Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That's been my observation. There's probably nothing that could absolutely prove this.

1. There is no Brazilian race. Brazil is a majority white but multiracial country like the US, although less hypocritical when it came to interracial mixing traditionally. The US has made progress on getting rid of the "one drop" nonsense and accepting mixed race people in recent years but there's still catching up to do.

2. 90 percent of half-Asian/half-white peand neighbors, have said that they have been assumed to be Latino, inople in L.A. whom I talked to, including former girlfriends, close friends, cluding by Latinos themselves. Of course Latino is not a race either. However, half-Asian/half-white people would literally be "mestizos". You lived in Pacific Palisades, northern Santa Monica, and West Hollywood, which are amongst the least Latino places in L.A. County. If you lived in the Valley, Northeast or East LA, or for that matter the Pico neighborhood of Santa Monica you'd probably be thought to be Latino, too . I have observed these phenomena over the years.

3. Pinoys are Asians. And this is a proven fact. Not an observation.
1. Who cares - there's still a Brazilian look.

2. No. Nobody has ever thought I look Latino. I don't look Latino in the slightest. You are basing this off anecdotal evidence where half asians you know say they are pegged as Latino. Yeah, some are, but not most, not all.

3. I know. But a lot of Pinoys like to claim some sort of mixed ancestry, and a few may actually be mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:31 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
At the risk of sounding racist: half-white/half-Asian people whose mother is white have a tendency to look more "white". However, the offspring of Asian male/white female couples are not as common as the offspring of white male/Asian female couples. Also, half-white/half-pinoy people look more white.
Actually, that sounds more ignorant than "racist." People that have similar genotypes can have different phenotypes. For instance, siblings that have the same parents can have different hair colors, eye colors, body morphologies, etc. Next, we have the issue of "dominant vs. recessive" genes. Some genes (like the ones for brown eyes and dark hair) are dominant, while others are recessive. There's virtually no correlation between the gender of a person's parent and the phenotypical expression of a dominant or recessive gene -- it's simply "luck of the draw." For example, consider the offspring of Jon and Kate Gosselin. Jon Gosselin's mother is a Korean American from Hawai'i and his father is of French, Irish, and Welsh descent. Kate Gosselin is of "Pennsylvania Dutch" descent. However, Jon and Kate's eight offspring don't necessarily look "white", despite being only a quarter "Asian."
Kate Plus 8 Slideshow

When it comes to racism, there's an underlying assumption that there's such a thing as a "pure race." As for the racial classifications used in the United States, there is often more diversity within a particular "race" than there are differences between "races." "Asians/American Americans" can include folks from the Aeta of the Philippines to Kazakhs of Russia, "Whites/European Americans" can include folks from the Kazakhs of Russia to the Afrikaners of South Africa, "Blacks/African Americans" can include folks from the Afrikaners of South Africa to the Aeta of the Philippines, and so on. If an Aeta from the Philippines has a child with a Kazakh from Russia, it might be a bit of a stretch to say that child is going to look "white."

Quote:
Most half-white/half-Asian types are commonly assumed to be Latino/a.

Half-white/half-Latino people of whatever background identify as Latino/a.

Half-black/half-Asian people usually identify as black.
That's debatable...

Old 10-01-2011, 04:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
^Interesting. Kate's kids look totally hapa, despite only being a quarter asian. I guess Jon must have some strong genes!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 AM

61 posts, read 227,764 times
I go crazy for Hapa chicks. I don't know why!?

I dated vietnamese/white and japanese/white...

Old 10-02-2011, 12:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
a lot of half asians in LA I've encountered have white fathers who were either in the service and met their wives near the base in the foreign country they were stationed at, or they were lonely old white guys who back in the day met their wives through some mail dating service from either thailand or the philippines, or nowadays thorough some internet dating service

Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I was recently traveling with a guy who was half white/half Indian and another who was half white/half Japanese. I really couldn't place their origin....for some reason I was thinking they both could possibly be Hebrew speakers with Israeli roots. As I got to know them both, I learned they were half asian/half white.

My son is also half white/half asian. All the Asian people think he looks like me (white), and caucasian people think he looks like my wife........lol

Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

2. No. Nobody has ever thought I look Latino. I don't look Latino in the slightest. You are basing this off anecdotal evidence where half asians you know say they are pegged as Latino. Yeah, some are, but not most, not all.
If you grew up in North Hollywood rather than Pacific Palisades, you probably would have heard that comparison. Or for that matter if you grew up in Venice.

And it's not just people I've known. Many "hapas" are thought to be Latino/a.
Mexican | Hapa Voice

BTW, no offense intended. Remember, I'm mixed myself, given that I have Rom in me.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 AM

313 posts, read 778,654 times

In a few years she will be in her twenties.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
No evidence to back up that half asians with white mothers look more white. I've seen all kinds of looks from all kinds of mothers and fathers. There's also a significance difference in appearence from my siblings

Also no evidence to back up that half white/asians are assumed to be latino, and half black/asians identify as black. No one has ever called me or some of the other half asians I know latino. I know a few have been mistaken for brazilian, middle eastern, pinoy, or just plain white.

Anyway to the OP: There are probably more half asians in so cal than north. But that's anecdotal and could be incorrect.
You would have to be more specific then that. Someone half Korean half English would look considerably different from someone half Filipino half Greek or half Cambodian and half French.

CaliPoppy is right about where you would find them. Garden Grove ( OC) has more half SE Asians, Carson more half Filipino and Pacific Islander, Southbay half Japanese and other Asian and North Orange County ( yes it's the next County over) probably more half Korean Americans.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
1. Who cares - there's still a Brazilian look.
Maybe in the sense that there are a lot of Brazilians who kinda sorta have a distinctive appearance..........as in if you go to a Brazilian Carnaval anywhere in LA you might - might - be able to tell the Brazilians from non-Brazilians.

Then you run into Brazilians who don't look like that, and you're back at square one.

Saying that there's a "Brazilian look" makes about as much sense as saying there's an "American look."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles