U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM

176 posts, read 167,598 times

Advertisements

I got a red-light camera ticket back in April and has been postponed to Aug. The camera was located in Inglewood around the Hollywood park area. With the L.A. camera program being removed now, do I still need to pay the ticket? is the removal program only applies to city of L.A.?

thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,509,778 times
Only applies to the city of Los Angeles.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,250,017 times
If I got a camera ticket I would contest it. One of the reasons the cities are ending the program is the courts won't enforce it .... especially now. Cops have to show up to court when you contest a ticket ... a camera can't ... that's a legal problem.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 PM

725 posts, read 2,760,632 times
My mom (driving my car) got a Traffic Light Violation Notice recently.

The "violation" says "failure to stop at a red light" though she is turning right (on red), and there is no sign that says "no turn on red" at this intersection.

Anyway - even though I'm clearly not the driver the notice was sent to me (registered owner) - on the back it asks you fill out the form with the driver's information and send it back - but it does not clarify what this action does. Does it change the violation to my mom's name? Does it admit to guilt?

With the new hoopla about red-light tickets in L.A., I'm just wondering do I even need to do anything about this (especially since I live in Chicago now).

I've read articles that ignoring it doesn't do anything to your driving record, insurance, or credit. The worst that could happen is that a collection agency will call. Do I still need to clarify who the driver is? Should I just shred the notice?

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,635,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
If I got a camera ticket I would contest it. One of the reasons the cities are ending the program is the courts won't enforce it .... especially now. Cops have to show up to court when you contest a ticket ... a camera can't ... that's a legal problem.
I have a friend who got a red light ticket and DID contest it. She brought all kinds of evidence, facts, figures, etc...

She waited in a long LONG line for hours with other people contesting their tickets. People brought video, powerpoint presentations, witnesses, you name it. Not ONE of them had their ticket dismissed.

When it was her turn, she didn't even bother arguing. She just said she would pay the ticket. "Good girl" the judge said smugly.

Then she forgot, and she was hit with a $400 late fee & had to pay $800 or $900 in total.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,250,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I have a friend who got a red light ticket and DID contest it. She brought all kinds of evidence, facts, figures, etc...

She waited in a long LONG line for hours with other people contesting their tickets. People brought video, powerpoint presentations, witnesses, you name it. Not ONE of them had their ticket dismissed.

When it was her turn, she didn't even bother arguing. She just said she would pay the ticket. "Good girl" the judge said smugly.

Then she forgot, and she was hit with a $400 late fee & had to pay $800 or $900 in total.
When was this? My comments only relate to camera tickets that are recent and since many cities are ending the program.

I heard a news story the other day that people are wanting a refund on camera tickets paid in the past since it appears the tickets do not meet legal standards. Apparently the cities are going to claim the money paid by people in the past will be considered "voluntary" so they won't be on the hook to refund.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,635,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
When was this? My comments only relate to camera tickets that are recent and since many cities are ending the program.

I heard a news story the other day that people are wanting a refund on camera tickets paid in the past since it appears the tickets do not meet legal standards. Apparently the cities are going to claim the money paid by people in the past will be considered "voluntary" so they won't be on the hook to refund.
It was several months ago. Like near the beginning of the year.

Are you serious? Voluntary?!?!

"Hey, that guy volunteered to give me his wallet! What? Yeah, I held a gun on him... but he didn't have to give it to me!"

We just paid a $496 red light ticket about 2 months ago (we were going to contest it until my friend told us her story). Believe me... it wasn't voluntary! My husband (who was driving) even went through 8 hours of driving school so it wouldn't go on his record.

It was bull, because "they" shortened the yellow light time. Lasted maybe a second. The car next to us slammed on their breaks and came to a screeching halt the second it turned yellow and BARELY made it. And they were behind us!

I'd be very curious to learn if one can petition to get ones money back. Not to mention the driving school "tuition" and the 8 hours spent taking the class.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM

7,474 posts, read 21,174,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
I got a red-light camera ticket back in April and has been postponed to Aug. The camera was located in Inglewood around the Hollywood park area. With the L.A. camera program being removed now, do I still need to pay the ticket? is the removal program only applies to city of L.A.?

thanks.
Did you go to court yet? Red lite tickets are easy to beat. Interested?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,850 times
Yes I'm interested, how do you "beat" a red light camera ticket?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,662 times
I have the same headache as the general population when it comes to camera tickets... I just got one this May 17th of this year and I want to fight it. I made a freaking right turn on a red light and there weren't any no right turn on red light signs, the road was clear with no pedestrians so naturally I made my move and I turned. I got my ticket at Crenshaw and Imperial. And i can't even find the citation number on my ticket to watch my apparent crime. All of this is a bunch of crap. Hopefully my I am a college student and I a, workimg to be a paramedic story helps and causes some compassion which I highly doubt. Anyway please wish me the best, I am not looking forward to paying a $500 ticket, at this moment I have more time than money and I rather pay with commmunity service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles