Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PChee1 View Post
now i have a new problem

since im moving from out of state I have no employer information or proof of employment and thats becoming a problem

i plan on working of course but i cant get a job here until i live here

i have plenty of money in savings to cover rent for 5 or 6 months so I know i'll be okay but how do I convince the properties?

Keep asking until someone says yes. They may require an additional month's rent to hold as deposit. My sister just married a guy from Ohio and they had the same problem but just picked up their keys this morning. No additional deposit AND dirt cheap rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
Yep, we didn't have jobs either. Just enough in the bank to cover expenses for awhile. It was no problem.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM

9 posts, read 45,550 times
Default help!!!!

so im officially on the verge of freaking out now ......

ive been in la since sunday and have only seen a total of five apartments
i kid you not ive called a good 100, NO ONE EVER ANSWERS OR RETURNS MY CALLS

ive used westsiderentals.com, apartmentguide.com, craigslist.com, forrent.com
ive browsed newspapers and apartment guides from streets
ive walked up and down roads for miles calling every apt that has a vacancy, for rent or leasing sign

im sunburnt, my feet have matching blisters, im exhasted, and ive wasted over $400 on cab fees

i was supposed to fly back tomorrow morning but ive extended my trip a few more days (for a lot more money)

anyone have any more suggestions??? im getting desperate, i have to find something, and soon!!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChee1 View Post

so im officially on the verge of freaking out now ......

ive been in la since sunday and have only seen a total of five apartments
i kid you not ive called a good 100, NO ONE EVER ANSWERS OR RETURNS MY CALLS

ive used westsiderentals.com, apartmentguide.com, craigslist.com, forrent.com
ive browsed newspapers and apartment guides from streets
ive walked up and down roads for miles calling every apt that has a vacancy, for rent or leasing sign

im sunburnt, my feet have matching blisters, im exhasted, and ive wasted over $400 on cab fees

i was supposed to fly back tomorrow morning but ive extended my trip a few more days (for a lot more money)

anyone have any more suggestions??? im getting desperate, i have to find something, and soon!!
Why didn't you rent a car? Much cheaper in the long run not to mention the freedom? There are real estate agencies that specialize in rentals too. I would stay in the North Hollywood,Studio City,Sherman Oaks area. Plenty of apt in all places. Are you looking at apts that have signs posted that have rentals? Have you looked into sharing apts or renting a room from a homeowner until you get your bearings and can take the time to find the right place. This could be your best bet. I know how daunting a task it can be to move cross country. I have done it three times, from Ca. to Va. to Boston and back again and have found everything on the Internet, either through Craigslist or Rent.com or Realtor.com. Good luck to you and remember to breath. Oh, does the Institute have postings for roomates?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM

I didnt want to rent a car because I dont know my way around in the least bit. For me finding properites doesnt seem to be the problem, its getting ahold of someone to view the properties. My school provided me with a housing guide and I called every one of the apartments in it I could afford and either didnt get an answer or there were no vacancies. Living with someone I dont know isnt really something I could handle well

Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
You should just live in Hollywood near your school. There are tons of young poeple there like you who are actors and muscians, etc. Also, plenty of places to work as a waitress too. Why live out in the suburbs and risk waisting time in traffic everyday to get from here to there? You are setting yourself up for a miserable existence living so far from school. You really should talk to the school and to other students for neighborhood and building recommendations in Hollywood or in areas close by like Los Feliz, Silverlake, Miracle Mile, and the Fairfax District. Also, I highly recommend that you rent a car right away!!! Trying to find a place to live in LA on foot and by cab is very impractical.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,808 times
studio city, valley village, burbank or sherman oaks is good.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
My sister said she got tons of calls back AFTER she signed the lease to her place. She moves in tomorrow. Small 1 bedroom house with a garage and a yard in Pasadena for 950 a month and their credit is crap. Now she can start gardening and she can walk to Old Pas. (Yes, I helped her find it).

Keep at it, the not calling back part is the most frustrating. It took my sister a month to find a place. My suggestion is to pick one area and concentrate there instead of looking all over the place.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM

Default yay!!

I found a place I really liked Saturday evening before I flew home Sunday morning and he called today and said I got the place!! It's very nice and spacious, lots of light, and seems to be in a good area. Plus they plan on redoing the counter tops this year so I got $200 a month knocked off my rent. The manager told me the place is mostly occupied by film and music oriented people and its within walking distance to my school!

Thanks everyone for all the help on here!!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Congratuations! You will be better off being near your school, at least initially. Once you get to know LA better you can branch out to other areas if you end up not liking Hollywood. But most young people I know who are artists LOVE Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles