Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,913,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
no idea about the frontier hotel
The Frontier Hotel is located directly across from the Rosslyn Lofts (formerly The Rosslyn Hotel) and used to be part of that hotel until sometime in the 70's. The two buildings look alike.

I'd move there if it wasn't right next door to skid row. The buildings are great, but I wouldn't feel safe walking up to my apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 31,681 times
Thanks for the suggestions. My problem with Rosslyn and Alexandria is from Yelp I see there are problems with bed bugs and/or cockroaches...which is where I draw the line. I will check out the other ones and craigslist of course although I haven't found much there.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoel View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. My problem with Rosslyn and Alexandria is from Yelp I see there are problems with bed bugs and/or cockroaches...which is where I draw the line. I will check out the other ones and craigslist of course although I haven't found much there.
I'm not at all surprised about the bedbugs and roaches. Both used to be welfare hotels just a few years ago. They probably didn't get a very thorough cleaning.

The buildings have a tremendous potential though. At one time they were incredible.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM

237 posts, read 668,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoel View Post
Does anyone know of any cheap housing in the downtown area? I'm open to anything but I love the downtown area the most and would love to live there. Don't have a ton of money right now or a high paying job but I wondered if there was anything that I could possibly afford to live in (under $700/month let's say but cheaper is best). I don't mind sharing a place or living in a not so nice place (within reason). I do have a car so getting around isn't a problem.
One huge advantage to working downtown is that because it is the mass transit hub, you can live just about anywhere in the region and take a train or bus into downtown. This greatly increases your housing opportunities and makes it far more possible to find a place to live within your budget.

Check out MTA dot net to see the Metro Rail map and the cities and communities it serves.

Also go to metrolinktrains dot com to see the commuter rail network for the cities and counties it serves.

Please don't expect London at all in L.A. And our once largest and most comprehensive rail system is the world was ripped out decades ago, so our having to "rebuild" or rail system means that it is NOT a comprehensive system, yet. There are A LOT of places rail does NOT go. Please don't expect the massive Tube system here. But if you plan well and choose wisely a place to live, your public transit experience getting to work will be excellent.

I do highly recommend getting an automobile, as our public transit is really poor on the weekends and it is inadequate for exploring the many great places it doesn't serve well.
Good, luck.
Personally, I would rather live in South Pasadena and take the Gold Line into work.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I'm not at all surprised about the bedbugs and roaches. Both used to be welfare hotels just a few years ago. They probably didn't get a very thorough cleaning.

The buildings have a tremendous potential though. At one time they were incredible.

then why isn't the news reporting it or the board of health doing something about it?

Yelp is awesome but a lot of times you get one time posters who post BS. Are these posters seasoned posters or do they just have a few posts and are they all negative?

Go check the place yourself and see what the places look like

Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
then why isn't the news reporting it or the board of health doing something about it?

Yelp is awesome but a lot of times you get one time posters who post BS. Are these posters seasoned posters or do they just have a few posts and are they all negative?

Go check the place yourself and see what the places look like
The postings on the bugs are probably mostly old. Both places underwent a complete overhaul and remodel just a couple years ago. While not anywhere near perfect...the Down and Outer bar at Alexandria is populated with transient drug users.....its not as horrible as some would have you believe.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
Is the area just west of Downtown LA between, the 110 to MacAurthur Park still cheap to rent? The subway can get you into downtown in minutes and several buses run down Wilshire into downtown quickly. It might be the next place that will improve for those priced out of Downtown's high rental market.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Good question! Incompetence? Lack of resources?

I know the roaches go back to at least the early 90's.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Is the area just west of Downtown LA between, the 110 to MacAurthur Park still cheap to rent? The subway can get you into downtown in minutes and several buses run down Wilshire into downtown quickly. It might be the next place that will improve for those priced out of Downtown's high rental market.
A friend who's either very impoverished or very frugal lives in the area.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM

14 posts, read 40,824 times
I live in the Rosslyn. I love living here. Some tenants had some issues with bedbugs in the past (when there was that big wave going on in all parts of the US), but management handled it very quickly. They're building a park right on Spring street. We're down the street from Pershing Square and the Metro station. As far as the drug dealing...maybe im just not aware as other people. I dont see too much of that going on around there unless you're talking about Main, Los Angeles, San Pedro...basically around Skid Row and beyond.

I only see things improving here. Even in the Rosslyn rents are going up for new tenants and are rising for existing tenants, which tells me it will start to price certain people out of here.

Someone mentioned the Bristol. There's a loft building on Spring and 6th that has cheaper rents but the waiting list is long.

You might want to consider living just adjacent to downtown and also Craigslist.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles