Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,919 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for a 3bdrm apartment on a $55K yearly salary. What areas in LA would be most safe paying between 1100 and $1525 per month in rent? I also have 3 kids (15, 13 and 7) and would like a good school district. We are from Harlem but lived in Atlanta (Dunwoody) GA for 2 years so they have gotten used to suburbia. I appreciate your help and look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,727,762 times
You won't find a 3b for 1500 in any good area on that budget. Maybe in a middling area(stress the maybe). Question is where is work?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,595 times
East LA like Monterey Park or Rosemead is good. Rent is good and schools are great.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,607,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemdna View Post
I'm currently looking for a 3bdrm apartment on a $55K yearly salary. What areas in LA would be most safe paying between 1100 and $1525 per month in rent? I also have 3 kids (15, 13 and 7) and would like a good school district. We are from Harlem but lived in Atlanta (Dunwoody) GA for 2 years so they have gotten used to suburbia. I appreciate your help and look forward to your responses.
$1525 is going to be pushing it for a three bedroom. You don't say what race you are, but if you are African-American, you won't really feel comfortable in some of the areas that are affordable but still have ok schools.

Some of this will also depend on where you work. The area where I think your money might stretch the most AND has ok schools is probably Bellflower, Long Beach and Lakewood. Just make sure that in Lakewood you are in an area zoned to Bellflower school district or Long Beach school district(Lakewood is actually covered by four different school districts with Paramount school district being awful and ABC school district schools in that area not so good, although ironically the ABC school district also contains the #1 performing high school in the state).

As to Long Beach, you just need to be careful that you are in a safe area. Most of the high schools are at least ok. Some of the elementary and middle schools are sub par.

Also note that if your job is in the SFV or westside, this info won't do you any good. If the job is anywhere south of the 10 freeway, your ok. Downtown LA is also ok, especially if you can start work by 7am.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks for such a quick reply. I am black. My previous neighborhood was predominantly white and Asian (Indian) in a great shopping neighborhood, so I'm pretty comfortable in just about any setting as long as there is a good mix and most importantly, good schools.

Once again I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
$1525 is going to be pushing it for a three bedroom. You don't say what race you are, but if you are African-American, you won't really feel comfortable in some of the areas that are affordable but still have ok schools.

Some of this will also depend on where you work. The area where I think your money might stretch the most AND has ok schools is probably Bellflower, Long Beach and Lakewood. Just make sure that in Lakewood you are in an area zoned to Bellflower school district or Long Beach school district(Lakewood is actually covered by four different school districts with Paramount school district being awful and ABC school district schools in that area not so good, although ironically the ABC school district also contains the #1 performing high school in the state).

As to Long Beach, you just need to be careful that you are in a safe area. Most of the high schools are at least ok. Some of the elementary and middle schools are sub par.

Also note that if your job is in the SFV or westside, this info won't do you any good. If the job is anywhere south of the 10 freeway, your ok. Downtown LA is also ok, especially if you can start work by 7am.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks so much! I'm excited about coming out West (I sound like a 1800's prospector LOL). I'm starting my research asap.

Have a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerama View Post
East LA like Monterey Park or Rosemead is good. Rent is good and schools are great.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I've recently obtained a great position (for the first time ever) that doesn't keep me office bound. Currently working in NYC office. Going forward, Most travel will be to and from events and important meetings but travel to and from an office is not going to be an issue. Day to day travel will include school, shopping, etc. would be my biggest concern.

Thanks again and best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
You won't find a 3b for 1500 in any good area on that budget. Maybe in a middling area(stress the maybe). Question is where is work?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM

672 posts, read 2,171,398 times
You might also look at Torrance. The east side of Torrance isn't too expensive, and the school district is pretty good.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,727,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemdna View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I've recently obtained a great position (for the first time ever) that doesn't keep me office bound. Currently working in NYC office. Going forward, Most travel will be to and from events and important meetings but travel to and from an office is not going to be an issue. Day to day travel will include school, shopping, etc. would be my biggest concern.

Thanks again and best regards.
So what is tying you to LA if you can work from home? There are many great places that you can live with that salary. LA is one of the hardest after SF and NY.

There are outlying areas like Murrieta and such where your dollar will go a lot longer as well while still having very good schools and neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles