Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,311 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

I'm yet another suburban girl (Orlando, FL.) looking to move to L.A. I would love some insight on my current situation and if anyone can give any sort of advice, it would be VERY much appreciated. I've been reading the forums and researching for a few weeks now, but it never hurts to get more insight!

I would be planning on moving in with my sister (within the next year) who lives alone in Burbank and I would have my own car. From what I've read, I think I have a leg up in that department. I am currently finishing my B.A. in history and planning on gaining my masters online with a FL. school in Library Science -- a field that has little opportunity in Florida.

I guess I would like to know how much money would you advice on my saving before leaving and any realistic advice I could get with what I've presented. I'm just looking for any and all anyone has to offer! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,594 times
Save as much as you can. Remember every 2 years your car has to tested for SMOG here in California.
If your car isnt CA approved, then sell it there because it will cost $$$$ to get it retro fitted.
A MLS is a good degree (kinda a dead profession) but you can still find a gig here and there.

(btw--burbank is an arm pit)

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM

181 posts, read 290,588 times
Burbank is the greatest. I've been here 29 years..wouldn't live anywhere else in L.A. County.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 PM

181 posts, read 290,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerama View Post

(btw--burbank is an arm pit)
You wish to explain that?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,535,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $musicman$ View Post
You wish to explain that?
x2 ... every city has pros and cons, but I don't normally hear all that much negative about Burbank....?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,091,885 times
cakerama is clueless. advice was terrible anyway to begin with altogether. loser...

anyway, burbank is great. close to hollywood, downtown, and to LA in general. it's one of the safest areas in LA to live. clean, takes you away from all the hustle and bustle at the end of the day.

it's good to have a degree, depends what you want work in. it's all about networking really. you'll find something to start out, might take some time for a field you really want. if you're already moving in with someone and have a car, i'd say you'd need around at least $2k to get you started here. have fun!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,311 times
Thanks so far, everyone! I've got a few friends out there now who are already willing to help me transition -- I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can if I really want to be out there by next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
cakerama is clueless. advice was terrible anyway to begin with altogether. loser...

anyway, burbank is great. close to hollywood, downtown, and to LA in general. it's one of the safest areas in LA to live. clean, takes you away from all the hustle and bustle at the end of the day.

it's good to have a degree, depends what you want work in. it's all about networking really. you'll find something to start out, might take some time for a field you really want. if you're already moving in with someone and have a car, i'd say you'd need around at least $2k to get you started here. have fun!
Thank you so much! $2K would be so easy for me to save up -- like I said, I think moving in with someone and having a car gives me a great start already, but I'm still extremely nervous to go form Orlando to L.A. But if networking is a real key, I'll get right on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles