Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,339 times

Advertisements

Good day,

I'm starting a position at UCLA Santa Monica Hospital in the Fall. I'd like to live within walking distance of work if possible (15th at Wilshire).

I do not know anything about the area and it is unlikely that I'll have an opportunity to visit prior to leasing a place. Please let me know what areas you would recommend. I'm looking for a 1BR or studio someplace that is more residential and quiet. Money is not an issue as my job pays well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
even the bad areas of santa moniac aren't that bad. you can live anywhere in the city limits and be just fine. as for recommendations, it sounds like you already made up your mind. search a 5 block radius or so of the hospital and look for rentals, i'm sure you'll find something.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Generally in Santa Monica, the further north you go the more desirable it is. Maybe check around apartments in between Montana Ave and Wilshire Blvd on streets like Idaho, Washington, and California. Fits your needs perfectly and very close to work.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
15 and Wilshire is actually a nice area. Most of Santa Monica is nice as well. You wont have a problem at all finding a nice place within walking distance from your work

Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Generally in Santa Monica, the further north you go the more desirable it is.
30 years ago.
Now, it's more north AND/OR more west.
3rd and Ashland for example is more desirable than Wilshire and Yale.
The northwest is the most expensive. However the southwest is more expensive than the northeast.
Many Santa Monicans don't like the northerners.

Quote:
Maybe check around apartments in between Montana Ave and Wilshire Blvd on streets like Idaho, Washington, and California. Fits your needs perfectly and very close to work.
That is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in all of Southern California, you realize that?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
That's why I said generally not always.

The northerners are wealthier and more traditional than the southerners (LOL) and many northerners don't like the southerners.

I realize that, but OP said money is not an issue.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:09 PM

181 posts, read 291,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Smith View Post
Good day,

I'm starting a position at UCLA Santa Monica Hospital in the Fall. I'd like to live within walking distance of work if possible (15th at Wilshire).

I do not know anything about the area and it is unlikely that I'll have an opportunity to visit prior to leasing a place. Please let me know what areas you would recommend. I'm looking for a 1BR or studio someplace that is more residential and quiet. Money is not an issue as my job pays well.

Thank you!

No question Santa Monica is a desirable place to live for many.

Myself, I couldn't imagine living there, because although it has some of the most expensive real estate around, the place is INUNDATED with homeless people. I just don't get how or why people with the means to live anywhere in Southern California, pick a homeless/street person mecca.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
No question Santa Monica is a desirable place to live for many.

Myself, I couldn't imagine living there, because although it has some of the most expensive real estate around, the place is INUNDATED with homeless people. I just don't get how or why people with the means to live anywhere in Southern California, pick a homeless/street person mecca.
Welcome to L.A. and specifically to the westside.

The entire westside has homeless problems with the exceptions of Beverly Hills and Culver City - both of which have very aggressive police departments (to put it mildly). According to rumor, BHPD would drop off homeless people on Hollywood Boulevard, while the CCPD would drop off homeless people in Ballona Creek.

SMPD for awhile had driven out the homeless which made homeless problems and crime in Venice much worse. I was not aware they're back in SM.

In a few areas the homeless population is kept down by local homeless in certain places having a gang-like mentality towards outside homeless, and attacking homeless who enter their "turf" to keep them out.

L.A. as a whole has worse homeless problems than any other city in the US, even San Francisco despite what you may read saying otherwise.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
That's why I said generally not always.

The northerners are wealthier and more traditional than the southerners (LOL) and many northerners don't like the southerners.

I realize that, but OP said money is not an issue.
City government is exclusively controlled by northerners and the bleeding heartism, nannyism,antismoking jihad, etc. is pushed by northerners.

There's more of a soccer mom mentality up north.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
Not really. There are not any homeless around the areas he is looking at.

Most homeless are downtown and along ocean ave. That is where they collect money from: Tourists, people who have had a few drinks and feeling sympathetic, Church Groups from "safe Simi Valley" and people who live east of SM.

The area is very limited. The balance of SM is homeless free. Try and find a homeless person on Montana avenue, Wilshire Blvd from 10th street east....you will be hard pressed to find more than 1 or 2. (dont count the husband, wife, & kid teams picking through trash for recycled bottles they are not homeless)

Catch the #4 bus out of SM at like 1 or 2am...you will see several of those supposed homeless people catching the bus "home"...pockets full of change and small bills with a big smile on their faces...suckers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles