U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
 
Location: United States
199 posts, read 431,929 times
Reputation: 396

Advertisements

Fontucky, darling, you forgot to mention that Raymond Chandler was a patron of Chop Suey, and he set some of his Marlowe scenes there.

This fact alone made me dine there, and I was not disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,078 posts, read 2,986,374 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I have to disagree. The area around 3rd and Grand was safe in the 1990's in my experience. The only dangerous aspect to it then (or even now) is that it is dead at night. So in theory it could be dangerous at 2am b/c there is nobody around. Just like an empty suburban mall parking lot at 2am. Downtown's homeless population stays pretty much east of this area.
Every day I would walk from Cal Plaza to the Blue Line station and pass numerous cars with windows broken out and alarms blaring. As I mentioned, it happened so frequently - nobody would stop to look and the LAPD was nowhere to be seen. That situation never struck me as safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: The Valley
63 posts, read 132,040 times
Reputation: 70
I'm a little late to the party, but you might want to check out the DTLA artwalk that would happen on august 11th. If you have a chance to check it out, I would highly recommend it. It's where most of the local art galleries coordinate a mass open house to showcase local artists. There will be food and music as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,680,485 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Every day I would walk from Cal Plaza to the Blue Line station and pass numerous cars with windows broken out and alarms blaring. As I mentioned, it happened so frequently - nobody would stop to look and the LAPD was nowhere to be seen. That situation never struck me as safe.
Not to beat the issue to death but the California Plaza area was (and is) one of the cleanest, safest parts of downtown. Very, very few homeless people compared to the rest of downtown (both past and present).

What blue line station are you talking about? The ony one near there is at 7th and Flower. Again, not a bad area at all. That whole area is NOT an area where you can park a car over night on the street. So if you left your car for more than a few hours it would get towed away.

The "bad" parts of downtown in the 1990's were areas like 5th and Main (an area that has improved greatly since then by the way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 AM
 
206 posts, read 394,760 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Not to beat the issue to death but the California Plaza area was (and is) one of the cleanest, safest parts of downtown. Very, very few homeless people compared to the rest of downtown (both past and present).

What blue line station are you talking about? The ony one near there is at 7th and Flower. Again, not a bad area at all. That whole area is NOT an area where you can park a car over night on the street. So if you left your car for more than a few hours it would get towed away.

The "bad" parts of downtown in the 1990's were areas like 5th and Main (an area that has improved greatly since then by the way).
Finally someone else noticed this, I was waiting to see if anyone would correct him. He maybe speaking of the Red Line subway station at the bottom of the hill (Pershing Square) at 5th and Hill. From California Plaza you can either take the Angels Flight down, or walk down.

Across the street is the Grand Central Market. I can see this area being a little sketchy at night, but overall I've never felt like I was in any danger. I'm not even white (African American & Mexican American) but I'm very light skinned and to the average person who don't know me they will almost always perceived me as white. Yet I haven't encountered any problems in the many years I have walked around downtown LA.

Even though California Plaza is only one block west of the Red Line subway station at Hill, because of the hill it feels so far removed the that area. Grand Avenue is so sterile it feels as if it's miles away and quite safe. I can't ever recall feeling uneasy along this avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
 
79 posts, read 155,822 times
Reputation: 68
Downtown L.A. is great. Many people much hipper then most of the forum members here have been moving there lately, making much safer and more desirable. I would change a few things about your walk. First off, it's hard to have such a linear walk through downtown, as there is so much to see that you couldn't cover in a straight line. I would obviously start at Union Station, then take the Red Line to Civic Center. The only thing you would be missing is really a freeway. After that, walk around the Civic Center and the Arts Area. This area is clean and safe, though dead at night. Then, make your way down to Little Tokyo for lunch. Little Tokyo is arguably the nicest part of downtown, and has great food. Walk from wherever you end up in Little Tokyo (Lazy Ox is a great option) to Spring Street, where the center of the gentrification is. I recommend starting at 5th and Spring, which I would say is about the center. If you can, head right down to the Old Bank District (where the first condo conversions happened in the late 90s) before veering left towards seventh.Seventh is the center of food in downtown L.A. Really great stuff, and once you get past the Jewelry District safe any time of night. I've been down there around midnight and hipsters were walking all about. It's fine. Have dinner at Bottega Louie for a very downtown L.A. experience, but if you go there, go early. The waits get hours long later in the night. If it is still light out, walk down Figueroa to L.A. Live, where a sort of mini, more modern Times Square has sprung up in recent years. After that, I suppose, do as you wish. These are just be recommendations. And have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,680,485 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Finally someone else noticed this, I was waiting to see if anyone would correct him. He maybe speaking of the Red Line subway station at the bottom of the hill (Pershing Square) at 5th and Hill. From California Plaza you can either take the Angels Flight down, or walk down.

Across the street is the Grand Central Market. I can see this area being a little sketchy at night, but overall I've never felt like I was in any danger. I'm not even white (African American & Mexican American) but I'm very light skinned and to the average person who don't know me they will almost always perceived me as white. Yet I haven't encountered any problems in the many years I have walked around downtown LA.

Even though California Plaza is only one block west of the Red Line subway station at Hill, because of the hill it feels so far removed the that area. Grand Avenue is so sterile it feels as if it's miles away and quite safe. I can't ever recall feeling uneasy along this avenue.
LA Fan: I think you nailed it. That must have been what the other poster was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Location: La La Land
1,597 posts, read 2,084,967 times
Reputation: 2733
We are planning to take the Red Line from Hollywood and Vine tomorrow to Union Station, then back to Civic Center and then Pershing Square followed by Blue line to Pico. If we get out at each stop and walk around for a bit is all that possible in one day? Two New York City adults with no children.
Sort of an exploratory trip don't need to see everything, just get a taste.
Welcome any suggections!!

LOVE THIS CITY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,680,485 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
We are planning to take the Red Line from Hollywood and Vine tomorrow to Union Station, then back to Civic Center and then Pershing Square followed by Blue line to Pico. If we get out at each stop and walk around for a bit is all that possible in one day? Two New York City adults with no children.
Sort of an exploratory trip don't need to see everything, just get a taste.
Welcome any suggections!!

LOVE THIS CITY!!!
Yes...you can easily do that in a day. I see no need to hop back on the subway at Pershing Square. You can very easily walk from the Pershing Square stop to the next stop over which is the 7th Street Metro station (at 7th & Flower). That will also give you a glimpse of dowtown.

The 7th Street corridor from about Olive to Flower has many good new restaurants and has been dubbed downtown's restaurant row (Louie Botega for Italian or Mas Malo for good Mexican food are just two examples).

One somewhat adventurous suggestion (if you have time). You can take the blue line to the 103rd station in Watts. Yes, I said Watts. The "Watts Towers" are one of the most significant pieces of folk art in the United States. I haven't been there in a long time but the last time I was there I remember seeing a few tourists from Germany. Of course, only go during the daytime.

the watts Towers Arts Center - watts Towers, the official site about the Simon (Sam) Rodia'c towers in watts, Los Angeles, California.

Watts Towers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,989 posts, read 20,691,051 times
Reputation: 35963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Don't forget Hop Louie and the old Far East chop suey house. Everyone should eat there once, just to say they did.

Where are these restaurants located? I've never heard of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top