Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times

Advertisements

I have better things to do than to cite drivers for vehicle equipment violations, unless it is a safety issue. However, if I do pull a vehicle over for a vehicle code violation (speeding, etc.) I will also cite any and all equipment violations that are blantantly obvious. Police officers are citing more and more vehicles for tinted windows, since it blocks the officer's view of cell phone usage and carpool capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Have you ever cited somebody for not having a front license plate?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
Yes, I have, but not as a stand alone violation. Same with tinted windows, items hanging from the rearview mirror, etc. If I see a serious vehiclular safety issue, such as bald tires, unrestrained children that should be in a car seat, malfunctioning headlights/taillights, etc., I'll at least detain the driver to see what the circumstances are before I even think of issuing a citation. My primary function is public safety, not generating revenue for the city of Los Angeles.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 AM

237 posts, read 668,887 times
It depends how bored the cops are, or perhaps, how busy they are, but if they have the time, they will cite you. I know quite a number of people who have gotten LAPD and LASD citations, and those folks are in SHOCK because the place that tinted them did it, so it must be legal?

However, it is correct as said earlier, you WILL have an excellent chance of getting cited by the smaller PD's around here as many of them don't have their hands nearly as full and those small cities view such windows and cars as the wrong element in their little town and want you to know it.

Even in somewhat sketchy Norwalk, I knew a fellow who refused to go to Norwalk because of "too many police, there," (meaning he is pulled over far too often) whose care resembled yours. Norwalk is patrolled by the LASD and Norwalk does have some problems and the LASD was obviously trying to make him feel unwelcome because those kinds of cars are driven by the wrong element and send the wrong message to law enforcement. You will feel harassed here if you do much driving beyond your area. I know many young folks who relate to me all the stories of many cities PD's stopping them just because their cares are tricked-out even just moderately so. While you are a fine person, your car is driven by exactly the problem makers in southern California, and that is law enforcements view here, as well. Get ready to stick out like a really sore thumb to all the cops. My brother lived that nightmare and knows it well. And don't drive that thing on the Sunset Strip or parts of Hollywood on Fri & Sat nights because you will be toast. Yours are the kind of car the LASD & LAPD "tag."

But don't worry about. See how it goes. You can always get another car.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Lets say your driving along and you have tinted windows....A cop is behind you and now on your side...he has no PC to pull you over, but you do have tinted windows...He now has PC & pulls you over to check you out and notices what he thinks is the faint smell of alcohol....wait but you only had one drink!

You are now outside of the car doing the dance and they ask you to blow.."hey if you havent been drinking, you can go".....Oh No!!!, you blew .08....DUI..... You are screwed. Oh no!!! you blew .04....Wet Wreckless... you were kind of swerving and even though you were under .08, you can still be cited.

Use the same analogy for Pot and all he has to do is smell it and your done. DUI no matter how much you were smokikng.

This is why I do not tint my windows.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,567 times
Or you could just not drink and drive. If you get pulled over and are caught with pot or a DUI, you deserve to be caught even if the original reason was your windows.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuchimie View Post
Or you could just not drink and drive. If you get pulled over and are caught with pot or a DUI, you deserve to be caught even if the original reason was your windows.

That is correct straight shooter.

However, Coulda, shoulda, but didn't fits 99% of the people who drive to a restaurant and have 1 glass of wine. That's why restaurants and bars have parking lots. This isnt Boston....You'll understand when you get here.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
That is correct straight shooter.

However, Coulda, shoulda, but didn't fits 99% of the people who drive to a restaurant and have 1 glass of wine. That's why restaurants and bars have parking lots. This isnt Boston....You'll understand when you get here.
1 glass of wine does not equal intoxicated, so not sure what you are driving at here?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
1 glass of wine does not equal intoxicated, so not sure what you are driving at here?

Not trying to be smart Dynamo...The law is all about impairment now and guess who is in the position to determine impairment. The DMV has also adjusted their handbook to indicate anything over 0.0 is considered impaired. Before, it was .08 and above.

If one knows the law, they can at least make an effort to avoid the perils of getting pulled in. One way to avoid that is not to call attention to your self by driving a car with a known violation which gives any officer PC to make a traffic stop. Not saying you can't have 1 drink and drive, but you know its a numbers game and who wants to play that. We are living in a deficit state.

for the record, I do make it a point to cab. But I also don't really like drinks with dinner so it's easier for me.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
I used to get pulled over a lot in Torrance and Redondo Beach, and had to "fix" side window tint a few times. One cop said you can't have anything on your window: "Even if your tint was perfectly clear, you would have to take it off." Reading the language in the law, he was right. Kind of a dick, but right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles