Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,166,520 times

Advertisements

Urban liviing: Downtown Los Angeles horrors - latimes.com

"I've lived in big cities before: Boston, New York, Toronto. I've been mugged, and I've seen things on subway platforms at night that I'm still trying to forget. But downtown Los Angeles exists in its own separate category. It's the low-grade horror movie of American cities."

How can Big Ol' #2 in the US have a downtown so bleek or scary or boring as some put it? Milwaukee used to have a downtown where after 5 you did not want to be but now that has all changed. So if little Ol Milwaukee can fix it how can't LA fix their downtown? I have heard these stories about LA and Houston and Miami but I am asking the locals how nice or boring or bleek is downtown LA? What can be done to fix it? In Milwaukee the government didn't bring back downtown to life with a gov program but it took a bunch of investors to buy up old buildings ans install high end restaurants and nightclubs and shopping. So why hasn't this happened in LA?

Or is the person writing this just a goof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Well here is the other side of downtown LA

Urban living: Living in downtown Los Angeles - latimes.com

"My community is filled with marvelous artists, musicians, lawyers, bankers, photographers, filmmakers, architects, nurses, doctors, clothing designers, educators, engineers and skateboarders. And it is also home to their bulldogs, poodles, greyhounds, labs and schnauzers."

Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,111,483 times
I've never lived in L.A. but I hated everything about this story. Each time I come to L.A., I have a good time and have had a good time downtown. Does it lack 24/7 excitement? Yes. Is it as bad as the sensationalist journalist make you believe? Not in my experience.

He appears pretty closed-minded and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he simply moved downtown to get his name in print.

All of his anecdotes and paraphrased interviews appear entirely conjured and phony. Yeah, I'm sure the Asian shop keeper who speaks little English and whom you probably never talked to told you, "Why couldn't he have jumped in the alley like everyone else?" Even if that did happen, I happen to agree! Don't selfishly inconvenience others. Check out of this world with class LOL

Seriously, though, not a fan of his work... glad he's back in the suburbs - that's probably where someone like him belongs.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,662,103 times
Downtown LA does not resemble other large downtowns. When business hours are over there are few people on the streets. Most high rises are business only, there are apartments on the out skirts.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Urban liviing: Downtown Los Angeles horrors - latimes.com

"I've lived in big cities before: Boston, New York, Toronto. I've been mugged, and I've seen things on subway platforms at night that I'm still trying to forget. But downtown Los Angeles exists in its own separate category. It's the low-grade horror movie of American cities."

How can Big Ol' #2 in the US have a downtown so bleek or scary or boring as some put it? Milwaukee used to have a downtown where after 5 you did not want to be but now that has all changed. So if little Ol Milwaukee can fix it how can't LA fix their downtown? I have heard these stories about LA and Houston and Miami but I am asking the locals how nice or boring or bleek is downtown LA? What can be done to fix it? In Milwaukee the government didn't bring back downtown to life with a gov program but it took a bunch of investors to buy up old buildings ans install high end restaurants and nightclubs and shopping. So why hasn't this happened in LA?

Or is the person writing this just a goof?
I worked in Downtown LA from 2001-2007 and it gets very deserted at night time and the homeless populations starts roaming. Plus, Downtown LA usually has a strong urine smell on many streets (not just skid row) so I always dub it the mega public toilet. Hopefully, things have changed in the last 5 years but every time I venture downtown, it still appears the same. I cannot say about the new LA Live area around the Staples Center as I've never been over there but overall, I would not wish to hang out Downtown after 6pm at night.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,023,828 times
The first hint should probably be the 4-year-old file photo. Someone who just spent a year living in the place he's writing about can do better than that.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The first hint should probably be the 4-year-old file photo. Someone who just spent a year living in the place he's writing about can do better than that.
It could be that the photo fits his agenda but could also show pure laziness which is rampant in today's young "reporters" or "journalists". You see this kind of laziness in every paper you read, it's easier to keep a file photo and use when you need to rather than walking outside and snapping a picture on your Iphone, I guess.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:40 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,198,655 times
That column really struck me because he talked of two murders downtown in the space of a "week or so."

Downtown has had very few murders in the last several years. I could only think that he was talking about the murder of the woman in the Little Tokyo hotel and the death of the girl who was basically taken from Southwestern Law School (near Wilshire and Vermont) and killed on Alameda.

I'm downtown quite often and I don't think it's as bad as he has tried to portray it. Murders don't happen all the time. They are rare. Maybe there were two in one week, but you could go another 50 weeks without another murder.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM

105 posts, read 306,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I worked in Downtown LA from 2001-2007 and it gets very deserted at night time and the homeless populations starts roaming. Plus, Downtown LA usually has a strong urine smell on many streets (not just skid row) so I always dub it the mega public toilet. Hopefully, things have changed in the last 5 years but every time I venture downtown, it still appears the same. I cannot say about the new LA Live area around the Staples Center as I've never been over there but overall, I would not wish to hang out Downtown after 6pm at night.
LA Live is nice, but most other parts of downtown are still a public toilet.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,982,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
LA Live is nice, but most other parts of downtown are still a public toilet.
Downtown LA is not a public toilet (except for Skid Row area).

To each their own, LA Live, to me, is the equivalent of a suburban shopping mall plopped down in the middle of the city. A very sterile, and boring place.

There are plenty of vibrant and interesting and safe parts of downtown like the Historic Core and Little Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles