U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,985,428 times

Advertisements

I used to work at Third and S.Grand in the California Plaza. (The high rise district.) The streets between there and the tunnel with escalator down to the Blue Line subway had cars with windows broken out and alarms blaring every day. It was so commonplace nobody even stopped to notice and the LAPD was nowhere to be seen. I would not take my family into that area. What for?

Last edited by _Charles_; 07-11-2011 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,011,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
A to B might be a little sketchy, specially round Cesar Chavez. From A, I would go south on Alameda, then right on 1st, that goes right through Little Tokyo which is one of my favorite places in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I used to work at Third and Grand in the California Center. (The high rise district.) The streets between there and the tunnel with escalator down to the Blue Line subway had cars with windows broken out and alarms blaring every day. It was so commonplace nobody even stopped to notice and the LAPD was nowhere to be seen. I would not take my family into that area. What for?
You're both about 10-15 years dated on your information.

I started working a field government job in 2000 that covered downtown. There were legitimate fears at that time about crime. But even then I was a chubby white kid and was able to walk around Spring and Main and 5th which was arguably the worst area of downtown.

Nowdays, neither of those areas are unsafe. 3rd and Grand is just fine 24/7.

Alameda/Cesar Chavez is no problem during the day and only suffers from lack of foot traffic after around 9pm. There is a small issue of homeless in the park south of Alameda/Los Angeles and also some issue of people released from twin towers, but in the daytime, its not an issue at all.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,615,187 times
City Hall has an observation deck (mentioned in this Yelp thread: Los Angeles City Hall - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA). There is also an underground mall next door to City Hall (also mentioned in the thread) that is kind of neat.

Also, if you are going close to Angel's Flight, don't forget to check out Grand Central Market across the street. You can walk through it, from Broadway to Hill on your way to Angel's Flight.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,532,036 times
the Bonaventure Hotel has two restaurants on the top floors of the building, one which rotates for a full panoramic view of downtown and the entire city (you should be able to see to the coast on a clear day). I believe the rotating floor doesn't require meal reservations to enter.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 AM

12 posts, read 120,327 times
Thank you !

I've checked for panoramic restaurants and bars, but with a small kid, I won't be possible, but i have found a website talking about the observation deck at the City Hall (A Little Reminder: City Hall Observation Deck :: blogdowntown)

It's open on Weekdays 9am - 5pm

I will have great view from there.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,985,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You're both about 10-15 years dated on your information.

I started working a field government job in 2000 that covered downtown. There were legitimate fears at that time about crime. But even then I was a chubby white kid and was able to walk around Spring and Main and 5th which was arguably the worst area of downtown.

Nowdays, neither of those areas are unsafe. 3rd and Grand is just fine 24/7.

Alameda/Cesar Chavez is no problem during the day and only suffers from lack of foot traffic after around 9pm. There is a small issue of homeless in the park south of Alameda/Los Angeles and also some issue of people released from twin towers, but in the daytime, its not an issue at all.
Nice to hear the area has been cleaned up. Yes I was there in the 90s.
In the 90s it was not safe.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM

206 posts, read 394,607 times
I would take a walk north all the way down Spring Street until at least 7th street to see all of the newly converted lofts, plus there are dozens of new cafe's to check out. You should also continue up Main street up to about 4th street. Although not as impressive as what has developed on Spring, but there are a few good things to see especially around 4th Street.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,680,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Nice to hear the area has been cleaned up. Yes I was there in the 90s.
In the 90s it was not safe.
I have to disagree. The area around 3rd and Grand was safe in the 1990's in my experience. The only dangerous aspect to it then (or even now) is that it is dead at night. So in theory it could be dangerous at 2am b/c there is nobody around. Just like an empty suburban mall parking lot at 2am. Downtown's homeless population stays pretty much east of this area.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM

3,066 posts, read 4,419,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomguiss View Post
Hello,

we are a family with one little child from Belgium and we will come to California next month.

we like historic places so we would like to visit in the afternoon downtown LA places like Union station, olvera street, city hall, angel flight, bunker hill, los angeles theater, bradbury building...

we want to walk only, so is downtown LA safe for tourists like us ?

I don't have a bad idea about LA, but like in every big city, there are some streets that are not recommended to go on foot !

Thanks for the help !
Yes, I would say so. Just be careful as you would in any large European city like Paris, London, and Madrid. Don't wander off into skid row or beyond the freeways 10, 101, 5, and 110. Use your common sense.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,664,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

The most historic places to eat in DTLA are arguably, Philippe's, Cole's, The Original Pantry and Clifton's Cafeteria.
Don't forget Hop Louie and the old Far East chop suey house. Everyone should eat there once, just to say they did.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles