Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM

28 posts, read 48,096 times

Advertisements

We move from Germany to LA next summer and normally our daughter must start with college then. (She's 17 then). But her English is not good enough for college we think. An American told us that there are special schools you can visit and they prepare you for college in one year. Can you tell me more about this schools and how can I find them in Internet ?
My daughter is pretty good in English but she has to pass the TOEFL test at first before she can apply for a college. And the test is not easy .
So I think one year in a 'preparation' school is not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,284,792 times
How about something like this? Intensive English in Boston and Los Angeles

Community colleges also offer English classes.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,179,055 times
She is taking English now? What's her proficiency level? You're moving in the summer of 2012? Many schools, especially colleges, in the U.S. and in Canada have intensive English institutes, especially during the summer, which wouldn't be of much help until you arrive in the U.S. No program can guarantee being ready in a year, but there are many that will help.

I'd contact: 1) Universities in Germany, especially their office dealing with international students (about intensive seminars, etc. either in Germany or in the U.S.); 2) nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or Fulbright Institute, which should have an office with info on English studies (including locally) and exchange programs (i.e., they'd know about institutes in the U.S.); 3) the German Consulate General and Goethe Institute in Los Angeles, not because they'd be involved directly with English studies but because they may have heard of schools, seminars, etc. in the area; 4) Universities, state colleges, etc. in the exact area you plan on living in, for info on any intensive English institutes they have. For example, in L.A., California State University Los Angeles (or Northridge or Dominguez Hills), UCLA, etc. Of course, if she can go away for the summer you could look for institutes around the country and even in Canada.

I'm in Brazil right now and there are private programs especially geared towards the TOEFL test. There are also lots of language schools in the U.S. with the same thing in mind. There are also self-study programs, such as Rosetta Stone.

You don't mention budget, but I'd certainly consider a private school (evenings, weekends) or tutor to start studying now. Time is short.

Last edited by Samoi137; 10-15-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,752,778 times
Any California Community College will have classes for people like her(though they're probably mostly geared towards people who are Spanish-primary language). One problem you will encounter, though, is that any state run college will be very expensive for the first year because you need to live here 1 year to gain the residency requirement for the in-state pricing.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,696,887 times
Have you tried Craig's List? It is international in scope, so you may even find something that you need in Germany.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM

Thank you for your help .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Any California Community College will have classes for people like her(though they're probably mostly geared towards people who are Spanish-primary language). One problem you will encounter, though, is that any state run college will be very expensive for the first year because you need to live here 1 year to gain the residency requirement for the in-state pricing.
Do I understand this right ? At first she has to wait 1 year before she can go to a public or private college ?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,752,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colognegirl View Post
Thank you for your help .

Do I understand this right ? At first she has to wait 1 year before she can go to a public or private college ?
No, public colleges in California have in-state and out-of-state tuition rates. In-state is far cheaper, but has a 1 year residency requirement.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Ok,thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,606 times
I'm a U.S. native so I have no personal experience with the TOEFL. However, my impression from interacting with international graduate students is that passing the TOEFL doesn't necessarily ensure English proficiency. Most European students had very good English skills but many Asian students had a generally lower level of fluency, even though all had to pass the TOEFL. The Asian students were able to read textbooks and dense journal articles but had more difficulty with conversation and writing. My impression of European students is probably skewed since I've only seen students who were accepted by U.S. schools. From my very limited experience, German, French, Swiss and Scandinavian students tended to have very good English. Maybe the TOEFL will not be as difficult as you think?

I think the passing score is determined by the school, so you may want to check with each college/university for the minimum necessary.

One more thing, when international students come to the U.S. and socialize with the natives, their English improves very quickly (less so with older folks). So, your daughter's English may improve naturally, even without taking special classes.

Good luck.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 10-19-2011 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: added sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: