U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 120,288 times

Advertisements

Hello,

we are a family with one little child from Belgium and we will come to California next month.

we like historic places so we would like to visit in the afternoon downtown LA places like Union station, olvera street, city hall, angel flight, bunker hill, los angeles theater, bradbury building...

we want to walk only, so is downtown LA safe for tourists like us ?

I don't have a bad idea about LA, but like in every big city, there are some streets that are not recommended to go on foot !

Thanks for the help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
Downtown L.A. is pretty big, and there are quite a few hills, so walking won't be feasible - especially with a small child. Generally, the regular attractions are safe, especially during the day. Please don't miss the library! It's beautiful, and well worth seeing. It's at 630 W. 5th St., and is open until at least 5:30 (closed on Sundays and holidays).

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
Hello Belgium.

Yes, Downtown LA is safe for tourists (even those with children) especially during the day. All those places you mentioned are safe to walk around.

The only place in downtown you should avoid is Skid Row...an area of concentrated homeless people. It is a shame to our city that such a place exists. The "Skid Row" area does NOT have any of the historic sites you want to visit so you should be fine.

For your reference Skid Row is bound roughly by Los Angeles Street (west), Alameda (east), 2nd Street (north), and 9th Street (south). Again, the historic tourist sites are not in this area so you will be fine.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
If you like historic sites you might want to take a tour with the LA Conservancy. They give many interesting tours of the historic parts of downtown. They are very well done.

Los Angeles Conservancy | Tours

Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,612,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
For your reference Skid Row is bound roughly by Los Angeles Street (west), Alameda (east), 2nd Street (north), and 9th Street (south). Again, the historic tourist sites are not in this area so you will be fine.
I believe Skid Row is actually a lot smaller than this since the area you are using encompasses a lot of the Toy District, Fashion District and the Flower District. All of the wholesale districts are relatively safe and there are only a few areas I would stay out of -- like Wall Street around and 6th Street (which, ironically, is where the police station is located).

I'd second Sandy's suggestion on the Library. It's fantastic!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM

thanks for the help and link, I will look at it :-)

I see on Google Earth, hell yeah it's very big but we will just walk one afternoon.

Skid Row is not on our trip, so It will be fine I think.

Thomas

Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'd second Sandy's suggestion on the Library. It's fantastic!

Thank you, it was on my list of places to see !

Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,044,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomguiss View Post
Hello,

we are a family with one little child from Belgium and we will come to California next month.

we like historic places so we would like to visit in the afternoon downtown LA places like Union station, olvera street, city hall, angel flight, bunker hill, los angeles theater, bradbury building...

we want to walk only, so is downtown LA safe for tourists like us ?

I don't have a bad idea about LA, but like in every big city, there are some streets that are not recommended to go on foot !

Thanks for the help !
You'll be fine. I see little old ladies walking around in some of those places. If they feel it is safe, then you'll feel safe, too.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,159,104 times
tomguiss, you sound like you've done your research. Just in case you've overlooked them, I'll mention Little Tokyo, Chinatown (the original was demolished to build Union Station), the Music Center (including Disney Hall), Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels (cool, modern architecture). There are two branches of the Museum of Contemporary Art in DTLA (Downtown L.A.) L.A. Live is touristy and not historic but it houses the Grammy Museum.

The toy, garment, fabric, flower districts are interesting places to walk around.

The most historic places to eat in DTLA are arguably, Philippe's, Cole's, The Original Pantry and Clifton's Cafeteria.

I think that if you have a modicum of urban sense, you will not have any problems with DTLA during the day (night as well). Biggest problem will be homeless folks asking for money; the chance of physical violence is low. Leave your best jewelry at home, don't flash huge wads of cash and don't leave your Leica unattended.

Many parts of DTLA are gritty, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

You could also ride the Metro Gold Line (light rail) for a quick visual tour of Boyle Heights/East L.A.

Hope you and your family have a nice trip.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM

240 posts, read 1,346,616 times
Downtown Los Angeles is usually safe in the afternoon, especially on weekdays, M-F. You and your family should have no problems if you finish your sightseeing tour before dark. After dark, the atmosphere in many areas of downtown LA changes.

Since you are going to Angel's Flight, you might want to check out the nearby indoor Farmer's Market (across the street) for lunch.

As others have mentioned, you will likely encounter pan handlers asking for your money. Usually, these people are not violent. When you see someone approach you and your family, simply tell the person that you don't have any money to give and most pandhandlers will walk away and find a new target.

Downtown LA has dash buses which are only a quarter per person (or at least they used to be), if you need help getting around in that area. Also, as others have mentioned, you can take the subway going east through Chinatown and Pasadena. If you go northwest on the subway (redline), you can visit Hollywood and Universal City.

Also, I believe the LA zoo in Griffith Park which is not far from downtown might be worth seeing if you have another free afternoon since you have a young child.

Enjoy your trip!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles