Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 16,811 times

Advertisements

Currently we live in O.C. and have 2 daughters age 1 and almost 4. Our older daughter attends a private catholic school and we're looking for something comparable. Her tuition for pre-school is $3600 for the year; she attends half day sessions 3 days a week. We haven't decided where in Long Beach we plan to move, as we want to be near the school they attend. We would like to keep the suggestions to south Long Beach. We will be renting at first; we would like to keep our rent under $4,500 if possible.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 03:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
edit: Misread..

St Hedwigs is a good school(elem and middle) and is very close to the southern parts of Long Beach. Looking forward into high school, St Josephs is the best catholic option nearby(and a very good school)

I guess a better question is why Long Beach city only? St Hedwigs is in Los Alamitos next door and you'll be able to rent under that in Rossmoor no problem while being right on the border of Long Beach(if that is where work is)

Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Thank you for the prompt response. The reason we are thinking about Long Beach is because I'm taking a job in Van Nuys and my wife's office is at the 405/55 near South Coast Plaza. We're looking for something that gives her about a 20 mile commute as that is what she's currently accustomed to.

I'm sure I'm asking too much here, but being able to walk the kids to school would be wonderful. We don't mind spending more on rent if the school is worth it.

Not being further then 20-25 miles from South Coast Plaza is also a must.

1) 20-25 miles from South Coast
2) Private pre-k and elementary school, Catholic is possible
3) Close to school
4) Rent cap at $4500ish

Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 288enzo View Post
Currently we live in O.C. and have 2 daughters age 1 and almost 4. Our older daughter attends a private catholic school and we're looking for something comparable. Her tuition for pre-school is $3600 for the year; she attends half day sessions 3 days a week. We haven't decided where in Long Beach we plan to move, as we want to be near the school they attend. We would like to keep the suggestions to south Long Beach. We will be renting at first; we would like to keep our rent under $4,500 if possible.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Welcome to LB. It's great.

As for Catholic schools, St. Joseph is K-8 and a very good school. St. Anthony is the high school. It was great, then was down for a bit, but it is great again and getting better. Over the last few years they've raised $5M+ and invested in a number of facility improvements. All the kids get laptops now and the community seems to be very excited about the last 5 years and direction of the school.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Welcome to LB. It's great.

As for Catholic schools, St. Joseph is K-8 and a very good school. St. Anthony is the high school. It was great, then was down for a bit, but it is great again and getting better. Over the last few years they've raised $5M+ and invested in a number of facility improvements. All the kids get laptops now and the community seems to be very excited about the last 5 years and direction of the school.
Thank you.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM

If you live in Rossmoor or the Rossmoor Highlands you can walk to St Hedwig and be about 17 miles from South Coast Plaza

Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
If you live in Rossmoor or the Rossmoor Highlands you can walk to St Hedwig and be about 17 miles from South Coast Plaza
Thanks, I never heard of Rossmoor. We'll definitely look into it.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 288enzo View Post
Thanks, I never heard of Rossmoor. We'll definitely look into it.
If you end up liking Rossmoor, check out Park Estates in Long Beach as well. They are similar neighborhoods in that they are both suburban. However, in my opinion Park Estates is a lot nicer. The houses and lots are bigger. Plus the neighborhood and houses have more character and have a "classier" feel. Subjective of course but that's my two cents.

You may also look at Naples. It's a small coastal neighborhood in southeast LB. One nice thing for your wife is that she would have easy access to PCH and could take it to south coast plaza and consistenly do the drive in 30 minutes.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Probably been a while since you've been to Rossmoor Naples.. damn near 1/2 of the houses are custom or completely different from their original ranch style. Take a drive down Rossmoor Way for a looksie

Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Probably been a while since you've been to Rossmoor Naples.. damn near 1/2 of the houses are custom or completely different from their original ranch style. Take a drive down Rossmoor Way for a looksie
Nah, I'm there a bit. Like I said, it's subjective. Rossmoor is nice. Wasn't trying to put it down. I just like the older big trees, older house styles, and feel of Park Estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles