Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 11,315 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I posted a few months back (in March) that DH was under consideration for a promotion/ re-location to Los Angeles (from St. Louis.) He was offered the job on Friday, with a lower salary than what we were hoping, but we are thinking this might work. (we haven't heard any details about a relocation package yet, either.)

We are having a hard time getting our heads around the hard-to-tally items, food, clothing costs, etc. We've read estimates that COL can be anywhere form 30-50% more than here in STL.

In addition, there is the concern of where to live. DH will be working in downtown LA. I stay home with our two daughters (aged 4 and 2.) We would like a preschool for the 4 year old and since I am not planning on homeschooling, a good school district (I was a high school teacher before I stayed home.)

I've been poking around on some threads, and Lakewood and Irvine (in Orange County) pop up but I don't know if that is the route that we want to go. We are Midwesterners through and through. For example: I drive a minivan and DH drives a station wagon and we have no interest in a Tahoe or Escalade. (Sorry, that's so stereotyping.) We currently live in a 950 sq ft house and will have no problem residing in an apartment or condo (we are planning on renting for at least a year.) My brother is living in the city of Orange, but he hasn't been much help.

So what am I looking for here? Any sort of information you can give. My 4 year old is in love with the idea of the beach so she is over the moon with this prospect. I can say that we would be able to spend about $2K in housing a month or so. What areas should we flat out avoid (because there's nothing to do, crime, etc?)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,755,891 times
You may be able to rent a house in Lakewood for $2k/mo. It will take some work to find, though. The areas you'll want to avoid are west of Lakewood Blvd and east of the 605 freeway(there are some good neighborhoods and you probably can find your rent in this area, but it's neighborhood by neighborhood there.. maybe the area directly adjacent to Palms Park between Del Amo and Centralia and directly to the east).

Another way to look at it for Lakewood is by school district. Avoid the Paramount School District area at all costs(schools are awful even if the neighborhoods might not be). The Long Beach, Bellflower, and ABC districts are all at least respectable within Lakewood borders, but some of the neighborhoods can be rough(the case with ABC, which also has the best schools though)

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 22,845,735 times
In addition to what bhcompy said, here's the website for the City of Lakewood:

Lakewood Website - City of Lakewood, California 562-866-9771

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times
If your husband arrives at work by 7am, it will only be a 30-40 minute commute. If he leaves for work after 630am, expect an hour commute to downtown.

Lakewood is likely your best living situation from what you describe in all of LA. There are other places within reasonable commute of downtown LA that may suit you, but you are looking at apartments/townhomes only in those areas(Culver City, Burbank, Glendale, La Crescenta, etc).

Quaint,3br/2ba,including master bedroom suite with fireplace (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2475651053.html - broken link)

ABC LAKEWOOD 3 BR/ 2 BA HOUSE (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2479293818.html - broken link)

Lakewood House (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2483328806.html - broken link) <------This place looks great, either Bellflower or Long Beach school district I believe.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

Quaint,3br/2ba,including master bedroom suite with fireplace (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2475651053.html - broken link)

ABC LAKEWOOD 3 BR/ 2 BA HOUSE (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2479293818.html - broken link)

Lakewood House (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/2483328806.html - broken link) <------This place looks great, either Bellflower or Long Beach school district I believe.
I know someone who lives about 1/2 mile from that particular house. It's a very family oriented neighborhood. Houses are well kept up. I've stayed with her and have always felt safe. Kids play on the streets and front yards. Close to shopping centers. (Though the local Vons could use a spiffing up.) Lots of places to eat nearby. The person I know is retired so I don't know about the schools. But there is a great library on Del Amo.

Driving a mini-van in that neighborhood is not going to raise any eyebrows. Neither is being from the midwest. That neighborhood is very Middle America.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-11-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles