Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times

Advertisements

Not as drastic as moving from the Midwest to L.A right? I've lived in OC for a long time and considering moving to L.A

Standard of living is about the same? From what I see, rents in L.A are actually cheaper than in OC.... In L.A there are a higher number of "cheap apartments" in undesirable areas and some super expensive places whereas OC has less extremes on both sides and prices are more in the middle.

Cost of living seems pretty much the same... gas, groceries... Right?

Traffic in L.A is a little bit worse.

Anything else?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Not as drastic as moving from the Midwest to L.A right? I've lived in OC for a long time and considering moving to L.A

Standard of living is about the same? From what I see, rents in L.A are actually cheaper than in OC.... In L.A there are a higher number of "cheap apartments" in undesirable areas and some super expensive places whereas OC has less extremes on both sides and prices are more in the middle.

Cost of living seems pretty much the same... gas, groceries... Right?

Traffic in L.A is a little bit worse.

Anything else?
More public transit options, which is something that's important for me.

Now if I only can find a full-time job in LA county, my life would be made. Unfortunately, I use mass transit into OC ... Which is why I'm not impressed with their mass transit system.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
When I fled OC for Los Angeles County 30 years ago (first Long Beach, then L.A. proper), it was not for the transit but for the variety, entertainment, urban vibe, etc. Now the transit draws my friends here, among other things. I'd say the cost of living is basically the same, though you can find things to do for free or cheaper. That's largely because there is more of everything, alot more options. I don't go down to OC often, but I admit I still get a charge out of driving up the 5 to the 101, taking in the skyline just like I did when I drove up from OC for the gigs and movies back in the day.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
Crossing the Orange Curtain seems like a bit of a leap to me. Cost of living won't be a shock to your system, no, but you're leaving the righty-tighty godlands and entering... Los Angeles.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
i made the leap about 6 or 7 years ago and have no regrets. LA is perfect for me because I have all the big city amenities I could ever need plus I still have the socal lifestyle that I grew up with. LA can be frustrating at times, but no place is perfect. here are some observations I have made in my time in LA:

1. traffic is worse in LA (although OC is no slouch in this category)
2. air quality is about the same
3. houses/apartments cost about the same, but you get newer/nicer/larger homes in OC for the same price.
4. not a lot of non-hispanic families in LA
5. MANY more jews in LA compared to OC
6. LA's crime/gang issues have been overly sensationalized by the media
7. on average, street conditions (potholes, litter, graffiti, etc...) are worse in LA
8. parking is free almost everywhere in OC except for at universities and sporting events. parking is free almost nowhere in LA except for some shopping areas. i remember having to pay $15 to park after my first dr appt in my LA! as ridiculous as it sounds, the cost of parking was the most difficult transition for me.

Last edited by BRinSM; 08-15-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
It depends on where in OC to where in LA. I moved from North Hollywood to Mission Viejo when I was a kid, and the change was drastic. But moving from most anywhere northwest of the 55 isn't going to be too much of a change. My biggest reservations about moving to LA are the crowds, traffic, and stress. Traffic is more than just "a little" worse in LA than OC, and parking anywhere in LA is a giant pain in the ass. I do enjoy the liveliness of LA much more than OC, but it's just a shame that getting around town takes away so much from being able to enjoy it.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
From what I see, rents in L.A are actually cheaper than in OC.... In L.A there are a higher number of "cheap apartments" in undesirable areas and some super expensive places whereas OC has less extremes on both sides and prices are more in the middle.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing myself. From what I've seen on craigslist and other listing sites, there really aren't any "Irvine Company" style apartments in LA. Mostly either cheap ghetto-status boxes, or swanky high-end boxes. Anything in between is actually some kind of cross between the two.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't care about mass transit. I currently drive everywhere in OC and I'll drive everywhere in L.A. Don't really like sitting next to/around a bunch of strangers to be honest; I like to drive.

Vinsanity, I currently live in Lake Forest, South OC but i have lived everywhere in OC; Anaheim when I was in middle school, HB in high school, ghetto'ish area of Garden Grove when I was in my twenties. I have lived in pristine S. OC plus what others consider the sketchier parts and it's all good to me. I feel comfortable everywhere.

I have noticed more smog in L.A. Imho, L.A traffic is much, much worse than the 405 in O.C.

Also noticed that the roads and freeways are of horrible quality in L.A; potholes everywhere, uneven roads. Horrible. Roads and freeways in OC are so smooth and wide and nice.

I plan to live around Studio City so it won't be too crazy.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Also noticed that the roads and freeways are of horrible quality in L.A; potholes everywhere, uneven roads. Horrible. Roads and freeways in OC are so smooth and wide and nice.
This reminds me of another reason I'm on the fence about moving to LA: a giant pothole busted up my rim and tire, and cost me $500 to replace them. If/when I move, I plan on using public transit to commute to work. I enjoy driving as much as the next, but I don't find very much to be enjoyed about driving in this town.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
This reminds me of another reason I'm on the fence about moving to LA: a giant pothole busted up my rim and tire, and cost me $500 to replace them. If/when I move, I plan on using public transit to commute to work. I enjoy driving as much as the next, but I don't find very much to be enjoyed about driving in this town.
Wow, are you serious? I haven't been avoiding potholes, I didn't think it could damage my car. There is a really bad big pothole area from the 5N to to the 10W, right when you get into the 10W. It's like the whole lane is a giant pothole for a few feet. I've been driving right through it all this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles