Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM

28 posts, read 79,112 times

Advertisements

So I really want to go to USC in my junior year of college. I'm a senior in high school in Virginia right now and plan on going to a community college after high school. Now I know that SMC (Santa Monica College) has the highest transfer rate to USC. My question is is it worth it to move out to Los Angeles and attend SMC or would I be fine staying at a community college around here and then transferring? Does it matter where I went to CC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,236,180 times
I don't think SMC is quite as good as it was 15 or so years ago.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM

I don't know about the education quality, but I do know that they have the highest transfer rate out of all the schools. That's why I'm asking would it be worth it to go ahead and move out there to better my chances of being able to transfer.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,738 times
Probably and you have a better chance at in state tuition.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,638,507 times
You would have to pay out of state tuition at SMCC and I'm not sure in/out of state tuition even applies at a private school like USC.

Also, you need to check with USC to find out what transfers.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Yeah, USC is a private school, tuition is the same for everyone. As for SMC, paying out of state there is no big deal, it's only $6,000. It's finding a place to live that would be the hard part...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,980,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Probably and you have a better chance at in state tuition.

USC is a PRIVATE school. So the in state tuition factor is NOT a consideration.

For the O.P. , you ask a really good question. I think you should contact USC directly to inquire about tranfers from community colleges from out of state vs. local community colleges in SoCal.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,037,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
So I really want to go to USC in my junior year of college. I'm a senior in high school in Virginia right now and plan on going to a community college after high school. Now I know that SMC (Santa Monica College) has the highest transfer rate to USC. My question is is it worth it to move out to Los Angeles and attend SMC or would I be fine staying at a community college around here and then transferring? Does it matter where I went to CC?
Whatever community college you decide to attend, you want to get advising to assist you in selecting your courses and to ensure that they articulate with USC courses for GE and major prep. For a competitive school such as USC, you will want to get as close to a 4.0 as you can as the competition is steep. Also bare in mind that USC, although a nice campus, is located in a very rough section of the City of Los Angeles.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
... you have a better chance at in state tuition.
You're referring to qualifying for in-state tuition for SMCC, right? That will take a year. You don't need to attend school in CA but you have to prove residency here. (Out of state tuition for a community college does not seem worth the cost...also be aware that with the state budget cuts, community college courses have been cut drastically.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles