Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

If you're considering Diamond Bar and Fullerton, I would also add Brea to the list as it's a very nice community with a good downtown area. It would add a few minutes to the Long Beach commute from Fullerton, but would be less than Diamond Bar to Long Beach. If you found something in the city that you liked, it might be worth the extra commute, though communities along the 605 would make for an easier Long Beach commute.

I would not worry too much about the Ontario commute as someone I used to work with lived in Calabasas and would have to drive to a data center in Corona a few days a week. Once past the LA traffic, the commute east was easy for him. And, I have never had an issue when I have flown out of Ontario in the morning, either from the Westside or from Irvine, though I did have an issue with the crazy travel agent who believed that Ontario was a viable alternative to LAX for me.

I stayed in Brea at a corporate apartment for a few weeks, and found the community to be very livable, such that it might be worth a few extra minutes if you found a house/apartment there that you liked.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 AM

244 posts, read 333,076 times
Glendora? Is it because reverse traffic?
Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
You guys will be driving on the 10, 60, and 605 quite a lot.

If you two have regular 9AM-5PM type jobs, then the Ontario person won't be stuck in traffic, but the Long Beach person will.

I would actually suggest something like San Gabriel, Rosemead, or El Monte. Those areas have easy access to the 10, 60, and the 605--even the 710. Those areas are just west of the 605--which gives the Long Beach person a short break from the traffic.

With Hacienda Heights, the Long Beach person will have to drive on the 60 during rush hours... it's _merciless_.
Oh my goodness. 60 during rush hour does sound horrifying....

I live in Fountain Valley and going straight up 405N to Long Beach, the supposedly 16 mile drive, takes me 45 minutes at least, 60 with bad accidents like this morning.. ;_;

Is 60 worse than 405?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL, it's all good. Covina might be a little out of the way for the Long Beach one too.

Here's what I'm thinking, maybe somewhere in the blue circle:

Thank you. LOL I stared at the maps for hours on Friday afternoon the same way and came up with Hacienda Heights. I didn't really look at the Brea option.

Bf has an early shift like 6AM-4PM, so I don't think it will be a problem for him.... It is going to SUCK for me. XD I guess few extra miles just won't matter at that point.. ;_;

Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you're considering Diamond Bar and Fullerton, I would also add Brea to the list as it's a very nice community with a good downtown area. It would add a few minutes to the Long Beach commute from Fullerton, but would be less than Diamond Bar to Long Beach. If you found something in the city that you liked, it might be worth the extra commute, though communities along the 605 would make for an easier Long Beach commute.

I would not worry too much about the Ontario commute as someone I used to work with lived in Calabasas and would have to drive to a data center in Corona a few days a week. Once past the LA traffic, the commute east was easy for him. And, I have never had an issue when I have flown out of Ontario in the morning, either from the Westside or from Irvine, though I did have an issue with the crazy travel agent who believed that Ontario was a viable alternative to LAX for me.

I stayed in Brea at a corporate apartment for a few weeks, and found the community to be very livable, such that it might be worth a few extra minutes if you found a house/apartment there that you liked.
Thank you for your input. That helps a lot. I will look into Brea. Bf has an early shift, but I have 8-5 normal shift with an ex-military boss who is really strict about time.. ;_; sucks for me. I'm already having enough of a hard time between Fountain Valley - Long Beach now. 405 is just hell. I don't imagine 605 is any better.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM

I haven't considered Riverside. Which par of LA County did you work at if you don't mind telling? I know Riverside - Ontario would be a breeze but not sure how Riverside - Long Beach would be like.... Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,599,905 times
Riverside to Long Beach would be hell.
Fullerton or Brea would be my first choices. It's a reasonable commute for the both of you and depending on location of the city, theres plenty of entertainment/shopping amenities. Downtown area in both cities are great although Fullerton has a more college town vibe/atmosphere.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Riverside to Long Beach would be hell.
Fullerton or Brea would be my first choices. It's a reasonable commute for the both of you and depending on location of the city, theres plenty of entertainment/shopping amenities. Downtown area in both cities are great although Fullerton has a more college town vibe/atmosphere.
I just looked at the map and yes, Riverside - Long Beach is unfortunately out of question.. I'm thinking Fullerton or Brea, or La Habra. Do you happen to know about pet restriction trends in those areas? My dog is medium size at under between 30-40lbs, and the reason why I chose my current apt in Fountain Valley is because they accepted dogs her weight.. I am not moving where she won't be accepted. A Dog's Life. :\

Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,599,905 times
La Habra is a hit or miss, but closer to Imperial Hwy/Beach blvd is a good area.

I'm not really familiar with pet restrictions regarding apts in the area though. I grew up in the Fullerton area until after college but now am renting out in LA.

I completely understand your dog situation. I could never move to an apt where my dog won't be accepted either.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei_h View Post
Glendora? Is it because reverse traffic?
Thanks.
It's a long drive to Long Beach.

I'm originally from "the western part of Riverside", and going to Long Beach was like going on a road trip, if you catch my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles