Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM

27 posts, read 90,750 times

Advertisements

Who here is from Philadelphia/NJ/DE area. I know there are a lot of Philly transplants in the LA area.

So how was your experience moving cross country?

What's LA like compared to Philly?

Im looking at a place Pasadena and will be working in Santa Monica.

Just tell me whatever you can. I'm very interested in hearing your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,357,471 times
Not from Philly, but that's a hell of long commute you're looking at there.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,583,996 times
Pasadena-Santa Monica commute? You're going to hate LA within a month and wish you never left Philly.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,896,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post
Who here is from Philadelphia/NJ/DE area. I know there are a lot of Philly transplants in the LA area.

So how was your experience moving cross country?

What's LA like compared to Philly?

Im looking at a place Pasadena and will be working in Santa Monica.

Just tell me whatever you can. I'm very interested in hearing your experiences.
I've been to Philly many times so I can elaborate. Philly is a complete 180 from LA. Philly is a far smaller, more compact industrial city. LA is way way way larger in land area and is more evenly spread out in terms of population density. People describe LA as complete urban sprawl. If you look at census data, in many parts of LA and the surrounding area, the density is relatively uniform between 7-10K people per square mile including many suburbs.

LA is more expensive. LA has way better weather. LA has a better landscape. People are friendlier and more worldly. In Philly, people know Philly or their own neighborhood. In LA, people are more familiar with other neighborhoods, cultures, and world events.

Your commute from Pasadena to Santa Monica will be 2 hours + each way. Would suggest living somewhere closer. What is your budget and desires?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM

27 posts, read 90,750 times
[quote=nowincal11;21032601]I've been to Philly many times so I can elaborate. Philly is a complete 180 from LA. Philly is a far smaller, more compact industrial city. LA is way way way larger in land area and is more evenly spread out in terms of population density. People describe LA as complete urban sprawl. If you look at census data, in many parts of LA and the surrounding area, the density is relatively uniform between 7-10K people per square mile including many suburbs.

LA is more expensive. LA has way better weather. LA has a better landscape. People are friendlier and more worldly. In Philly, people know Philly or their own neighborhood. In LA, people are more familiar with other neighborhoods, cultures, and world events.

Your commute from Pasadena to Santa Monica will be 2 hours + each way. Would suggest living somewhere closer. What is your budget and desires?[/QUOTE]

2 hrs?? each way that's 4 hrs a day. wow I didn't know it would take that long. I can do 2 hrs a day meaning 1 hr each way but what you all are telling me is pushing it.

$900-$1350 a mth for a studio or 1br is my budget.

My desires are somewhere that has walkability since I'm an east coast girl. Schools are a non factor because I'm single. Close to shopping centers for groceries, etc.. regular amenities I guess.

I would love to live on the beach but my budget won't allow for it at this time.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 PM

611 posts, read 1,583,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post

2 hrs?? each way that's 4 hrs a day. wow I didn't know it would take that long. I can do 2 hrs a day meaning 1 hr each way but what you all are telling me is pushing it.

$900-$1350 a mth for a studio or 1br is my budget.

My desires are somewhere that has walkability since I'm an east coast girl. Schools are a non factor because I'm single. Close to shopping centers for groceries, etc.. regular amenities I guess.

I would love to live on the beach but my budget won't allow for it at this time.
You can find a decent/good studio or 1 bedroom apartment for that price in West Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Fairfax district, and Hollywood. Your commute time would be considerably less (under 1hr) each way, have great walkability and close to many amenities.

You would be much closer to the beach as well compared to Pasadena. Pasadena is just a bad idea if you're going to be working in SM.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,832,048 times
If you do Pasadena to SM, that's 110 freeway to Downtown LA to 10 freeway. The 110 section is going to be fast for the most part, but it will get jammed up in Downtown LA.

The 10 section--pack a lunch, you will be eating it on the way to work.

Repeat again for the afternoon rush.

Back in college, I used to do Culver City (work) to Cal Poly Pomona (school) everyday. Very traumatizing.

Speaking of which, take a look at Culver City--it's a good central location with OK walkability. Might be a bit more affordable than Hollywood or WeHo.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,386,264 times
Shot i'd look into Marina Del Rey. You could get a nice studio in your price range in that town!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,306,565 times
Southern California is the Transplant Capital of America

Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM

755 posts, read 671,529 times
I use to drive from Pasadena to UCLA back in the day.

The best route is the 210W to the 134W to the 101N, exit Woodman make a left, make a right on Ventura to Beverly Glen, then make a left on Beverly Glen (over the hill and through the woods, lol), right on Sunset and a left on Hilgard, a right on Le Conte, then a left on Westwood to Olympic or Santa Monic, depends on where you are going; or take the first left past UCLA (I can't remeber the street?!) then a right on Gayley, take Gayley to Montana, then make a left and Montanta it will take you to Santa Monica. It will take an 1 hr 1/2....at worst.

Ahhh the good old days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles