U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM

13 posts, read 15,991 times

Advertisements

HOWEVER, since I seem to be causing more confusion than anything, I'll give a brief outline of what our situation is and what we're looking for:

Myself, my fiance, and my step-son would be looking for a 2+ bedroom 1+ bath rental (apartment, house, condo... not terribly picky) in a community accepting of kids and small animals (dog + cats). We would likely have a starting rental budget of $2200-$2800. My step-son is currently enrolled in a Chinese immersion program and would be starting 2nd grade when we would hope to be moving. Mostly we're looking at a school in Venice and a school in Pasadena that offers a similar program. I'll be looking at graduate programs either at UCLA or Caltech.

It's important to us to be able to spend time outside at parks/etc, and to be able to walk or bike to a grocery store (Trader Joe's would be ideal). We like having a community that is reasonably educated but still diverse, and that can be friendly and interactive. Don't like the 1-foot-to-your-neighbor feel of Venice/south Santa Monica, and would like something a little more "homey" than the Stepford-feel of Culver City. Anything within about an hour is probably a reasonable commute time, though shorter is obviously better. We like the atmosphere of fitness and healthy living in our neighborhood in Minneapolis and would like to be able to be near that out west if possible. I personally like surfing but don't need to be right near the beach.

I can go into a lot of details, I just would have preferred not to narrow things down so much before I get a chance to hear what people feel.

nowincal11, I appreciate you trying to go off of my initial request. Hopefully this post will help some more people feel comfortable giving advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,465,529 times
Given your budget and criteria, you have a lot to choose from. Venice and Pasadena are opposite ends of LA, which I'm sure you are aware so I am going to take it that if you go to UCLA Grad School you send your step son to the school in Venice Beach and if you go to Caltech in Pasadena you will send him to the school there. I know you are willing to commute an hour, but I feel like for you step son and fiancee's sake they will want to be closer to either of the schools.

If you choose Caltech, I would look at Old Town Pasadena, Burbank, and Sherman Oaks. Old Town Pasadena has a lot going on, but it doesn't feel congested like SM/Venice. The streets are wide and spacious and most everything you need is walkable.

Burbank is a leafy suburb that has a lot of parks and recreation. It is less walkable, but if you choose your location wisely you can walk to grocery stores and maybe a few restaurants.

Sherman Oaks is about 45 minutes to Pasadena in rush hour. This is the most LA of the three described so far. A lot of mid level entertainment industry players. People are really down to earth. On the first page I described it pretty in depth since it is where I live.

People in the three aforementioned communities tend to be very well educated and for the most part friendly. I think people in the Valley (San Fernando Valley) are more grounded and down to earth than in the basin (the city). But the tradeoff is being farther from the beach though I suspect you would only be going to the beach once a week anyway so it might be worth it to live further away if you will only utilize it sporadically.

If you decide to go to UCLA and send your step son to the school in Venice, it get's a little trickier finding a neighborhood that you described in proximity. The closest places I would suggest are West Los Angeles and Rancho Park. Both are pretty good neighborhoods. West LA is more walkable than Rancho Park and has more going on. Disclaimer: They are both very busy neighborhoods and the traffic on the Westside in general is bad. But, they are pretty solid and there are some available parks and you are much closer to the beach.

I would caution against West Hollywood because it is very crowded and far from Venice, especially in traffic.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the West Hollywood area myself. Compared to MN, LA drivers are actually great on the highway, but I have to say that they are HORRIBLE on side streets... I haven't really figured that one out yet.

I have an aunt/uncle who live in Glendale (actually seems like it should really be in Burbank), and the area is quite nice. Quiet streets and reasonably-sized and spaced houses for the cost. Again, that would likely depend on the schooling. Sherman Oaks has always intrigued me, but it seemed like a little bit of a hike from either campus.

Still a lot of obstacles and hoops to jump through on our way, but my hope is that being informed about the area and setting reasonable expectations will make everything that much easier.

Thanks for your comments!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM

7,141 posts, read 19,530,558 times
i've heard culver city called a few things, but 'stepford' has never been one of them. i think you have culver city confused with thousand oaks or irvine. culver city is actually very 'LA' and a great neighborhood IMHO. it's less crowded that most of LA proper, but also centrally located to the entire westside as well as much of the rest of the city. maybe you mentioned stepford because of the family element? i would actually say that this a good thing since it's obvious that familiies trust the schools more in culver city than in neighboring LAUSD covered neighborhoods. however, culver city isn't full of soccer moms or anything like that. anyways, after reviewing your criteria again, culver city actually seems like a good match (good weather, quaint downtown, relatively close to the beach, active population, multiple TJ's nearby including one is said downtown, more affordable than beach cities, etc.). it's funny that you had ruled out culver city when it's probably the perfect place for your family if you get the UCLA gig.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,060,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram242 View Post
My point in all of this though was not to have anyone tell me where I would be happy, but to learn about what things are offered in different areas of the city in terms of community. I'm sure there are tons of things in different communities that would NOT make me happy, but if I just asked for a recommendation of where I should go, I would never learn about those things! I think when you're looking at an enormous change like this it's a great idea to learn as much of the good and the bad and the indifferent about where you're heading.
I apologize for not living in LA, because what you are asking people for is pretty darned easy to understand. There is nothing difficult to understand about "I live here and I love it or hate it for these reasons...."

In fact, I kinda think that would make a great thread for people in general who are looking into the area. It's a nice departure from the typical types of questions that get asked here. Too bad it tripped so many circuit breakers

Old 07-11-2011, 02:39 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,060,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram242;19960189[B
]HOWEVER, since I seem to be causing more confusion than anything, I'll give a brief outline of what our situation is and what we're looking for:[/b]

Myself, my fiance, and my step-son would be looking for a 2+ bedroom 1+ bath rental (apartment, house, condo... not terribly picky) .........
The original request was a good one, and would make a great thread. Don't cave in. If people can't grasp your original request, you probably don't want to take advice from them anyway. My personal reasons for thinking your original intent is good:

A long, long time ago I was a salesman. I learned real quick that what people "say" they want when they walk in the door often has little resemblance to the car they drive out the lot, or the house they ended up purchasing. Basically, what people say they want is often a poor indicator of what they will end up getting. I have to believe the same is true when it comes to relocation. Everyone says what they want, and many probably end up choosing something different. Why? It's easy. Sometimes a great house opportunity will make you put up with a terrible commute. Sometimes a funky neighborhood with that perfect vibe will make you settle on a much smaller house or one that costs much more. You can go on and on with such scenarios. Your original question would have gotten to the "why" other people chose what they did, independent of what type of place you "say" you want. If you are like 99% of the population, you will make compromises or even give up some of what you say you want to gain something else that might be especially attractive to you. But of course, if people insist on only answering to a question of "what you want", you will never find those other things out.

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 07-11-2011 at 03:57 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
The original request was a good one, and would make a great thread. Don't cave in. If people can't grasp your original request, you probably don't want to take advice from them anyway.

You hit it right on the nose. I was definitely trying to avoid being told "what I want to hear," so to speak. I also thought it would be a good general thread concept. I think sometimes people don't really ever think about what it is that they do and don't value about their community. Leads to a lot of missed opportunities.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i've heard culver city called a few things, but 'stepford' has never been one of them. i think you have culver city confused with thousand oaks or irvine. culver city is actually very 'LA' and a great neighborhood IMHO. it's less crowded that most of LA proper, but also centrally located to the entire westside as well as much of the rest of the city. maybe you mentioned stepford because of the family element? i would actually say that this a good thing since it's obvious that familiies trust the schools more in culver city than in neighboring LAUSD covered neighborhoods. however, culver city isn't full of soccer moms or anything like that. anyways, after reviewing your criteria again, culver city actually seems like a good match (good weather, quaint downtown, relatively close to the beach, active population, multiple TJ's nearby including one is said downtown, more affordable than beach cities, etc.). it's funny that you had ruled out culver city when it's probably the perfect place for your family if you get the UCLA gig.

Definitely looking for something that is family-friendly, but we visited an area of Culver City last year and it seemed a little bizarre. We walked around the neighborhood near one of the elementary schools, and at around 6-7pm on a bright, warm, Friday evening, it took literally 8 blocks of walking before we saw another human being. Everyone's cars were on the street or in the driveway (so it seemed they were around), but it was eerily quiet, with perfectly trimmed lawns and shrubs and identical houses all in a nice row, and no one to be found. It was actually very unsettling. Disappointing experience given that from all the descriptions and locations and numbers I agree with you that it seems like a great fit.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,530,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cram242 View Post
Definitely looking for something that is family-friendly, but we visited an area of Culver City last year and it seemed a little bizarre. We walked around the neighborhood near one of the elementary schools, and at around 6-7pm on a bright, warm, Friday evening, it took literally 8 blocks of walking before we saw another human being. Everyone's cars were on the street or in the driveway (so it seemed they were around), but it was eerily quiet, with perfectly trimmed lawns and shrubs and identical houses all in a nice row, and no one to be found. It was actually very unsettling. Disappointing experience given that from all the descriptions and locations and numbers I agree with you that it seems like a great fit.
this is totally normal in most of LA FWIW.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
this is totally normal in most of LA FWIW.
I was a little worried about that. Is there any particular reason for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or