U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 AM

35 posts, read 52,603 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20-year-old guy from Pittsburgh (well, 20 minutes north of it) and I plan to move to LA next month. I'm a serious musician and I want to be around other musicians my age, and it looks like Echo Park/Los Feliz would have some studio apartments for rent within the $700-900 range. I plan to work and/or attend LA City College at first, and eventually apply to USC and UCLA, and eventually enter the music industry, not necessarily as a musician. If there is no music industry by then, I'll figure it out at that point. I'm smart, I have parents who could support me if needed, and I'm great at pinching pennies, so I don't want to hear it from jaded LA-ers about the cost of living. Pittsburgh has a great cost of living! ...and no music scene, and the second-oldest population in the country, and strict liquor/weed laws, and terrible weather, and limited job growth, and pollution on par with LA

Should I drive up and down each street looking for "for rent" signs in order to find apartments, or is it better to do online? I've been messing around with a site called PadMapper. Is the idea to drive up and down every single street or what?

Are there specific neighborhoods to avoid in this area, that I wouldn't be able to notice just by driving down the street and going "Hm, those gentlemen are all wearing the same color shirt, and appear to be carrying guns"?

Are there other areas where a 20-year-old musician would find peers, and a music scene, and a nightlife, etc for significantly cheaper? I looked at a few other areas such as Culver City ($300/mo more expensive) and North Hollywood ($100/mo less, or about the same for a slightly newer/larger apartment, in a much less desirable location) but Echo Park looks about the best.

My main factors are:
-Cost of rent
-Demographic; 20-something musicians
-Location; nightlife, proximity to the beach, proximity to a community college
-Walkable/parkable/bikeable
-I'd prefer a newer apartment with carpeted flooring, a balcony, and a hot tub outside, even if the studio is really small, but I figure that's less dependent on location, and it's not a big concern.

And if you have any other tips, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM

938 posts, read 3,736,404 times
Other nabes to consider: Highland Park, DTLA, Arts District, and parts of East Hollywood. Sadly, none of these are close to the beach (the only hip-ish area close to the beach is Venice, but that is out of your price range, and is alot more yuppie/tourist). Although, as a plus, all of the nabes in mention have transit access to LACC, although Silverlake and Echo Park are via bus (704). Finally, watch it with that "jaded LA-er's" comment, though, Mr. Flyover Country

Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM

31,471 posts, read 34,718,140 times
My daughter looked into that area when she moved to LA and told me things really varied from street to street so yes, driving around would be my suggestion. Online is great for getting ideas and Google Earth can actually show you what it looks like though. As far as what you want in an apartment, I have no idea how to find it unless it advertised on Craigslist or something.

Since you want to go to LACC you should just concentrate on nearby areas. Alternatively, if school doesn't work out, you will need to be near wherever you find work. And it would also be good if you are turning 21 soon. Finding the perfect apartment doesn't always happen when you land somewhere new, usually people move around as they get acclimated to a place.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM

35 posts, read 52,603 times
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of moving out there and working full time until I qualify for in-state tuition. Is Long Beach a cool place for someone like myself to live? Apparently the rent there is about as cheap as it is around Silver Lake, perhaps slightly cheaper. How would someone my age make friends in LA? I'd like to be in walking/biking distance of everything, but are people in LA often 15+ minutes driving distance away from their friends? I mean, I'd take a cheaper apartment in a lower-rent (safe) neighborhood, but I would prefer not to have to drive far away to see live music, hang out with friends, hit up cool spots/shops, etc unless that's more convenient than I would think.

I guess I'm afraid of moving to the wrong neighborhood, being far away from most other 20-year-olds so I have nobody to hang out with, being lost amongst foreigners and older people, being far away from music venues and (for when I turn 21) bars and clubs.

Last edited by WillC91; 07-15-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,238,769 times
Get a place with parking - do not depend on street parking. It's a nightmare and you'll hate it. People in LA are often an hour away from their friends - the city is huge and traffic can be unbelievable (you can count on it being bad at rush hour, but it can be bad anytime of the day or night).
Long Beach to LA in 15 minutes?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,391,842 times
If you want to be a musician stick with your original plan of Silver Lake, Echo Park etc. If you want to qualify for in-state tuition make sure you do your homework and have the proper documentation. It's not just as simple as moving here and getting a job. I personally never saw what the point of Padmapper was. There weren't nearly as many apartments listed on there as Craigslist or West Side Rentals. For $700-900 you really ought to consider finding a roommate situation.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM

31,471 posts, read 34,718,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
If you want to be a musician stick with your original plan of Silver Lake, Echo Park etc. If you want to qualify for in-state tuition make sure you do your homework and have the proper documentation. It's not just as simple as moving here and getting a job. I personally never saw what the point of Padmapper was. There weren't nearly as many apartments listed on there as Craigslist or West Side Rentals. For $700-900 you really ought to consider finding a roommate situation.
Just wanted to chime in and say that Padmapper used to pull everything from CL and map it. It really was ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS when this thread was started and right up until CL sued and made them stop.

Hope the OP is alive and kicking somewhere.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,391,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Hope the OP is alive and kicking somewhere.
Didn't realize that, I hate when people bump zombie threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or