Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM

41 posts, read 81,889 times

Advertisements

I have only been to Hollywood BLVD, and that was only for a few nights, so I haven't seen much of Los Angeles. I've heard downtown is nothing like New York City's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
No it's not quiet. In fact it can often be unpleasantly loud.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
I guess you are asking if DTLA L.A is like Lower Manhattan? ...I don't think anything else in the U.S compares to manhattan..

Definitely a lot less people walking around, but some parts can be busy and it depends on the time of day...but nowhere near the busyness of Lower Manhattan.

One thing I think is cool about Downtown L.A is a lot of people don't really know about it much..even people that live in L.A..

Many many more people know about Lower Manhattan...

Not many tourists in DTLA...yet.

Last edited by jm1982; 03-25-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Downtown LA is nothing like Lower Manhattan. But it can get pretty lively down there. The nightlife isn't as good as say Hollywood, but I've had a good time at a few bars there.

It may be touristy, but I love LA Live. Keep coming back. And then there are a few neat daytime attractions downtown.

I say check it out.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
DTLA has a prevalent working class identity, with most of the stores and restaurants catering to low-income folk, and the majority of its population and pedestrians being working class. Foot traffic can occasionally be busy around a couple streets and blocks, but truthfully DTLA is not vibrant outside of that small area.

While there is a great desire for DTLA to become the center of LA's urban heartbeat, it has a long way to go. You certainly won't find the amount of well-to-do people channeling down the city streets that you'll find in Santa Monica, Westwood, Pasadena, etc. Visit DTLA in 10 years and I'll say that it might rival those other urban centers, but not as of today.

And no, DTLA will NEVER stand up to Manhattan. It still trails far behind other urban centers like SF, Chicago, Philly, etc...

Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,168 times
Downtown LA is my favorite part of LA

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Its not quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
DTLA has a prevalent working class identity, with most of the stores and restaurants catering to low-income folk, and the majority of its population and pedestrians being working class. Foot traffic can occasionally be busy around a couple streets and blocks, but truthfully DTLA is not vibrant outside of that small area.
This is entirely untrue. Avg income of a DTLA resident is >$80K.

Quote:
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - While there may be no such thing as an average Downtown resident circa 2011, the collective base of people living in the community have some pretty clear characteristics: They are affluent, though not as rich as they were a few years ago. They tend to have jobs. They frequently drive alone to work. And they want Trader Joe's to open in Downtown Los Angeles.

Although Downtown has continued to grow since the economic downturn began, with new residential complexes, restaurants and entertainment options, the community has not escaped the pain. The figure most indicative of hard times is the falling household median income: The $86,300 for Downtowners today is down from $89,900 in 2008.
Still, Downtowners seemed to fare better than many others. The survey said that the median income for all respondents dropped nearly $7,000, from $92,200 three years ago to a current $85,500. The median income in L.A. County in 2007, the most recent year for which figures are available, according to the study, was $54,828.
Other indicators came in how people spend their money. Three years ago, 95% of Downtown residents ate out for lunch at least once a month, and 96% had dinner out during the same time frame. The new study put those levels at 89% for lunch and 92% for dinner
Big Numbers and Big Money in Downtown Survey - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: News

Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
^ Yeah, DTLA is definitely a magnet for the rich and well-to-do...

And just to make everyone certain of it, that photo is taken within downtown boundaries.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
I understand you dislike pertinent facts.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
^ Yeah, DTLA is definitely a magnet for the rich and well-to-do...

And just to make everyone certain of it, that photo is taken within downtown boundaries.
True but there are areas like the Historic Core, Arts District and South Park which have some of the highest rents in the city. Downtown LA (like the city of LA itself) is a tough place to nail down with a few descriptive words - some of the richest people in the city call it home and some of the poorest in the country call it home.

I really enjoy DTLA, it feels like a very unique place and I think we are lucky to be able to witness a major city's downtown transition at an incredibly rapid pace. Downtown Los Angeles in 2020 is going to be one awesome neighborhood, and certainly one of the best downtowns in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles