Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 17,903 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I've been a long time lurker here, though as my move date is getting closer I figured it wouldn't hurt to join and get some solid advice.

I'm a 24 year old college student moving for school (Gnomon School of Visual Effects). I'm currently in the process of securing an apartment in LA for $1,000. That's a steal for what I'm getting, at least from my understanding from searching listings for over 2 months. It's still not as low as where I'm currently at (Texas), but I know that LA is always going to be expensive no matter what.

The property listing is here:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2533361203.html (broken link)

The specific address is:
801 S Grand Ave Los Angeles CA 90017

Before I sign and hand over my money I wanted to know a few things -

Is the property in a relatively safe neighborhood?
Is the time table for the metro bus line close to what it promises?
Can someone clarify what a red line is?
Is the area I'd be walking to/from the bus line safe/populated?
Is this in the area known as WeHo?
What are some food areas around the place? Is there a market? (I prefer a farmer's market/grocery instead of fast food/delivery, saves money.)

My school hours can vary greatly depending on the day, and though I haven't received my schedule yet I can expect to stay from 9AM-4PM for classes and thereafter to 10PM for lab work. The lab actually closes at 1AM, though for now I don't plan on staying that late until I have more experience with the area and I obtain a car (I won't be taking one). During the day classes usually start at 9AM, so I was thinking of taking the metro at 8AM to give me ample time to get there.

I know there's no real 'true' safe place in LA, especially at night. Though thankfully I'm not a party/club person and if I do drink it'd be on occasion and with people I trust. The noise level doesn't bother me, as long as there's not a club across the street. Basically, any info on the street/area would be greatly appreciated, as Google Maps can only tell me so much.

And yes, this will be the first time I move out/live on my own, so really, if you feel you want to give me any more advice go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 PM

40 posts, read 145,007 times

WeHo is mostly in the 90069 zip code... not even close.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
That location you posted is in Downtown Los Angeles. Downtown LA has undergone a revitalization in the past few years. There are a lot more things to do and it is safer. In that location, you won't have a problem. I have heard there are not too many grocery stores downtown, but there is a Ralph's near you. This address is about 30-45 minutes from West Hollywood depending on traffic. Red Line refers to the subway line that goes from Downtown to North Hollywood in the Valley, not near West Hollywood. I am not familiar with bus schedules from Downtown to WeHo, but they should be plentiful.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 AM

5 posts, read 17,903 times
Thanks for the clarification guys.

I've visited California before, though it was brief and was at Disneyland and San Diego, hardly anywhere near this area. I don't have the luxury to fly out, check out the place, then fly back, so I'm opting for arriving there on my move day and moving in right away so I don't have to use hotels.

I've been reading up on a lot of renovation in the downtown area, although the information was from 2-3 years ago, so I just wanted a more accurate description from locals.

I was just about to look up the metro site online, that should answer any smaller questions I may have. What confuses me though is that Google Maps lists a bus line right outside the apartment area (it's visible in street view), except when I click on the bus option for transportation via "Get Directions" it takes me to a further bus stop. Wouldn't I be able to get to the school if I used the one outside the apartment building? I don't mind walking, but it's odd that I have to walk a block or two to get to the same destination.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Use the trip planner on the LA MTA website. It's the most accurate and will show you all the options available. The bus route from downtown to WeHo is probably in the 45 min range depending where you are going and leaving from.

Downtown is booming. Lots of new residences. There are over 60 bars/lounges/clubs. Some upscale restaurants, some not so fancy. The only major complaint I hear is there is only one major grocery store downtown, the rest are smaller markets. A lot of people who live downtown only stay downtown now.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneperson View Post
The specific address is:
801 S Grand Ave Los Angeles CA 90017

Before I sign and hand over my money I wanted to know a few things -

Is the property in a relatively safe neighborhood?
Yes, but this is Downtown LA. I live just down the street a couple block(8th/Flower) and love it. However you should be aware there are homeless and transients that come through the area and late night is a very bad time to be out by yourself. You'll see lots of people out on the weekends due to the bars(Big Wangs is at 8th/Grand, and Golden Gopher is by 8th/Olive) and so forth, even late. But LA is land of opportunity crime and it behooves you to be in a group late at night.

Quote:
Is the time table for the metro bus line close to what it promises?
Not sure you want to take the metro to SM/Vine area. The Red Line is much faster and probably more convinient. Its only a few blocks..10 min walk at MOST from 8th/Grand. There is an entrance at 7th/Hope. It will drop you off at Hollywood/Vine. Its about a mile walk from there to SM/Vine so I'm not so sure how that would work out, esp because that area gets sketchy at night. If you can stick to 9-4pm hours, it would be fine. Maybe theres a metro bus that you can take that short distance.

Quote:
Can someone clarify what a red line is?
Subway. $1.50 each way. Also monthly passes available but I'm not sure how much they are. I've taken it as much as 18 times per month and it wasn't worth it to buy a monthly pass.

Quote:
Is the area I'd be walking to/from the bus line safe/populated?
Yes as to both ends, with 10pm on Vine being sketchy, esp south of Sunset, and Downtown being fine at that time, even by yourself.

Quote:
No its not. The area you will be living is Downtown LA. The area you will be attending school is Hollywood.

Quote:
What are some food areas around the place? Is there a market? (I prefer a farmer's market/grocery instead of fast food/delivery, saves money.)
Downtown, there is a Ralphs a couple blocks from you at 9th/Hope. Tons of restaurants of all sorts.

Quote:
My school hours can vary greatly depending on the day, and though I haven't received my schedule yet I can expect to stay from 9AM-4PM for classes and thereafter to 10PM for lab work. The lab actually closes at 1AM, though for now I don't plan on staying that late until I have more experience with the area and I obtain a car (I won't be taking one). During the day classes usually start at 9AM, so I was thinking of taking the metro at 8AM to give me ample time to get there.
Red Line at that time comes every ten minutes. Takes ten minutes to walk to the station from your apt. Takes 30 min or less to get to Hollywood/Vine. Maybe 20 minute walk to the school. So an hour to an hour 15 min is a good estimation depending on how fast you walk. A bus will probably take 45 minutes extra, and even more if you have to transfer.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 3,881 times
It is far from your school. If you have no other business for residing downtown, try looking for something closer. You may want to look for studio, or if you have a contact to students get a 2 bedroom and share it with another person. Contact the school and ask them if they have an internet bulletin board, so you can post and search other posts. You may want to check out Hancock Park area, Melrose area. Also, check the sublet section on craigslist, maybe you can sublet a furnished apartment for few months and look for something while you are here. Just make sure that the person is really a tenant and has a lease with a landlord.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM

396 posts, read 906,211 times
You can find a studio for $1000 a month in many places in the city. Even with utilities included! Especially you don't have a car.

I'd advise you to live closer to your school. Downtown to Hollywood is kind of a pointless commute honestly since there are a billion apartments in Hollywood. I feel safer in Hollywood than downtown but I know where to go in Hollywood.

Stay north of Sunset and west of Gower. North of Hollywood blvd is even better. Never rent an apartment without seeing it first. Get a feel for the street and neighborhood. The safety of a street can be as simple as what side of the street you live on.

WeHo is also an option. The 4 and 704 run down Santa Monica to WeHo.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,504,253 times
If your school is in WeHo, than look there. Nice and safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles