Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM

102 posts, read 511,753 times

Advertisements

Generally stay on the westside. Try to get homes or apartments in zip codes 93536 or 93551. As far as hiring goes, look online, and see what comes up. It is hard to get a job anywhere right now. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 PM

156 posts, read 403,130 times
westside

Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 15,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbodyjobe View Post
Are people serious. you must not get out of town to much or do much research on your own town. I was born and raised on the west side of lancaster Ave K and 20th st. I have been in the military now for 13 years and now live in san diego. I am so glad I am out of Lancaster. Lets put it this way Lancaster has one of if not the most Registered Sex Offenders in the state of California. If you don't believe me check it out for yourself. I am doing a college paper on this exact study and my mom was the one that told me about it since she did daycare for over 23 years she knows all about this. After doing my own research its definitely true. Let me just move right in. The housing is cheap for this reason and others like the violence, gang activity, and drug trafficking in the area. My advice to you is NOT TO MOVE HERE. Your tax money pays for this Registered Sex offender Program that the State has put together. Put your money to use and check out this program and you will see Lancaster is not the place to raise kids.
I totally agree with beachbodyjobe comments, 1000% correct as I have lived in the Antelope Valley Area for over 20 years!!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 15,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have lived most of my life in the LA area and am very aware that if I want to stop renting and actually own my own property - I have to move to the Antelope Valley or the Inland Empire. And even those areas real estate markets are heating up. I may have to leave the state.

@beach - I understand your concern - and I am not defending sex offendors. I just take issue with those who deny those offendors who have paid their debt to society still being hounded. Is your intent that they have NO place to live and end up reoffending - and go back to prison? Do you realize what that will cost taxpayers. Let's give those who truly want to transform their lives a chance and the oppurtuinity to live in a stable enviroment where they can thrive as productive members of society. Don't fear what they may do to your child - law enforcement will keep a close eye on them - and isn't it YOUR responsibility to protect your child? Do your job. In the end the bad seeds will go back to prison for a long time - and those who truly wish to change will do so, without your bias to get in their way.
Harrier, unless you has children of your own you wouldn't understand the feeling of having a child molester living next to you. As far as I'm concerned the authorities should keeping in jail forever!! as they are a menace to Society.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Having kids, I understand as well. There should be much stricter laws regarding sex offenders. In CA remember that predators cannot live within 2,000 feet of a school or park. I live in Lancaster, and periodically check the Megan's law website to keep track of who is living around me. There is not a sex offender living very close, but even so, it is important to always be careful of where you let your kids go.

Time and time again, sex offenders commit crimes with family members, remember this! This is disgusting, but sadly true. This happens everywhere.

Regardless of what ignorant comments are said about Lancaster, Lancaster is not a whole lot different than your average city. I checked out the "facts", and Lancaster still has quite a few less offenders than quite a few cities in CA.

I live here because I love it, and want to live here and raise my kids here. It is a great community! Is it perfect, no, but remember that no place is! Every place has its issues. I can spend far more time talking about the things I love about this area, than the things that bother me. Are there things that bother me about this area, yes, and this issue does. But the positive aspects of this community far outweigh the bad.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM

49 posts, read 159,034 times
I remember my friend got a job as an apartment manager in a nice looking building in Palmdale, so i had to help him move from LA. I spent 2 nights with him. When we got there i could not believe my eyes. All i seen was thugs walking down the streets. baskets on the corners. I had to go to the liquor store and check cashing place but i was to afraid because there was gangsters all over the place. I even seen a Superior market under construction. The building he was in I believe was on 10 Street East but i could be mistaking, near Palmdale Blvd. After 2 weeks he quit because they sold drugs in front of the building and continued to play loud music and hang till 3am in the morning. Most were section 8 or low income tenants. They threatened to beat him up if he didn't "Mind his own business". The Sheriffs were constantly roaming the streets, i thought i was in a prison of some sort. I'm glad he got out of there and i don't plan on ever going back there.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gdd View Post
I remember my friend got a job as an apartment manager in a nice looking building in Palmdale, so i had to help him move from LA. I spent 2 nights with him. When we got there i could not believe my eyes. All i seen was thugs walking down the streets. baskets on the corners. I had to go to the liquor store and check cashing place but i was to afraid because there was gangsters all over the place. I even seen a Superior market under construction. The building he was in I believe was on 10 Street East but i could be mistaking, near Palmdale Blvd. After 2 weeks he quit because they sold drugs in front of the building and continued to play loud music and hang till 3am in the morning. Most were section 8 or low income tenants. They threatened to beat him up if he didn't "Mind his own business". The Sheriffs were constantly roaming the streets, i thought i was in a prison of some sort. I'm glad he got out of there and i don't plan on ever going back there.

You stayed in the worst part of the Antelope Valley. Remember that Lancaster and Palmdale together make up over 200 square miles and a population of over 350,000 people. The entire San Fernando Valley is 260 square miles. Any time you are in a place that big you will have nice areas and not so nice areas. You cannot judge an entire area based on a section of it.

That would be like saying all the San Fernando Valley is crappy. Sure, you have terrible cities like Reseda, Van Nuys, Sylmar, San Fernando, etc. But you also have nice areas like West Hills, Hidden Hills and Calabasas. be careful not to make a judgment too hastily before checking it all out.

Like it has been said before generally the nice areas are west of 20th st. W and in the zip codes 93536 and 93551.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM

484 posts, read 1,363,420 times
I sometimes wonder if the East part of Palmdale is better now. I lived on 5th St East at least ten years ago. It was a cheap apartment and the area was not very good. It was convenient since it was practically across the street from Valarta so it was easy to get groceries without having had a car for one of the three years that I lived there. There definitely was a Sheriff presence just before I moved out. The building I was in, was half thug and half good people. I made some good friends there that I'm still in touch with.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 AM

11 posts, read 35,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakin View Post
...Harrier, unless you has children of your own you wouldn't understand the feeling of having a child molester living next to you...
What about if you have grandchildren, a niece/nephew or friends with children over?

I know they have to be let out sometime, but if they can't take the stigma that comes with being a "short-eye", tough luck, they should have behaved in the first place.

That's another thing I noticed about this community, last time I checked there were 12 sex offenders within 10 miles of my house, and most didn't attack children.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 AM

11 posts, read 35,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterisAwesome View Post

"...You cannot judge an entire area based on a section of it..."
You damn well better, especially if you're going to be owning property there. Think about it, "bad areas" have this nasty habit of moving around and/or growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles