Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 11,283 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So as you can tell by my title I am not from California. I live in NJ and I am going to be moving out to California this fall due to school. I am going to Loyola Marymount University. I have done some research and it seems that LMU is in the Playa del Rey, Playa Vista area. Right? There is a very good chance of me being wrong.. and I hope I am corrected. lol. When moving out there, my little brother is going to be coming along. (He's been tagging along since I played with barbies haha) I noticed that the area is really expensive, but having someone coming along will make it a little more bearable.
I have a few questions:

1. Is Playa del Rey/ Marina del Rey a nice area?
2. I found some apartments that seem to be cheaper in Koreatown/ Mid-Wilshire. I would like to think that I just found a great deal, but I feel weary about it being cheaper than other areas. Is that actually a bad area to be around?
3. My last question... if by some miracle I could find a nice, somewhat cheap place in Venice or Santa Monica.. are those nice areas?

Thank you everyone and their input I really appreciate the help! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Loyola Marymount is in Westchester which is adjacent to Playa Vista/Playa del Rey/Marina del Rey. These are all nice, safe areas.

Do not live in Koreatown/Mid-Wilshire. The commute will be long to school, and those areas (especially Koreatown) can be less than safe.

Santa Monica is very nice, Venice is nice though it depends. But really, you should just live by Loyola Marymount. If you're an undergrad, live in the dorms. If you're a grad, live in an apartment in Westchester or Marina del Rey.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Avoid Koreatown/Mid Wilshire. It is not very safe. Plus a lot of the buildings are in less than great shape. And the commute will be ridiculously long, so factor in cost of gas for that and aggravation.

Playa Vista is very nice and mostly very new. If you are into that area, also check out Marina Del Rey.

Santa Monica is very nice and desirable. It is very urban, walkable, and has a lot going on, including a lot of nightlife. This is the one thing that Playa Vista lacks. Walkability and nightlife.

Venice is hit or miss. Even the better areas have their fair share of problems because of the amount of foot traffic and the transient nature of the neighborhood. That being said, there is a lot there to do and see, plus a lot of restaurants, and nightlife.

The commute from SM and Venice to school can still be a little bit of a pain, assuming you have to take the 405 and can't take local, but nowhere near as bad as from Ktown.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks guys! That was very helpful, I really appreciate it. : ) Ok, I'll keep sticking with Playa del Rey and Marina Del Rey. : )

Old 07-10-2011, 06:22 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
There are some nice apartments in Westchester as well. Just stay as far west as you can. I don't know that PDR has that much in the way of apartment rentals. You should also check Culver City and El Segundo. They are no more than a 10-15 minute commute.

What is your rent budget?
How old is your brother?
Will either/both of you be working?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM

My rent budget is max $1100, but I know it would have to be like a studio apt. My brother is 21 and both of us are going to be working. lol
And I'm going to check those areas out! : )

Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM

23 posts, read 38,751 times
I know it's already been mentioned,
but Marina Del Rey is a fairly nice area. So is Santa Monica.
There's more to do in Santa Monica though. It's a happening spot.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Westchester might work with your budget and is much safer than Koreatown or parts of Venice. Some parts of Venice are ok, but they tend to be expensive as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
You don't want to live anywhere but right near LMU. Anywhere else to save a couple hundred dollars isn't worth the commute time nor the gas cost.

Theres older(but safe and just fine) apartments on and just off of Manchester Bl in Westchester. You'll be walking distance from school at LMU even. Your budget is close, but should work.

BEST Studio Guesthouse for LMU student! Modern finishes! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2479262503.html - broken link)

Cozy Vintage Style unit with Lots of Character! Garage Included! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2485374844.html - broken link)

**Westchester SINGLE Upper (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2473204934.html - broken link)

Completely remodeled, walk to LMU (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2482246518.html - broken link)

Nice Apartment in Kentwood (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2479889053.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate everyone's help. You have been more than helpful! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles