Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM

102 posts, read 513,462 times

Advertisements

No matter how much you whine, it does not effect me. Why don't you contribute to the well-being of your own community, instead of trying to unjustifiably tear down a place that you do not even live in anymore. People want to hear from people who actually live in a place, because they understand it. I agree, Lancaster is not perfect, no place is! The main thing I can say is the citizens of Lancaster are doing a whole lot more than most citizens of other communities. This action on behalf of the citizens is bringing about many positive changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 33,620 times
Hello every one:

Please hel me

I would like to know about Lancaster and Palmdale areas:
Good schools and college for the kids.
Nice apartment areas to rent.
Areas to avoid.
I see nice homes for sale for under $130K. Is it true?
Are they in safe area?
I used to live in Gardena and South Central LA so I dont get scare easily,
but that was years ago and I have children and want to keep them safe.
How far people drive to work?
I am a nurse with experience in recovering patients after surgery but
I dont see many openings for that in the area, though I would take other
positions if needed.
Do people drive from there to LA to work?
Thanks for your answers and opinions.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincaeskimo View Post
Hello every one:

Please help me

I would like to know about Lancaster and Palmdale areas:
Good schools and college for the kids.
Nice apartment areas to rent.
Areas to avoid.
I see nice homes for sale for under $130K. Is it true?
Are they in safe area?
I used to live in Gardena and South Central LA so I don't get scare easily,
but that was years ago and I have children and want to keep them safe.
How far people drive to work?
I am a nurse with experience in recovering patients after surgery but
I don't see many openings for that in the area, though I would take other
positions if needed.
Do people drive from there to LA to work?
Thanks for your answers and opinions.
Generally stay on the West sides. I know of West Oaks Apartments, and there are other nice apartments, just try to stay west of 15th street west. There are nice homes for sale for 130k. There are small, but there are some nice small homes for that price range on the west side.

Your children will be safe here, I have never had any problems, and none of my friends have ever had any problems with the safety of their kids. Many kids play outside in my neighborhood.

Many people drive from this area to the valley or even downtown la. Many people do it, but I would not recommend it if you have an option. If you can find a job here, it would be nice to stay close to where you work. If you have children, also look into what school district you would be in. The westside school district, tends to have the better schools.

I thoroughly enjoy the slower pace of life up here. Life moves slower up here. Some people struggle with that, but most people move up here because of the slower pace of life. Even though it is close to LA, it is different. It tends to be more conservative and religious than most of the LA area. Some people like that, some people don't.

I grew up here, and still live here. If I had kids, I would definitely raise them here instead of closer to LA, on in LA. I had a great childhood, and there is so much open space, which just allows kids to roam.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 17,870 times
I don’t think a family with children should relocate to new area without checking Megan’s Law website. And as stated in another post yes of course it’s a parent’s responsibility to watch and protect their children and I believe the majority do. But there are still kids raped and molested day in and out at school, parks, in route and also in the home. As a responsible parent I would definitely take into consideration the number of registered sex offenders in an area before relocating with children. That is just my opinion…

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAgain... View Post
I don’t think a family with children should relocate to new area without checking Megan’s Law website. And as stated in another post yes of course it’s a parent’s responsibility to watch and protect their children and I believe the majority do. But there are still kids raped and molested day in and out at school, parks, in route and also in the home. As a responsible parent I would definitely take into consideration the number of registered sex offenders in an area before relocating with children. That is just my opinion…
I agree with this post. This is a good idea no matter where you live. You just need to remember something about the Antelope Valley, it is very spread out, and so you may not be as close to something as you think. We have fabulous law enforcement and neighborhood watch commitees out here, which also make a huge difference.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM

11 posts, read 35,880 times
Default Great place to live, about 35 years ago.

I had lived in Lancaster Ca since 1968. When we moved there (I was 8 at the time) the population was about 20,000. Until about 1978 you could go to sleep at night and leave the doors and windows in your house open all night to save electricity due to air conditioning. The worst things that happened to me growing up was an occasional fight with other kids. If you want to gauge quality of life in a city, count the number of emergency sirens heard a week. It was about 3.

Then they built that freeway (Ca Hwy 14). Just about every type of city nuisance showed up, and it didn't take long. No, scratch that, EVERY type of city nuisance, along with gangs and 200,000 other people in Lancaster alone. Sirens heard a week, about 3, A DAY. Well, in the mean time I met my wife and in later years (2010) her mother passed and left us about $190,000. Needless to say we left, without so much as looking back, "Hasta la vista, suckers"!

If we did not have local family we'd have moved out of California entirely, but as it was we found a little patch of "Arizona" in California only an hours drive away. It's everything Lancaster used to be; Lower cost of living, people that greet you at every turn, people that wait for their turns at intersections, helpful people in stores and you can leave your door open at night.

One of our daughters who also lived in Lancaster at one time was living (existing?) in VictorVille Ca until 6 months ago and she had a look at our new home-town on line. We found, not surprisingly, that the best public schools, not just in California, but also among the best in the US is right here. Why? When we went to visit we found out why. Because they place knowledge, patriotism, self reliance and virtue first and steer clear of political correctness and left wing indoctrination. The exact opposite from Lancaster. So now she and her family live here, too.

Lastly, we can actually see the stars again, hear the birds and other wildlife. Where is this Right Wing paradise in occupied California? Sorry, the last thing we need is certain "elements of the left" coming to town to butcher our schools and quality of life. So go ahead, move to that cesspool. As for us, well, we hear maybe 3 sirens a week, at the worst.

Last edited by PalomarJack; 02-16-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalomarJack View Post
I had lived in Lancaster Ca since 1968. When we moved there (I was 8 at the time) the population was about 20,000. Until about 1978 you could go to sleep at night and leave the doors and windows in your house open all night to save electricity due to air conditioning. The worst things that happened to me growing up was an occasional fight with other kids. If you want to gauge quality of life in a city, count the number of emergency sirens heard a week. It was about 3.

Then they built that freeway (Ca Hwy 14). Just about every type of city nuisance showed up, and it didn't take long. No, scratch that, EVERY type of city nuisance, along with gangs and 200,000 other people in Lancaster alone. Sirens heard a week, about 3, A DAY. Well, in the mean time I met my wife and in later years (2010) her mother passed and left us about $190,000. Needless to say we left, without so much as looking back, "Hasta la vista, suckers"!

If we did not have local family we'd have moved out of California entirely, but as it was we found a little patch of "Arizona" in California only an hours drive away. It's everything Lancaster used to be; Lower cost of living, people that greet you at every turn, people that wait for their turns at intersections, helpful people in stores and you can leave your door open at night.

One of our daughters who also lived in Lancaster at one time was living (existing?) in VictorVille Ca until 6 months ago and she had a look at our new home-town on line. We found, not surprisingly, that the best public schools, not just in California, but also among the best in the US is right here. Why? When we went to visit we found out why. Because they place knowledge, patriotism, self reliance and virtue first and steer clear of political correctness and left wing indoctrination. The exact opposite from Lancaster. So now she and her family live here, too.

Lastly, we can actually see the stars again, hear the birds and other wildlife. Where is this Right Wing paradise in occupied California? Sorry, the last thing we need is certain "elements of the left" coming to town to butcher our schools and quality of life. So go ahead, move to that cesspool. As for us, well, we hear maybe 3 sirens a week, at the worst.
Ridgecrest.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanke View Post
I grew up in the antelope valley. Lived there for 40 years. Their are some good area's but I moved out because of the crime and general quality of life is terrible.
There are some that can't understand the truth of your post. We moved out for the same reason.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM

Yeah, I agree that Lancaster is not the place it was 35 years ago, there are many residents who have lived here since the town was very young, and they attest to these changes. Lancaster is no longer a small town. And yes, there are people that moved because Lancaster is no longer a small town. Some people do not like change. Lancaster is one of the largest cities in LA county. If someone is wanting to move to a small town, Lancaster and Palmdale are not it. I could recommend Rosamond, Mojave, Tehachapi or Ridgecrest as nearby areas that still have that small town atmosphere, with a sense of identity. The thing is that if you are wanting to stay in a small town that won't grow, you will need to move out of southern CA. The megalopolis of LA is spreading all over southern CA. This high speed train will make my words even more accurate. Within time, small far-flung areas of LA and Kern county will be part of greater LA.

I know that Lancaster is not fantasyland, and I don't want to give that image. I love what Lancaster stands for. I love the fact that this area was and is being built upon the accomplishments of military and aerospace development. Lancaster still is more small townish than any other place in LA county. Any time I see people having car problems, I see a couple of cars pulled over trying to help. This sort of attitude is still prevalent. Everywhere I go, I still always run into people I know. It is impossible to go anywhere in the AV, without running into a friend. Life is still much slower here than anywhere down below. Most people I run into are still courteous, even though not every person is. Like an earlier post said, the freeway brought many changes. Lancaster has had multiple spurts of huge unplanned growth, which is a challenge to any city. Lancaster is responding in many positive ways to make itself into a great place, and is finding much success.

Lancaster is not what is used to be, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Growth happens, lets just make sure that it continues to grow into a great place.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,334 times
I was looking to move to Lancaster because living in San Diego is just getting crazy and I was wondering if anyone knew if there are jobs up there or is it hard to find. Right now I'm making min. Wage and it's. Struggle so a change would be nice. I have a class b license an would like to use it but I've never been to that area and was hoping someone knew if places where hiring. It wouldn't be worth moving there if I couldn't find work and I do hav a child who would be with me At times and would want another so if someone knows of a good neighborhood it would be appreciated to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles