Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband's job will be moving from the downtown L.A. area to El Segundo in 6 months. While I'm quite familiar with Downtown LA and the Pasadena area, we were only in L.A. for a year and I'm a bit clueless about the Westside.

We have 3 homeschooled children, so obviously we don't mind being in the LAUSD.

Buying is not an option right now, so we are looking for a 3 bedroom rental for under $4000.

It would be a great help if you all could weigh in on why or why not the following neighborhoods are a good choice for a family. My husband does not want to commute more than 30 minutes. He's been spoiled by working and living downtown

We love a walkable downtown, but are very flexible as long as the neighborhood is safe.

1. Santa Monica
2. Marina Del Ray
3. Culver City
4. Torrance
5. El Segundo

Any other neighborhoods I should consider?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Your rental budget will get you in to 3, 4, and 5. Culver City definitely has the walkable downtown and would be at the higher end of your budget. Rent will go up more after the Expo Line gets built farther west. Once it hits Santa Monica, I expect Culver City to be out of your budget.

Torrance gets a rep for being Snorrance, boring, sleepy. I love it. It is definitely family friendly and safe. There is a lot to do and nice beach access without the crazy crowds of Venice or SM. That would be the longest commute, but doable.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Thank you, timtemtym. Do you consider Culver City a safe place to raise a family? Nice downtown?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
I would move to El Segundo. It has a walkable downtown and ver family friendly.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 PM

23 posts, read 29,241 times
Oh fun, I'm in the same boat. Except time is waaaay on your side! For that budget you can probably get something in Redondo or Hermosa Beach (maybe). I've seen at least one really nice house for $3900-ish.

I'm not sure about El Segundo. The problem (and this applies to the areas north of the airport too) is that those houses all seem to be 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1000-1200sqft houses. The ones in Hermosa/Redondo beach and Torrance are bigger and usually have a 2nd bathroom.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post
Oh fun, I'm in the same boat. Except time is waaaay on your side! For that budget you can probably get something in Redondo or Hermosa Beach (maybe). I've seen at least one really nice house for $3900-ish.

I'm not sure about El Segundo. The problem (and this applies to the areas north of the airport too) is that those houses all seem to be 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1000-1200sqft houses. The ones in Hermosa/Redondo beach and Torrance are bigger and usually have a 2nd bathroom.
Once they get that 2nd bath, there is no longer a need desire to move. The 1 Bath home is the typically starter home, people quickly out grow them nowadays.

The area around West High is nice, close to In N Out for your late night grub. Short travel Hermosa, and Village in Redondo, but you'll have some traffic in the morning going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Hi All,

My husband does not want to commute more than 30 minutes. He's been spoiled by working and living downtown

We love a walkable downtown, but are very flexible as long as the neighborhood is safe.

1. Santa Monica
2. Marina Del Ray
3. Culver City
4. Torrance
5. El Segundo
Santa Monica and parts of Torrance would be pushing 30 minutes with traffic.
Torrance covers a large area with many commercial retail areas. Artesia Blvd, Hawthorne, PCH, Sepulveda. Land was cheap, stores and parking lots are large, things are far apart. Calling the many retail and eating locations strip malls locations really don't do them justice. There is an "Old Torrance" not to be really consider a "Downtown Torrance"

The traffic on PCH/1/Lincoln in MDR has me avoiding the area during rush and tourist hours.

You might want to add North Redondo Beach to your list.

If you aren't going to utilize the public schools, you'll be paying for an amenity that you aren't going to take advantage of in Culver City, El Segudo, etc.

If you have pets, that will be a big issue anywhere.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
I'm assuming townhome.

You can get a REALLY nice modern build 3bd/3ba 1800+ sq ft townhome in Torrance in the $2500-3K range. SFR is also possible, but most I've seen are dated and 3/2's or 4/2's are more difficult to come by.

I'm assuming that you can also get that same or similar townhome in El Segundo or culver City for perhaps $500 more/mo.

I do agree with the other poster that you can expand your search to Redondo Beach if you like.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Thank you all for the input.

We are definitely okay with a townhouse, condo, or nice apartment building. And yes, I see the pet restrictions on rentals so I'm guessing that will narrow things down a bit.

I will take a look at North Redondo, JohnG72.

As you said, OoTLink, I have quite a bit of time. We will be living downtown and searching for the right place. Now I have a better idea of what to focus on.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM

33 posts, read 68,432 times
Check out the 360 at South Bay which is on the border of Hawthorne and El Segundo. New huge townhouse/condo complex. It is a family-friendly gated community with gorgeous resort-style pool with cabanas, playground, clubhouse, etc. My sister is looking to rent hers out within the year but it's only 3 bedroom (with 1 bedroom downstairs) so I'm not sure if it will meet your needs. But I bet there are other rentals there.

Three-Sixty at Southbay |

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM

That's really right up my alley, actually! It looks beautiful. I am looking for a 3 bedroom.

What is Hawthorne like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles