Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,561 times

Advertisements

I plan on visiting LA for tourism and have a few questions.

Is accommodation readily available in Santa Monica and Venice Beach? Of the two, which area is nicer? (I've heard SM is.)

We all know LA is a car culture, but can a tourist get around without a car, or is it almost impossible?

Also, I enjoy nightlife, so which nightlife areas are safe afterdark? (I know South Central is not safe, but I would be unlikey to be clubbing there, anyway.)

Finally, I met a guy who said he lived in Benedict Canyon Drive, an address with a zip code of 90210. It may be a bit of a general question, but what sort of money are houses in that area worth?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,877 times
Quote:
We all know LA is a car culture, but can a tourist get around without a car, or is it almost impossible?
You'll be much better off with a car. The first time I went to LA I was car-less (and money-less) and the bus workers were on strike, so it was very difficult for me (and the friend I went with) to get around. We did a lot of walking. After that I've always visited and rented a car. But maybe the locals will tell you different :-P

Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
In response to your questions:

Stay in Santa Monica. Venice is next door so you can go there to check it out, but SM has a better variety of hotel accomodations.

Definitely get a car. You will enjoy and get to see more of LA if you have your own set of wheels.

There is night life all over, but Hollywood and West Hollywood are the two most popular destinations.

Benedict Canyon is Beverly Hills so your friend must live pretty well.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
Santa Monica is generally more expensive than Venice which doesn't have that much hotel industry besides smaller ones. You should also check out Marina Del Rey (Marriott & Ritz Carlton & Courtyard) which is just south of Venice and If you want to save more money you can stay at a Airport Hotel which are in abundance and you will be convient to the beach cities just south(Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach) and West Hollywood and Santa Monica and Beverly Hills due north for your tourist activities.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM

67 posts, read 206,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Santa Monica is generally more expensive than Venice which doesn't have that much hotel industry besides smaller ones. You should also check out Marina Del Rey (Marriott & Ritz Carlton & Courtyard) which is just south of Venice and If you want to save more money you can stay at a Airport Hotel which are in abundance and you will be convient to the beach cities just south(Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach) and West Hollywood and Santa Monica and Beverly Hills due north for your tourist activities.
+1 for the cheaper airport hotels because most people never sit in their hotels while in LA and everything in LA County is accessible from the airport. Also, definitely rent a car.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
Default Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanDLA View Post
+1 for the cheaper airport hotels because most people never sit in their hotels while in LA and everything in LA County is accessible from the airport. Also, definitely rent a car.
The Airport area basically is central to everything in LA County and surrounding areas and MUCH cheaper for hotels, now you won't be able to walk directly outside and see anything but planes flying above and alot of chain restaurant and other hotels, but you have direct freeway access North and South on the 405,110,710 and not far from 105 and 10 not to mention tons of streets to the beach cities PCH 1 to Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey and Malibu from the airport and your close to everything you want to visit. You can even take a visit down to Orange County, Laguna Beach, Dana Point & Huntington right down the 405.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
if nightclubs dominate your itinerary, nix the airport hotels and stay in west hollywood, preferably on sunset. you'll be able to walk to the clubs from your hotel. if you stay someplace like the standard, you won't even have to leave the hotel to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles