U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM

31 posts, read 53,861 times

Advertisements

I want to move to LA & I want to know what are the good areas... I live in Buckhead in Atlanta which is like the "good part" or some call it "The Beverly Hills of Atlanta". I don't want to be in a really expensive area nor do I want to be in the hood! The highest I am willing to pay for rent is $1,500. Could I get something nice for that?? Maybe hardwood floors, or stainless steel appliances? Also if I could be near a beach that would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM

3,346 posts, read 7,040,206 times
Think you might want to look into roommate options for what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM

I don't mind down-grading a little.. I've never had a roommate so dont think that'll work out for me too well. Plus I have a online shoe business so shoes would be all over the place ! I heard the downtown area is ok in some spots but then I've heard to NOT move there.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,471,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Amazin87 View Post
I want to move to LA & I want to know what are the good areas... I live in Buckhead in Atlanta which is like the "good part" or some call it "The Beverly Hills of Atlanta". I don't want to be in a really expensive area nor do I want to be in the hood! The highest I am willing to pay for rent is $1,500. Could I get something nice for that?? Maybe hardwood floors, or stainless steel appliances? Also if I could be near a beach that would be awesome!
There are plenty of areas for you to live in a decent one bedroom. Unless you can pay top dollar for a great area, you have to make some tradeoffs.

$1,500 will get you a nice one bedroom in West Hollywood, Hollywood, Culver City, West LA. It will get you a pretty decent 1 bedroom in Brentwood. You will be able to get a one bedroom in Santa Monica, but not walking distance to the beach.

A lot of the apartments in WeHo and West LA are a bit older. Less than half of apartments come with refrigerators, you have to buy one yourself unless you get lucky (that's for all of LA). You may have to compromise on central ac and hardwood floors.

Culver City is the place for you to go to get a new apartment with all your specifications because it is a bit less desirable (still pretty fun and safe), but farther from the Beach and the "Hollywood scene."

West LA and Brentwood apartments tend to be from the 1970s so they are spacious and some have been renovated, but generally not with hardwood floors and stainless steel appliances.

Beverly Hills is a bit out of your price range for a one bedroom. You can get a studio, but Beverly Hills actually doesn't have much going on in the way of nightlife.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Amazin87 View Post
I don't mind down-grading a little.. I've never had a roommate so dont think that'll work out for me too well. Plus I have a online shoe business so shoes would be all over the place ! I heard the downtown area is ok in some spots but then I've heard to NOT move there.
Downtown LA has places in your price range. Downtown is up and coming. It's nice to live there though because you have EVERYTHING within walking distance. Downtown LA is also a huge neighborhood, so choose wisely (near all the bars, restaurants).

Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 PM

7,142 posts, read 19,560,019 times
Good areas of LA? anywere with a decent commute to the office.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM

4,270 posts, read 9,029,048 times
If you want to live near the beach, you can get a small one bedroom for less than that within 3 block walk of the beach. As low as $1050-1250/mo. But it will be an older apartment that is not upgraded.

There are lots of nice places you can get an upgraded studio or 1bedroom with all the upgrades for under $1500....As others said, Culver City and Downtown. Also Long Beach(where the beaches aren't so great...its a harbor), Pasadena, Burbank, Sherman Oaks/Studio City,etc.

$1500/mo gets you just about everywhere, but some of the really high end neighborhoods you will be in an older non upgraded place.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Isn't Pasadena far from LA?? I have a friend that lives in the West Hollywood area but she pays about $1700/mth which is out of my price range! I don't want to be too far from her though. Is LA an expensive place to live?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM

Pasadena is in LA County. It's a pretty urban suburb NE of downtown LA. It has a pretty decent downtown with a lot of restaurants/bars. However, it is not in the "Hollywood scene" so you won't be in thick of it or see a lot of celebrities.

I've seen plenty of one bedrooms in West Hollywood for $1200 or $1300. Use padmapper.com and rent.com.

She must live in a newer building or in a luxury place that has everything from a doorman to in unit washer/dryer.

Given your criteria as a 23 year old female, I would stick to Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Westwood, Brentwood, West LA, or Studio City (in the Valley, but pretty happening and close to Hollywood).

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Pasadena is in LA County. It's a pretty urban suburb NE of downtown LA. It has a pretty decent downtown with a lot of restaurants/bars. However, it is not in the "Hollywood scene" so you won't be in thick of it or see a lot of celebrities.

I've seen plenty of one bedrooms in West Hollywood for $1200 or $1300. Use padmapper.com and rent.com.

She must live in a newer building or in a luxury place that has everything from a doorman to in unit washer/dryer.

Given your criteria as a 23 year old female, I would stick to Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Westwood, Brentwood, West LA, or Studio City (in the Valley, but pretty happening and close to Hollywood).
When you refer to "The Valley".. What region of LA is that? She lives in a luxury community. I've also heard thats the "gay" area of town. I'm just gonna have to come out and drive around areas to see whats best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or