all depends what you're looking for (hospital admin, insurers, device manufacturers, thinktanks like RAND, etc) and how much experience you have. The healthcare market here is just as strong as it is in the rest of the nation.

If it's hospitals, the main academic players are: UCLA (one of the best in terms of quality and reputation, but likely facing financial woes in the upcoming budget cuts), Cedars Sinai (an absolute mega hospital with 1,000 beds, tons of physician groups and more cash than they know what to do with; a bit of stretch to call it an academic, although they do a fair amount of teaching and research), USC (two hospitals if you include their cancer hospital; LA County is loosely affiliated with them but a completely different org structure and financial position), City Of Hope (a good cancer hospital that's far outside the city and only commutable if you're living in the eastern Valley), and Childrens Hospital of LA (one of the best children's hospitals in the country but financially challenged, like any other children's hospital). Then there are gobs of community hospitals, with the Providence system being one of the bigger ones and Huntington in Pasadena being fairly good.

As to where to start, it's their websites. Keep looking at the job boards until you see a good fit. If you have a fair amount of applicable experience, send some resumes and cover letters to healthcare recruiters like BE Smith. They sometimes have positions not otherwise posted (typically at the director level or higher).

The short answer though is look here like you would anywhere -- Scan the web and put a lot of effort into your resume, cover letters and approach.

If you're financially sound where you are, then looking from a distance before moving here might be a good idea. The flip side is it's slight easier to job hunt (and certainly to network) once you're here. Plus, depending on the level of position, some hospitals might actually prefer to go with a local candidate and save on the relocation hassle...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 AM

6,416 posts, read 10,981,773 times
Get a box at Mail Boxes, etc. if it is still the case, the address they give you is like a regular street address not a PO Box so you can easily pretend to be a local candidate who recently relocated. Blast out carefully tailored resume to as many as humanly possible, give it a week or two at least then depending on the responses, try to schedule them all in the same week and be prepared to pay a visit to LA. You get the idea.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or