Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times

Advertisements

Why don't you tell us more about your situation and maybe we can see if Carson is for you? Income, kids, lifestyle, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,608 times
Not cool man, I live in Gardena and its a great town.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM

890 posts, read 2,784,885 times
I lived in Carson since 1982. Went to Stephen M White Jr (Middle) High, and then to Carson High until 1982 graduated in 1986. I was out for 4 years while in the U.S. Navy, but visited back often.

So my view as new immigrant, Carson is very diverse with Filipino, Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Samoans, Blacks, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Puertoricans, Whites, Italians, Germans, and Russians are among the nationalities of my friends from Carson.

I moved back to Carson in 1990. Went to CSU Long Beach for college while still living in Carson. The only major news item back in the era was the LA Riots, and there was no burning that I knew off in Carson. The closest that I've see was in Long Beach in the East-Southeast.

If I put Carson City Hall in the center, I lived in the West and Southwest portion of Carson.

I bought my first house in 1998 for $135k in Carson, sold it for $498k in 2006.
I also bought a new house in 2003 for $550.

Wife also graduated from Carson High. We're both college grads. Our kids attend private schools.

As for gangs, I'm sure they exist in every area of LA. As for their activities, I have not seen much spray painting today circa 2011 compared to circa 1986.

In my first house 1998-2003, there were some teens who liked hangout their houses, but they are adults and have kids on their own now--mellowed out, rather than remaining that perceived gangster-wannabe lifestyle.

There's a newly built senior apartments across city hall.

Carson High School looks fine from the outside--it does not look run down or anything. There was even a new small building built in the front corner.

I frequent the Filipino food places on Main Street, on corner of Main and Carson, and further up in Carson past Avalon.

I also often go to the 24-Hour Fitness north further Avalon. There's an Ikea and the Southbay Pavillion (always been Carson Mall to me). I was just there last weekend with my kids and feel completely safe.

I was just at the Carson Library around 7pm last night and see plenty of kids and parents. It was no different from my experience in Torrance Library.

I also got my haircut at a local barbershop run by a Mexican family.

I go to the Carson Toyota for my car services in the east.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 AM

221 posts, read 424,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
I lived in Carson since 1982. Went to Stephen M White Jr (Middle) High, and then to Carson High until 1982 graduated in 1986. I was out for 4 years while in the U.S. Navy, but visited back often.

So my view as new immigrant, Carson is very diverse with Filipino, Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Samoans, Blacks, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Puertoricans, Whites, Italians, Germans, and Russians are among the nationalities of my friends from Carson.

I moved back to Carson in 1990. Went to CSU Long Beach for college while still living in Carson. The only major news item back in the era was the LA Riots, and there was no burning that I knew off in Carson. The closest that I've see was in Long Beach in the East-Southeast.

If I put Carson City Hall in the center, I lived in the West and Southwest portion of Carson.

I bought my first house in 1998 for $135k in Carson, sold it for $498k in 2006.
I also bought a new house in 2003 for $550.

Wife also graduated from Carson High. We're both college grads. Our kids attend private schools.

As for gangs, I'm sure they exist in every area of LA. As for their activities, I have not seen much spray painting today circa 2011 compared to circa 1986.

In my first house 1998-2003, there were some teens who liked hangout their houses, but they are adults and have kids on their own now--mellowed out, rather than remaining that perceived gangster-wannabe lifestyle.

There's a newly built senior apartments across city hall.

Carson High School looks fine from the outside--it does not look run down or anything. There was even a new small building built in the front corner.

I frequent the Filipino food places on Main Street, on corner of Main and Carson, and further up in Carson past Avalon.

I also often go to the 24-Hour Fitness north further Avalon. There's an Ikea and the Southbay Pavillion (always been Carson Mall to me). I was just there last weekend with my kids and feel completely safe.

I was just at the Carson Library around 7pm last night and see plenty of kids and parents. It was no different from my experience in Torrance Library.

I also got my haircut at a local barbershop run by a Mexican family.

I go to the Carson Toyota for my car services in the east.
Thanks, your post was very informative. It seems like a decent city. What made you go to CSULB over CSUDH in carson?

Old 10-02-2011, 03:00 AM

221 posts, read 424,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Why don't you tell us more about your situation and maybe we can see if Carson is for you? Income, kids, lifestyle, etc.
Income 65,000 a year with one kid whose in college at CSUDH in Carson.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
Hmmm.. I'm thinking of moving to Carson also. I live in Gardena though, so I am used to people over-exaggerating how "dangerous" an area is. Can anyone supply any info on the nicest/safest areas? Specific streets maybe?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Carson is a diverse middle class suburb for the most part. The most dangerous area is near Vitoria Park which is full of gangs.

The biggest drawback is there's 3 gas refineries surrounding the city. I couldn't stand the smell of that place.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
So this is your cousin's friend, not your friend which means you dont know her well enough to know if she's really ever encountered a gang member or not. CARSON is NOT GOOD. Just like its next door neighbors Compton and Gardena, I would NOT want to live there.

Here is a good representation of Carson:

Boo-Yaa TRIBE - R.A.I.D. - YouTube

Dude, even though that group is from Carson, that video is at least 23 years old!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,422 times
=V.N1GHTXCRAWLERS=
F#@K THE HATERS WE
AINT "DEFUNCT" WERE
STILL HERE HOMIES
WE JUST KNOW HOW
TO KEEP OUR BUISNESS
ON THE LOW LOW
ASK ANYBODY IN CARSON
THAT's AFFILIATED WITH
A GANG. THEY KNOW WHO
THE NIGHTXCRAWLERS
ARE. CARSON AND NWK
VEE EN CEE ONE THREE
BABY!!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Default Caraon is rough with nice homes in spots

Then again so is Torrance and so is Hawthorne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles