Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 17,316 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My boyfriend and I are moving from the East Coast to LA next month. We already signed a lease for a beautiful apartment in Silver Lake. My boyfriend was supposed to be working 2 miles away, and we just found out the location was switched unexpectedly from SL to Manhattan Beach.

Nightmare.

How awful is it going to be driving from Silver Lake to Manhattan Beach? I'm not sure how much it will help with traffic, but his hours are usually not traditional rush-hour times. It will probably only be for a year at most, but I have a feeling the commute is going to make it unbearably difficult.

Should we be very afraid? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,095,758 times
depending on what part of manhattan beach he'll be working, he may be able to use public transit. the red line has a couple stops near silver lake and the green line has stops in the eastern portion of manhattan beach. with all of the transfers though, it will probably be an hour or so commute at least. during non-rush hours, the drive would be less. but during the rush hours you're probably better off on the trains.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,461,850 times
Pretty sneaky of his boss to switch his working location when youv'e already made plans, I say have him demand his boss to stick to original plan or he ain't goin'

Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks BRinSM, we will definitely look into the Metro.

yamota, I know We worked so hard at getting an apartment only 5 minutes away... we always hear that the traffic in LA is enough to make someone lose their mind. At least one of us will be working at home...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

497 posts, read 1,497,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missgordon View Post
Thanks BRinSM, we will definitely look into the Metro.

yamota, I know We worked so hard at getting an apartment only 5 minutes away... we always hear that the traffic in LA is enough to make someone lose their mind. At least one of us will be working at home...
Wow. any way to get out of that lease? If you find another qualified renter to take it over you can work a deal with the owner.

Do a couple of dry runs and see how it goes. If he has a motorcycle, that may be the way to go. I know a guy that
works downtown at the LA Live Center and he lives in Redondo. He said its not too bad but he works at a restaurant
so he is driving off hours. I think he uses the 110 south.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,941,910 times
Living in Manhattan beach or surrounding areas would be much better regardless of the drive.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,967,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Living in Manhattan beach or surrounding areas would be much better regardless of the drive.
The O.P. already signed a lease. Nevertheless, different strokes for different folks. Some people would PREFER Silverlake to Manhattan Beach.

To the O.P., i agree with what has already been stated. Try to get out of that lease by explaining your situation. You've not moved in yet. Silverlake tends to be a pretty tight rental market so the landlord/owner might be willing to let you out.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:55 AM

Also, I don't think Metro is a very good option.

The closest red line (subway) stop to Silverlake is in Los Feliz (Vermont/Sunset) and it would require TWO transfers to get to the end of the Green Line which does not actually go into Manhattan Beach. Basically, you've have to catch a bus at that point (read: a THIRD transfer) to get all the way into M.B.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 AM

I think we're just going to have to bite the bullet. It's pretty tough finding an apartment from across the country, and we really found an amazing one. I'm a freelancer, work at home and we share one car. So I need to be close to fun things and public transportation that are within walking distance, and this apartment has that.

I'd be interested to see how long the commute would be at 8 or 11PM. Is there always bad traffic?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missgordon View Post
I think we're just going to have to bite the bullet. It's pretty tough finding an apartment from across the country, and we really found an amazing one. I'm a freelancer, work at home and we share one car. So I need to be close to fun things and public transportation that are within walking distance, and this apartment has that.

I'd be interested to see how long the commute would be at 8 or 11PM. Is there always bad traffic?
Missgordon: I don't think it's THAT bad. From 8pm to 11pm it would be MUCH lighter than peak hours. Roughly a 30 to 35 minute drive (under light non-peak hours).

Even at peak hours it's NOT that bad by LA commute standards. I know PLENTY of people who commute from the South Bay (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, or even Palos Verdes) who commute to Downtown LA. That is not much different from what your boyfriend will have to do (in reverse).

I think the best route from Silverlake to Manahattan Beach is via the 101 Freeway (south) to the 110 Freeway (south) to the 105 Freeway (west).

I can tell you that the 110 Freeway south (between downtown LA and the 105), even at peak hours, is pretty light. So that portion of his commute should move nicely. The 105 Freeway (west) gets pretty backed up weekday mornings (7am to 9 or 10am). I would guess that at PEAK hours you'd be looking at roughly a 45 to 60 minute commute on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles