Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 PM

26 posts, read 186,134 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am moving from Kentucky. I am debating whether I should drive down in my car that isnt really worth much, or fly and buy a car in LA? Is it better and cheaper to buy a car in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,511,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agranville View Post
Hello! I am moving from Kentucky. I am debating whether I should drive down in my car that isnt really worth much, or fly and buy a car in LA? Is it better and cheaper to buy a car in LA?
Drive out with your cheap car, secure your residence, work, get to know the areas where the dealers are, check the papers, internet ads, then leisurely shop for another car and take your time to get the right car and the right price.

Buying a used are isn't fun or easy in Los Angeles. There are many available but it takes time, a clear head, and diligence to avoid getting burned.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 19,562 times
You are in for some culture shock coming from Kentucky to LA.My cousin is from Lexington and he could not get over the cost and the traffic here when he visited me last month.I hope you have some moonshine to sell because this place is expensive.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,471 times
L.A. is brimming with cheap used cars. The caveat is that you have to be able to sniff out the good ones from the bad ones. I just bought a DIRT cheap BMW convertible from a celebrity. I still can't believe how cheap it was. I'll point out...I'm a semi-expert when it comes to buying used cars which is why I almost never waste my money on a brand new one. If your car is good and reliable, why not keep it? The only thing is that California has very strict smog checks and will your vehicle pass? Sometimes they require additional equipment i.e. "California Emissions". In L.A. you need a car with good a/c, good brakes, decent stereo and that doesn't overheat in stop and go traffic.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmogBird07 View Post
You are in for some culture shock coming from Kentucky to LA.My cousin is from Lexington and he could not get over the cost and the traffic here when he visited me last month.I hope you have some moonshine to sell because this place is expensive.
LOL. I was there over Christmas and New Years this past year visting my sister in Culver City. I flew in and rented a car from the air port. I got a whiff of the traffic first hand. It was hectic but everybody here say I drive crazy so I kind of fit in. I didnt know though if I could take the long drive which would take about three to four days. One day if your drive straight through and no amount of moonshine could keep me sain through that!!!LOL

Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
L.A. is brimming with cheap used cars. The caveat is that you have to be able to sniff out the good ones from the bad ones. I just bought a DIRT cheap BMW convertible from a celebrity. I still can't believe how cheap it was. I'll point out...I'm a semi-expert when it comes to buying used cars which is why I almost never waste my money on a brand new one. If your car is good and reliable, why not keep it? The only thing is that California has very strict smog checks and will your vehicle pass? Sometimes they require additional equipment i.e. "California Emissions". In L.A. you need a car with good a/c, good brakes, decent stereo and that doesn't overheat in stop and go traffic.
What do you mean by strict checks? Since you are a semi-expert tell me to make a 31 hour drive from Kentucky to LA, what do I need to make sure that is okay with my car? I know have new tires and breaks fixed but what else???? LOL

Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,474 times
Quote:
What do you mean by strict checks? Since you are a semi-expert tell me to make a 31 hour drive from Kentucky to LA, what do I need to make sure that is okay with my car? I know have new tires and breaks fixed but what else???? LOL
I assume it's that you have to pass an emissions test before you can register your car in CA. If you have to pass periodic emissions checks in Kentucky like we do here in northen VA, you're probably ok. If not, you may need to pay to get your car updated or apply for some sort of waiver.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 AM

I've never heard of an emissions check. We do not do that here! It doesnt matter what car you have you can have it here, you just cant have tint any darker than .5. Thats the only thing I know.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM

157 posts, read 675,524 times
Newer cars tend to be ok in California, if you come to Cali driving a 91 VW Jetta you might have a problem. Personally, I would sell there fly out and buy here. Just find a <edit name>and you shouldn't get burned, I have bought my last 5 cars thru <edit name> and always get a good deal.

Last edited by jimj; 08-19-2007 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-17-2007, 12:54 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,798 times
Quote:
I've never heard of an emissions check. We do not do that here! It doesnt matter what car you have you can have it here, you just cant have tint any darker than .5. Thats the only thing I know.
i mentioned this to you in the other thread. did you forget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles