Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 AM

107 posts, read 118,894 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about Congresswoman Maxine Waters (Calif. District #35) ethics problems. Charges stem from federal assistance and personal interest. Waters is a big Section 8 (Housing vouchers for rent and utility assistance) person. Anyway, I go to look at the district, and find info about Gardena. It looks like a paradise. Neat and clean, nice streets and cars. So, what am I missing here? I expected to see a combat zone. Not at all. So, why run a person like Waters? 'Splain, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
I have been reading about Congresswoman Maxine Waters (Calif. District #35) ethics problems. Charges stem from federal assistance and personal interest. Waters is a big Section 8 (Housing vouchers for rent and utility assistance) person. Anyway, I go to look at the district, and find info about Gardena. It looks like a paradise. Neat and clean, nice streets and cars. So, what am I missing here? I expected to see a combat zone. Not at all. So, why run a person like Waters? 'Splain, please.
Maxine Waters district covers a LOT more area than just Gardena.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Plus, there are ok areas of Gardena. I lived there for a few years and felt fine parking my nice car on the street. It wasn't as fun as Manhattan Beach, which I moved to just as soon as I made a little more money, but it wasn't that bad either.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 AM

237 posts, read 668,777 times
Actually, Waters transgression was a stupid mistake that she should have seen was going to raise questions, not at all comparable to NY''s Charles Rangel's clear wrong doings or Dan Rastenkowski's criminal deed nor just about any other member of the U.S. Congress.

Maxine proceeded as if she were acting on behalf of a constitute or business that is important in her community and to her constituents. A sound argument could made for that, as she has done. Her mistake was in not appreciating how it could be interpreted as an inappropriate action on her part on behalf of a business to which she has some connection though her husband. It is the sort of thing a politician as smart as Waters should have just said, "forget it. It's gonna look bad." But she didn't think it would turn out the way it did, and the Ethics Committee can't figure out what to do with this non-crime. They should just slap her wrist and move on and Maxine should learn from this and move on.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM

107 posts, read 118,894 times
I am still not getting how a district with a median income of close to $40k a year that looks as beautiful as Gardena should be getting 250,000 Section 8 Housing Assistance Vouchers, $7-8,000 each. Hell, there are 600,000 people in the district. Maxine Waters' ethical issues aside, I just don't see how that works.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
You must have missed my prior post answering you question.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
I am still not getting how a district with a median income of close to $40k a year that looks as beautiful as Gardena should be getting 250,000 Section 8 Housing Assistance Vouchers, $7-8,000 each. Hell, there are 600,000 people in the district. Maxine Waters' ethical issues aside, I just don't see how that works.
As JohnG72 noted earlier in the thread, her district covers a much larger area than Gardena, including some of the poorest areas of LA County.

California's 35th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No less important is your math appears to be WAY OFF. The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles ONLY administers approx. 50,000 Section 8 Vouchers.

Looks like you pulled the 250,000 housing vouchers number out of a hat. There is no way her district has that many housing vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles