Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,813,890 times

Advertisements

Of course I lock my doors. But I also lived right next to that area for two years and drove through it all the time (still do now and then) and have never seen any criminal activity, especially directed toward motorists, or felt threatened. I base my opinions on personal experience and I think I made it clear that if the OP wants to avoid that area, she should. She asked a question, I answered it. Sorry if you didn't like my response. Thanks for playing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,947,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Jackie, I remember reading some of your posts before. It seems like the safety of the areas in which you drive is vitally important to you. Therefore, I can see how navigating in So Cal could make you a nervous wreck. By all means, if driving down certain streets scares you, steer clear (literally!). But if you have the idea that drivers in these areas are being accosted and dragged from their cars at every corner while waiting for a red light, you are mistaken.
Ummm.. No. Safety is not "vitally" important to me. I actually hate the "safe" areas of OC like Irvine etc. That's why I'm moving to L.A I like a bit of danger. However Santa Monica Blvd is SUPER GHETTO in some areas. I've never felt unsafe driving through Santa Ana or Costa Mesa, even in the more ghetto areas. On SM Blvd there is an area where I felt like I was in a third world country. It's just that I looked at La Homicides on the LA times and it looks like SM Blvd is a warzone ; for the past 4 years or so tons of people got shot in those areas.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
And you don't like curvy roads.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Ummm.. No. Safety is not "vitally" important to me. I actually hate the "safe" areas of OC like Irvine etc. That's why I'm moving to L.A I like a bit of danger. However Santa Monica Blvd is SUPER GHETTO in some areas. I've never felt unsafe driving through Santa Ana or Costa Mesa, even in the more ghetto areas. On SM Blvd there is an area where I felt like I was in a third world country. It's just that I looked at La Homicides on the LA times and it looks like SM Blvd is a warzone ; for the past 4 years or so tons of people got shot in those areas.
People driving through don't get shot around there for no reason. You're being overtly paranoid. It is not Watts or Compton.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
People driving through don't get shot around there for no reason. You're being overtly paranoid. It is not Watts or Compton.
I have read abut people driving through certain neighborhoods (getting lost) and getting shot for no reason. Not necessarily in SM Blvd but other areas. If you read homicides on La Times, there are many cases of people who are not gang related but just get shot driving on the freeway or sitting in their car in a parking lot or biking (I don't bike so not a problem for me). I'm just saying it does happen. People also get killed from car jackings all the time.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I have read abut people driving through certain neighborhoods (getting lost) and getting shot for no reason. Not necessarily in SM Blvd but other areas. If you read homicides on La Times, there are many cases of people who are not gang related but just get shot driving on the freeway or sitting in their car in a parking lot or biking (I don't bike so not a problem for me). I'm just saying it does happen. People also get killed from car jackings all the time.
There are neighborhoods like that. East Hollywood is not one of them. That is a better description of Watts, South Central, Compton, etc.

Freeway shootings when they happen have practically nothing to do with the neighborhoods the freeways pass through.

People sitting in their car in a parking lot in East Hollywood and Koreatown who get shot are usually involved in drug or prostitution activity on the streets. Carjackings in that neighborhood are usually directly related to drug activity. If you are not buying or selling drugs on the street in that neighborhood you have practically nothing to worry about driving through. That doesn't mean that area's safe to walk around at 2 AM. But driving through there is no problem.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There are neighborhoods like that. East Hollywood is not one of them. That is a better description of Watts, South Central, Compton, etc.

Freeway shootings when they happen have practically nothing to do with the neighborhoods the freeways pass through.

People sitting in their car in a parking lot in East Hollywood and Koreatown who get shot are usually involved in drug or prostitution activity on the streets. Carjackings in that neighborhood are usually directly related to drug activity. If you are not buying or selling drugs on the street in that neighborhood you have practically nothing to worry about driving through. That doesn't mean that area's safe to walk around at 2 AM. But driving through there is no problem.
No, I've read about people who are not buying drugs who get car jacked randomly like at a red light. That has happened in OC before too, not just La but more in La I'm sure. The sitting in the car and getting shot is not always drug or prostitution related; some of the cases that I read about on that homicides Latimes page seems totally random.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...54l154l0.1l1l0

Zoom here towards the Hollywood area near 101. Lots of murders on Melrose, SM Blvd and actually Hollywood Blvd too. That whole area is bad http://projects.latimes.com/homicide...year=All+years

I am so lucky that my new apt is in W Ho and not Hollywood. Hollywood just seems like a horrible area.

Last edited by jackie100; 10-09-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
if East Hollywood is "SUPER GHETTO" as you mentioned so eloquently, you better never leave west hollywood. venice and washington blvds through mid-city are also pretty run down, do you avoid them as well? if so, how will you access the 10 freeway?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,276,184 times
You have a much better chance of dying in a car wreck in a nice area than you do getting shot randomly in your car in a sketchy area.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,969,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if East Hollywood is "SUPER GHETTO" as you mentioned so eloquently, you better never leave west hollywood. venice and washington blvds through mid-city are also pretty run down, do you avoid them as well? if so, how will you access the 10 freeway?
I have to agree with BRinSM. You are being overly paranoid.

I've driven that area TONS of times with the windows down even. Never had even a hint of trouble.

If you don't like the area then by all means avoid it but make no mistake about it, the real problem lies in your head, not the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles