Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM

377 posts, read 527,053 times

Advertisements

people in LA have this notion that they are somehow special and to be afforded special treatment so they throw their trash anywhere because they think it's somebody else's job to clean that up, and it doesn't matter how far down the totem pole they actually are, they all think their VIPs because they live in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,070,945 times
I think the trash phenomenon is caused by a mix of the following factors:

A poor upbringing;
A large tenant population that doesn't care about property values (some low income homeowners appear to litter too);
A party atmosphere that cares only about the moment (younger people);
A throw away culture where what people consume is disposable; and/or
People growing up in an atmosphere where they saw other people littering and it was acceptable.

Littering, however, is NOT CAUSED BY RESIDENTS BEING POOR alone.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,320,383 times
I see this quite a bit and it bothers me. There is always random trash in front of my house. I remember when I moved in and I saw one of the neighbors (a teenager) just through a fast food soda cup on my lawn.

I don't get the mentality.

I think it's frustrating too especially since housing prices are so high...I guess you expect things to be cleaner. Also my street doesn't have street cleaning..but that wouldn't help the stuff on the sidewalk anyways.

One time I saw a dead dog on the sidewalk in a bag.. pretty bad. I called the city and lucky they did pick it up.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,780,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think the trash phenomenon is caused by a mix of the following factors:

A poor upbringing;
A large tenant population that doesn't care about property values (some low income homeowners appear to litter too);
A party atmosphere that cares only about the moment (younger people);
A throw away culture where what people consume is disposable; and/or
People growing up in an atmosphere where they saw other people littering and it was acceptable.

Littering, however, is NOT CAUSED BY RESIDENTS BEING POOR alone.
At my last apartment this was the biggest cause of littering. My new apartment has an older residential population (and the college kids that we do have go to Cal Tech and instead of Musician's Institute at the last apartment) and the common areas are much cleaner.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 PM

401 posts, read 764,648 times
Here's today's installment...
The person had to actually bend down to stuff the bag in the pole.. much more effort than simply throwing it on the ground. I just don't get it. It's like those people who take the time to bag their dog poop.. but then leave it there.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM

377 posts, read 527,053 times
this just goes to show the lack of civic pride on the part of Angelenos, when people are not proud of their city, they trash it. The city government should take steps like other world class cities around the world where the inhabitants actually care about their city and keep it clean and presentable

Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,187,416 times
I notice in many areas it's the kids that are trashing the area. Especially middle and high school kids. They throw their snack bags everywhere but the trash.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,279,994 times
And the trash gets very bad on the metro busses also. I see Beer Bottles and Sunflower covers all over the place on the back of MTA buses.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,070,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I notice in many areas it's the kids that are trashing the area. Especially middle and high school kids. They throw their snack bags everywhere but the trash.
All of those thrown-out-of-the-window In-n-Out wrappers, ketchup, drinks, etc. - yeah - I have noticed that it is teenagers. And what is up with Coffee cups? They can afford to buy a 3 dollar coffee but can't find a trash can? That tells me that they have no fear of authority. Maybe we should send those kids to Singapore.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM

401 posts, read 764,648 times
Here's today's installment of Angeleno's creative trash disposal methods. It's apparent that much though and care is put into some of these trash installations.

Don't throw that coffee cup away to the landfill. Wedge it in a tree as an urban bird feeder. Add a brightly colored candy wrapper to attract the bird's attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles