Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 14,525 times

Advertisements

Alright Folks

I am a 32 year old man from Edinburgh, Scotland and have been thinking of moving to Los Angeles to live and work. I have some cash saved and I'm currently employed but moving to America is something I have wanted to do for ages and I feel that now is the right time for me. The thing is I am unsure the best way to go about getting a work visa, job, place to live etc....

Can anyone give me some advice please?

Cheers...JAMBO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM

132 posts, read 364,381 times
What kind of work do you do? You'd need the job to get a visa, and unless you are in some field that is in demand in the United States, you're not going to get someone to give you one and sponsor you for the visa. Even if you are in an in-demand field, it's not easy to get hired, it's a big hassle for employers, or even when it's not, they perceive it as one unless they are a company that do that sort of thing a lot. A lot of the foreign people who go to the U.S. for good jobs get transferred there by the companies they work for.

You might want to consider going for an extended visit instead.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
Jambo, thousands of Americans can't find work. What do you do for work/profession? No offense, but what makes you more employable?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 AM

Alright folks...

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid that i am no doctor or that. I have been working in the logistics department for a computer company for the past 9 years. I understand that it will be very difficult to achieve what i would like to do.

No offence taken pal. I don't think i am any more or less suitable for work than any unemployed american.

This is something i am deadly serious about. If you have anymore advice for me i would more than appreciate it peeps?

Cheers again.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The advice - you need a visa as the first step. No visa, no work.

The most common visa for work is an H1B. To get one you need to have a skill or knowledge that is in short supply relative to the general working population. Less common is an L1. For that, you would have to get work in the UK then convince your employer to station you at a facility they have in LA. So obviously that narrows it down a bit, since the number of employers meeting that criterion who let alone would want to transfer you stateside is limited.

From my experience, the people from the UK who end up working here are techies (or anoraks, as you might refer to them in the colloquial sense).

Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
well, if you look like Gerard Butler, maybe you could marry some nice American girl and a get a green card through her, only takes a few years that way. However, if you look like another famous Scot, Fat Bastard, it might take a wee bit longer

Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 AM

Thanks again for the advice peeps.

Loving the "fat bastard" post. lmao. I am no Gerard Butler nor am I a fat bastard thank you. Like to think I'm more Butler than Bastard tho. lol.

Not looking to promising then eh!! I have been reading about getting sponsored and that this could be an option. Does anyone have an opinion on this method? Would it be a waste of my time to write to companies about this?.

Cheers again folks!!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Have you been to L.A.? If so, for how long and where?

First priorities: visa and job offer. You may need the offer before you get the visa. I'd check with a job placement service (government or private), and talk with your university (if you are or were at one), and read up on work visas. Maybe talk with the U.S. Embassy or immigration attorney about visas. You don't give details on your skills, or why L.A. (a term many use to mean all of Southern California, not just the City of Los Angeles or even the larger County of Los Angeles). I would most definitely plan on an extended exploratory trip for a look around (see if it's what you expected), talk to a variety of people (maybe even to potential employers you've contacted in advance, though obviously you'd not be able to yet work, if you're on a tourist visa). Maybe even the British Consulate. There may be Scottish, or at least British, ex-pat organizations in the area that could give you some tips. Depending on your skills, your chances (if any) for a job may be better in other places in California or in other states.

Last edited by Samoi137; 10-14-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 29,734 times
The internet has made testing out long distance dreams easier.

I would start sending out resumes online, going on job boards daily FROM SCOTLAND. Gage the response you get, and if you are getting some good response when they know you're not a U.S Citizen then that is a good sign, they may be willing to sponsor you etc.

If you are not getting any replies (which is very possible) then you just saved yourself a lot of money and heartache.

That should be your first step.

And I agree with others, it is extremely difficult for locals to get work, L.A has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state (country).

If you are in the tech field, try out San Jose, it is slightly better up there with jobs. The big BIG companies are there... Apple, Microsoft, Google etc.

Good Luck;-)

Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
[quote=zengirl888;21283823]I would start sending out resumes online, going on job boards daily FROM If you are in the tech field, try out San Jose, it is slightly better up there with jobs. The big BIG companies are there... Apple, Microsoft, Google etc.

Isn't Yahoo in Burbank? Maybe they're not that hot right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles