Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 29,792 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done a commute from Culver City to South Pasadena during rush hour? I'm considering moving to Culver City because I'll be a grad school student at UCLA, but my husband will be working in South Pasadena. If anyone knows how long this commute might take him, please let me know!

We're also considering Sherman Oaks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Depends what time he has to be at work. The commute on the 10 to downtown is horrible. It's about an hour from Culver City to Downtown during rush hour. Though I have taken Venice Blvd. all the way to downtown during rush hour and it took me 30 minutes tops. Once you get out of downtown in the morning, the commute on the 110 to South Pasadena is a breeze.

Afternoon it's moderate traffic to Downtown from South Pasadena. Downtown to Culver City is a nightmare, but again, Venice Blvd. isn't bad.

Culver City will save you some time to Westwood (15 min without traffic), but add to hubby's commute.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM

105 posts, read 306,213 times
It would be bad; very bad.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Depends what time he has to be at work. The commute on the 10 to downtown is horrible. It's about an hour from Culver City to Downtown during rush hour. Though I have taken Venice Blvd. all the way to downtown during rush hour and it took me 30 minutes tops. Once you get out of downtown in the morning, the commute on the 110 to South Pasadena is a breeze.

Afternoon it's moderate traffic to Downtown from South Pasadena. Downtown to Culver City is a nightmare, but again, Venice Blvd. isn't bad.

Culver City will save you some time to Westwood (15 min without traffic), but add to hubby's commute.
He has to be to work around 7, and he'll be leaving by 4. So if he avoids highways and takes Venice Blvd, is he looking at 45 - 1 hr each way, or is it a lot more during those times?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
It would be bad; very bad.
Have you done it? Tried back roads? How bad?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellepLOSA View Post
He has to be to work around 7, and he'll be leaving by 4. So if he avoids highways and takes Venice Blvd, is he looking at 45 - 1 hr each way, or is it a lot more during those times?
If he leaves 6, he will likely get there by 7. Afternoon will be a mess. If he goes the back way, it'll shave time off. Though getting thru downtown is always a problem, particularly during winter with a Lakers game.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM

362 posts, read 817,595 times
Afternoon will be a nightmare.

There is no real "back way" to navigate that trip home unfortunately... I mean, maybe Venice-Alameda-6th-Mission... but that will get real old, real quick me thinks. And just getting out of the west side during the afternoon can be a task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles