Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

Starting to wonder if this is unrealistic.

I want the following:
w/d in unit
pet friendly (willing to pay additional deposit, don't have to worry about size or breed restrictions since my dog is small and not an aggressive breed)
safe, (relatively) clean neighborhood, secured building
walkable area (so, not on skid row, though I guess I covered that in "safe" neighborhood).
modern building with luxury amenities (could live with a clean modern building without extra amenities if it helped w/ cost)
garage parking spot that is assigned and comes with the apartment.

Will be moving any time from next week to the end of the month, so would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions! My price is flexible, but I've looked at properties (online) that I plan to take a look at when I get into La, that are in the $2200-$2800 range for 1 bedrooms, which, IMHO is ridiculous. But, maybe I'm just being unrealistic/maybe my expectations are too high?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
You are looking in the wrong places I think.

The sticking point will be the W/D. Not too many of those(though there are some). My building has three W/D on every other floor so its not an inconvinience. I also do not believe you will find assigned space parking anywhere downtown, but I could be incorrect. My building is one of the few that provides parking, and none of it is assigned.

My advice is to use craigslist as a guide and then contact the building directly.

Some examples(though most don't have W/D):

Downtown L.A Studio Loft!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2493031794.html - broken link) <----Has W/D, but is a studio, albeit larger than many downtown. I don't know if this building allows pets.

Open Floor Plan Loft Availalbe With Private Balcony (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2493021702.html - broken link) <-------Allows pets, parking is $200 extra per month. They have cheaper units.

Studio Apartment - Pegasus - $1475 (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2492982861.html - broken link) <-------Small studio in GREAT location. Does not include parking. Does have W/D. Pets ok.

THIS APARTMENT IS MIND BLOWING (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2492793439.html - broken link) <----I was very impressed by this place. Includes parking, allows pets. One bedroom. The only compromise is the W/D.

EXTRA LARGE BASEMENT LOFT. ROOFTOP POOL. WASHER DRYER IN UNIT. (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2492685896.html - broken link) <-----I dunno about this one. Says basement. But pets ok, W/D and its very large even though its an open space. Parking not included.

Downtown loft available! open concept, w/ washer/dryer in unit! Gym! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2482453817.html - broken link)

Last 1x1 available!!! The Medallion in the "Old Bank District" (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2492392618.html - broken link)

And FYI, Bunker Hill is cheaper as is the very modern, but not so walkable Mosaic next to Union Station. The Bunker Hill places(theres about 5 or 6 of those apt buildings) are older and not so close to the entertainment, nightlife, and shopping. So theres a bit of a discount. You might also try the Metropolitan. Its also dated, but very well located. The issue there is that a LOT of FIDM students live there, so noise may be an issue.

And make sure you contact the building management directly, even if you find a listing from a private owner. This will help ensure you do not get scammed.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM

Smile Thank you

John, thanks so much for your input! I will look into the Mosaic and other similar places. I continue to welcome any other suggestions or input from anyone who has any to give :-)

Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Any opinions on this part of downtown (echo park)?

Beautifully Designed One Bedroom To Fit Your Lifestyle - okay, I can't figure out how to ad a link! Any tips? The URL is: Beautifully Designed One Bedroom To Fit Your Lifestyle (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2493082684.html - broken link)

Haha... sorry..

I haven't been back to downtown La in probably about 3-4 years and heard the area's been changed, a LOT.

Last edited by lalalandresident; 07-14-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalandresident View Post
Any opinions on this part of downtown (echo park)?

Beautifully Designed One Bedroom To Fit Your Lifestyle - okay, I can't figure out how to ad a link! Any tips? The URL is: Beautifully Designed One Bedroom To Fit Your Lifestyle (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2493082684.html - broken link)

Haha... sorry..

I haven't been back to downtown La in probably about 3-4 years and heard the area's been changed, a LOT.
That is not echo park. That is in an area called "Central City West" which is just west of downtown LA / 110 (Harbor) Freeway.

Not a bad area but not very walkable to anything and very dead at night.

The apartment owner (Essex) is a big apartment REIT so I am sure the apartments are professionally managed, etc.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Rent is cheap in downtown la...you will need to scout around when you get here....the stuff online is usually more corporate and pricey...

Are you from Chicago?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Rent is cheap in downtown la...you will need to scout around when you get here....the stuff online is usually more corporate and pricey...

Are you from Chicago?

Yeah, at the Alexandria, Rosslyn, or Bristol

Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Yeah, at the Alexandria, Rosslyn, or Bristol
Those are too high end. Many diplomates and consulates stay at those fine establishments.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 PM

No, greggd1, I'm coming from Virginia. I used to live in la, but always on the west side, and used to live in Culver City, where apartments were more spacious and well-maintained apartments were priced reasonably.

I keep finding reviews about bugs/rats, or bad street noise, so I am scared to commit to a lot of the more reasonably priced apartments. People keep telling me that there are better prices if you look in person or talk to real estate agents, but I've talked to some real estate agents who laugh when I tell them what I'm looking for and tell me that I'm expecting too much for what I want to spend... starting to wonder if it's better to plan on spending $2k+ a month for the first 6-12 months until I've got a better feel for the downtown area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles