Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM

9 posts, read 13,075 times

Advertisements

Hi,
What hotels in downtown LA you would suggest me to stay ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
The Biltmore is gorgeous.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Thank you ! hmm but ...ouchh the price too is "gorgeous" lol
Actually I'd like to find something cheaper... but not in the middle of nowhere!
I found this one, but I'm not sure about the situation, maybe someone here can tell me more ? could be a good choice or... ?
Thank you!

Welcome @ Metro Plaza Hotel, Los Angeles (theMetroPlazaHotel.com)

Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,709 times
The area is ok in the daytime to early evening but gets sketchy after dark. The hotel has mixed (very!) reviews on Yelp but maybe ok for the cost. I was going to suggest the Mayfair Hotel on 7th but it has pretty bad reviews (of course my stay there was 17 years ago!) so not certain that's a great choice other than for price. The Milner Hotel on Olive (I believe) is also downtown and is basically a place to crash. They are both close to the Staples Center, LA Live and all that if it matters.
Is there a particular locale you want to visit or see?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,088 times
Amazingly my 23-year old niece and her boyfriend stayed at the Cecil for New Year's Eve. They were out in HOllywood drinking (they live in OC) and wanted to crash in town. They couldn't grab a reservation anywhere else! I just about fell out of my chair when she told me- hell, they could've stayed at our place.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the hotel or the area but, in a pinch I guess it worked for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
The area is ok in the daytime to early evening but gets sketchy after dark. The hotel has mixed (very!) reviews on Yelp but maybe ok for the cost. I was going to suggest the Mayfair Hotel on 7th but it has pretty bad reviews (of course my stay there was 17 years ago!) so not certain that's a great choice other than for price. The Milner Hotel on Olive (I believe) is also downtown and is basically a place to crash. They are both close to the Staples Center, LA Live and all that if it matters.
Is there a particular locale you want to visit or see?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,859 times
What is your price range?

Here are a few others (both in "good" locations) but you might have to pay for it.

LuxeCityCenter (used to a reasonably priced Holiday Inn but they have upgraded the rooms and rebranded so might be beyond your price point).
Luxe City Center Hotel: A Chic Downtown Los Angeles Hotel in the Center of it All

The Historic Mayfair Hotel
The Historic Mayfair Hotel in Los Angeles, California, USA

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM

One other hotel to look at; The Hotel Figueroa which is within a block or two of LA Live, the Staples Center etc.:
Figueroa Hotel

Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Thank you , hard to find a "safe" place.
I think the safer places are too expensive ( of course ), my price range is between 50 and 80 for 1 night. As I've planned to stay 10 days I 'd like to keep money for the rest and not for the hotel, even though I don't want to be scared even night on the way back to the hotel!! :-/

I'm not afraid of walking, so at the best, I'd like to find a place "between everything"

To be honest I was not about downtown LA... I was thinkin at maybe stay in a beach towns, and from there, take a shuttle ( if it's possible to go downtown )
What do you think ?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM

oh and I forgot to tell that I don't want to be too far from the " shuttle" you know the bus station that can bring me to the beach town and eventually to San Diego !

Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Your budget is getting you into "Hostel" territory. I doubt you will find anything much decent anywhere for $50.00 to $80.00 a night. As far as getting to San Diego, Metrolink (train) would be the best way. You can easily walk to Union Station from the Metro Plaza Hotel and catch the train to SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles