Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 PM

76 posts, read 158,038 times

Advertisements

We're British and based in London. My husband is being flown out to Santa Monica next week for final interviews with a company based there and they've offered to fly me out too, which will provide a great opportunity to get a feel for the place.

Have had a quick look at real estate places online and crikey it's expensive!! If we made the move, it would be us, our 3yr old and a baby due in November (we'd move after I give birth no matter when the job started). His work is based in Santa Monica but I know nothing about LA in general.

With probably only a day or two, what should I focus on to really get an insight into the area? Are there specific areas I should look round? Bearing in mind we're a young ex-pat family, obviously a decent neighbourhood is important but I'd rather be somewhere with a sense of community and is racially mixed than worry about high spec security and perfectly cut lawns. We don't live in the smartest area in London, never have, so are pretty city wise.

I have no idea at this stage what our budget would be, but we'd need 3 bedrooms so family and friends could stay. Finally I don't drive (would obviously learn before coming over!) so how the hell do I get around when we come next week?! Have heard public transport doesn't really exist and we're a carless family (like most) in London, hard ot get my head around!

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Western part of Venice and the middle/western parts of Santa Monica would be your best options.

the dollar is cheap for you. Check out craigslist.org and rent a 2 bedroom then buy a sofa bed for your visitors.

buses and taxis are pretty frequent and available in Santa Monica.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
a 3br apartment anywhere near SM is going to start around $2500 and go up from there. detached houses will be even more. you really should have an idea of what your housing budget will be before getting here so you can focus your search in the short time you will have. the good news is that bus service on the westside of LA is pretty good, especially the 'big blue bus'.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM

252 posts, read 519,178 times
for some reason there are a lot british people in santa monica. there is small tight knit british community in santa monica, I never noticed it until i worked at the book store a few years ago. A lot british people would hang out at the book store.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 25,355 times
Hey, congrats to your husband if he gets the job!
If you're only in Santa Monica for a few days I'd suggest:
- Find an estate agent who can take you to a variety of houses in nice-enough areas as this will help with the transport issues, you'll see how the areas link up, what the congestion is like and you'll learn so much more about locations by visiting in real life than you can by looking online. (I know, getting a tour via an estate agant is a Brit thing but if you reach out before the trip I'm sure you can find someone who would do it).
- Check out a few supermarkets to see how much everyday items cost. (personally the price of milk seems steep).
- Go to a garage/show room and take a look at car sale prices, talk to a salesperson for some advice re registration costs and insurance for various models.
- Take a trip on public transport to make sure you'd feel safe using it on your own with two little 'uns.
- And if you have time, take a look at playgrounds, open spaces, playgroups etc so you can make sure you get a good feel for the neighbourhood and think your family would be happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles